GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up an EDC (Every Day Carry) gun last week, it is a Taurus PT111 G2 in 9mm. $229 plus a $50 mail-in rebate. 12+1 and a real smooth operator... if my wife ever decides to carry, this one would be the best bet for her.

taurausmillinium.png

Many will cringe at the Taurus name plus (+) the low price, but this little beauty has been quite the exception.

Many will cringe at the Taurus name plus (+) the low price, but this little beauty has been quite the exception.

Meh... to each his own... I base my gun opinions solely on direct experience. If said piece works well for you and has proven to be reliable, you are good to go!

Meh... to each his own... I base my gun opinions solely on direct experience. If said piece works well for you and has proven to be reliable, you are good to go!

Hikok45 did a video review of the little semi-auto back in June of this year, and video won me over. My 2nd Taurus by the way... they make really nice guns in my opinion.

I don't have a gun at moment. I'd like to eventually get one or a couple. Most of extra spending money goes to rockets and music gear.

Taurus had a bad rep in to 70's and well deserved from what I heard at the time. At some point in the early 80's Taurus purchased Beretta's plant in Brazil. The reputation of Taurus has been very positive since then. I have a Taurus PT101 "Beretta 92 knock off" in the 40 S&W. Had it for over 10 years, and never had any problem with it. Taurus also offers a life time warranty that is transferred to 2nd hand owners.

On a side note, I have been reading for the last year that, with the improvements with new bullet design and materials, that the 40 S&W is obsolete!

My question is: if the new bullet technology makes the 9MM more potent, why would it not make the 40S&W more potent?

The higher performance bullets (not just velocity) have over the last 15 or so years made 9mm's plenty lethal. With the newer bullets, a current 9mm is probably as lethal as a .45acp was 20 or 30 years ago, yes it has less throw weight but the newer bullets damage capabilities get the job done. I still prefer .45acp or .40s&w but a 9mm is still cheaper to practice with, and yes the same technology that makes the 9mm more potent does the exact same thing for the larger calibers, its just easier for people to hit the target with a 9mm due to more manageable recoil not that the .40s&w is really all that much more. People that hit their target kill more, hence higher lethality quotes, in the end it all comes down to statistics. As my sister likes to say "Figures lie and liers figure" (she's a statistician).

Anyone else shoot in USPSA competitions?

2013GatorClassic.jpg

2013GatorClassic13.jpg

[YOUTUBE]9N4LQKJIPlw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Picked up a scoped Crosman AR-15 style pellet rifle recently, on clearance. Added aftermarket iron sights. Tried a different airgun scope than the one supplied. Can't seem to keep it zeroed. Brought several bb gun copies of classic pistols, including one for a friend so he could tame his squirrel problem. The local Walmart has BBs and CO2 powerlets on markdown.

Took out one of the squirrels with a double tap from an Umarex Legends Makarov at 20'.

So brought the family over to my parents from the hotel room yesterday to find my father went out after everyone went to bed and did "black Friday". I'm blow away. Came home with a nice gun safe which took 5 of us to get downstairs into the basement. Spent the day putting it together and loading it. Always sounds big enough until you fill it and realize....where do I put all of this? Gun safe 2?? :) A LOT of good memories as the firearms passed through our hands into the safe. Many we used when I was a kid and each had it's own memory of a fun time with my father!

Spent Black Friday cleaning, and prepping to reload... managed to get some .30-06 loaded for my M1 Garand. I have about 70 or so left to finish the current batch. Also worked on some 38 special, will hopefully get busy with that lot later today.

IMG_8956.jpg IMG_8958.jpg IMG_8959.JPG IMG_8960.jpg

The M1 load is 155gr Nosler CC's over IMR-4895 and CCI #34 primers.

Spent Black Friday cleaning, and prepping to reload... managed to get some .30-06 loaded for my M1 Garand. I have about 70 or so left to finish the current batch. Also worked on some 38 special, will hopefully get busy with that lot later today. The M1 load is 155gr Nosler CC's over IMR-4895 and CCI #34 primers.

I've always wanted an M1 Garand. Maybe one day I'll pick one up and add it to the collection. About 6 months ago this guy was shooting one at the range and ask if I wanted to take a few shots with it. I did and it felt good. It was a little heavy compared to my modern guns but shot placement through the iron sights was beautiful at the 100 yd. mark. I could see how that rifle won WWII. I never took my eye out off target. Way better then a bolt action. Then the clip went ping and it was over. :smile:

I've always wanted an M1 Garand. Maybe one day I'll pick one up and add it to the collection. About 6 months ago this guy was shooting one at the range and ask if I wanted to take a few shots with it. I did and it felt good. It was a little heavy compared to my modern guns but shot placement through the iron sights was beautiful at the 100 yd. mark. I could see how that rifle won WWII. I never took my eye out off target. Way better then a bolt action. Then the clip went ping and it was over. :smile:

Make sure you meet the requirements, and get one NOW!

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

For the club requirement, join the Garand Collectors Association...

https://forums.thecmp.org/

These are the most trusted M1 Garand links you will ever come across, and the CMP has the best pricing. My M1 is a Wnchester made in 1942. I picked it at the CMP store in Anniston in April of 2014.

Went to my local gun shop to look at some 40 cal picked up a Glock 23. Also found out that Taurus has a recall on simis going on. Not sure what or how far back.

Because that 80% lower was 29 dollars each if you buy 3 of them (they also have blems for 29 dollars), from Tactical Machining. Given the cost of the lower plus transfer fee (which can be quite high) they are basically the same.

plus I like machining metal...

Im going to say it's for the same reason a lot of people don't buy a ready to fly rockets. For those with the tools there's a lot to enjoy in the process of building.

And no paper trail...

I'm forever confused by those who want to control the content of threads. No one forces me to read it. If the title is titillating and I go read, if it's just not my cup of tea, the back button creates immediate relief and I won't go back.
Plenty of others to check out. Much like a T.V., I decide what,if anything,to give my time to.

My e mail signature reads:

NRA #63724330
NAR# 52591
USCCA # 11237
IDPA# 06799
USPSA# 39514
SASS#17566
Also a member of the Alaska Machine Gun Association.
So yes, I shoot a little.

My e mail signature reads:

NRA #63724330
NAR# 52591
USCCA # 11237
IDPA# 06799
USPSA# 39514
SASS#17566
Also a member of the Alaska Machine Gun Association.
So yes, I shoot a little.

= too much time :), wish I had time for all those hobbies I have had to pare down now that I have a family.

I'm forever confused by those who want to control the content of threads. No one forces me to read it. If the title is titillating and I go read, if it's just not my cup of tea, the back button creates immediate relief and I won't go back.
Plenty of others to check out. Much like a T.V., I decide what,if anything,to give my time to.

Welcome to trf justin...

Did I miss something...

And no paper trail...

Oh there is a paper trail alright. When ever you buy any gun part it goes in a federal database. Especially anything off the internet.
When they come for your guns there going to know exactly who has them and how many. If you don't hand them over it will be off
to jail!

Back