GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that I just need to open my wallet and look inside :)

Thats what's currently keeping me away from this:
DP-12-Shotgun-864x486.jpg

Yeah. Money is a good reason, or lack of. I tell the near wife that my rockets are getting in the way of my guns. LOL

I visited with my Dad today and asked him about the mythical 4 gauge. He bought it in a small town in England, forget the name, when he was stationed over there while in the Air Force. Probably would've been late sixties early 70's. The guy who sold it to him had another, a flintlock, but wouldn't sell it. Dad's is a cap lock. 55" barrel and shoots 4 oz of lead shot. So I would assume a black powder gun aka muzzle-loader. Kinda like a blunderbuss. 4 gauge translates to 1/4 pound ball BTW. They are still used in the Congo from what I read. And at times were used for a coach gun. This one in particular was more than likely used to "harvest" large amounts of waterfowl in England. Don't know the time period it was built/used. We will have to go through and dig it out of storage. I shutter at the thought of shooting it. I found an actual 4 gauge round on gun broker for 28 bucks. One round.

Dad also has a gun my Granddad made. A big bench gun with cherry wood thumbhole stock with a large flat forend and a massive stainless barrel. It shoots 8mm (7.92) mauser rounds necked down to a .308 (7.62). As far as I know, he did the machining himself. For some reason I keep thinking 10mm mauser, but I am not even sure there is such a thing. Of course the thing hasn't been fired in decades. No rounds and my dad never has never gone through the trouble to have any made. Not even sure if it has any optics or it. I'm leaning toward no.

He also has a Remington rolling block 45-70, I think a #1. I actually like shooting it. So heavy it doesn't kick much. LOL

wow. 4 gauge is a thing..... I had no idea.

HE4wFOp.jpg

Sometimes referred to as punt guns (as in boat type punt). The rifle/smooth bore slug guns were reffered to by bore not gauge (even though it is technically a gauge as a 4 bore shoots the same gauge ball as a 4 gauge shotgun). Here is a video of someone shooting a 2 bore rifle ( 1.325" diameter) on the internet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iyHVvQHV8

Last edited:
My old MechWarrior friend Bulldog has a 10 gauge, he said that's about as big a gun you'd want to put up to your shoulder. It seems like Bulldog came home after hunting one day only to find two dudes walking out the front door of his house carrying off some of his stuff. Trust me, they didn't get any further than that. Bulldog kept the 10 gauge trained on them until the police arrived :)

My old MechWarrior friend Bulldog has a 10 gauge, he said that's about as big a gun you'd want to put up to your shoulder. It seems like Bulldog came home after hunting one day only to find two dudes walking out the front door of his house carrying off some of his stuff. Trust me, they didn't get any further than that. Bulldog kept the 10 gauge trained on them until the police arrived :)

Ohh mechwarrior rpg or video? I used to love the rpg and Battletech back in the day...

Ohh mechwarrior rpg or video? I used to love the rpg and Battletech back in the day...

MechWarrior 4 with the MekTek up-dates. I was SaKahn (second in commanded) of Wolf's FreeLancers, a 30 man team at it's largest and we were in The MechWarrior Leagues. I have the last version in my computer because I've heard of private servers where they still play :) I've been kinda looking but I really want to wait until I can get a Thrustmaster ll Afterburner joystick. Some of the best players used mouse and keyboard but I was in it for the Simulation. I just couldn't imagine myself bouncing across a mountain range shooting enemy mech's with a mouse :p The team was truly International with members in the UK, Germany, Russia, Japan and Malaysia. I sure miss those guys :(

I used to goose hunt with a guy who would bring a 10 gauge in case the geese would not come down. It was a single shot break action - not very heavy and with a hard metal buttplate. He never actually used it for hunting but every once in a while someone would want to shoot it. Once. I think he brought it out just because it belonged to his grand-dad as I recall.

I hunt pheasant every year in South Dakota. I am finally thinking of trading in over/under for a semi-auto primarily to help lessen the recoil. I hurt my shoulder several years ago and the big downside to any double barrel is they don't really do anything to mitigate recoil. The new semi's really do a lot to help lessen felt recoil. Plus they now all have sholder straps which makes a big difference on those long cornfield walks.

Just watching that video of the guy shooting that punt gun made my shoulder hurt. I think I need some Advil now.

Tony

Last edited:
Ouch... That dude is an idiot LOL. He's a lot tougher than me. I hate shooting my Benelli Nova pump with 3 1/2s. To the point I don't do it, 3s dish out enough punishment. I used to have some buckshot I would let others shoot. But not me. I have two uncles and a cousin with the old 10 gauge "Goose Guns". One cousin, my age, borrowed his dads to take on a crow hunt. Just for the fun of it. He was dragging it by the barrel by the end of the day. LOL. I've read of people having retinas detached from firing 12 gauge turkey loads. No thanks.

I suppose if I had a tiger coming at me and I had a 4 gauge I would shoot it. Would probably knock me off my elephant. Probably less painful to take on the tiger.

No matter the gauge from 410 up to the widow making 4 gauge and beyond (UK has a 3 and 2 I think), they all shoot the same distance, per load type. A 410 will throw #7 shot just as far as a 12 gauge - if the shot are traveling the same velocity when they leave the barrel. The difference is the big boys send a lot more shot down range and have a longer shot string. And they take a lot more powder to do it.

Last edited:
Also called a punt gun, if I'm not mistaken. Mount it on a pintle, row towards those birds, then when they startle stop the boat.

The video was pretty cool of them old English black powder guns.
If that size of brass had today's fast burn powder, it would likely not be possible to shoot from the shoulder without hurting yourself seriously.
The 3 barrel looks pretty darn cool. I wouldn't want to carry that all day through the woods though.
To me, today's modern tech guns just don't appeal to me for some reason.
I'd rather have Marlin's cowboy 45-70 that holds 10 rounds. Now that kicks, so if you wrap 10 rounds out, you'll probably won't want to do it again.
My Dad shot the M1 30-06 in WWII, and my uncle in the Korean Wall. But I prefer a good bolt action .308 to reach out and touch something.
I prefer the .22 mag or even a .17HMR over a .22LR for varmints, or so called plinking.
Last few times I went to the woods for small game I took my son's Rossi .22/20Ga convertible and used the single shot 20ga because it was the lightest thing we had to carry.
Talk about a 20ga that kicks. That thing only weighs about 3 lbs, so it transfers a LOT of recoil.
With my back problems, I'm not doing any shooting. Last time I shot trap I could hardly walk, so I stopped.

Woody with your back, sounds like you need an AR! No felt recoil :) I built one last year...2015 during Black Friday sales. Shot about a box through it getting it zeroed, and haven't shot it since.

22LR and 17HMR both have places in my arsenal. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I "tactifiied". Put a Archangel stock on it (junk BTW), red dot optics and a flashlight. For armadillo control. Its perfect for what I built it for. Fast follow up shots on the dillers. Still need to finish the darn thing. My 17 I use for long range plinking and killing crows. I can easily get 100 yards in my front yard.

I have nothing but respect for the men that lugged the M1 Garand all day and had to fire the thing. It is heavy and it kicks, not too terrible but after a few clips you feel it. Awesome weapon though. I am starting to sound like the kid in elementary school whose dad has everything....but my Dad has one of those as well. :D I love shooting it.

What I want is a double barrel 357 Magnum, a double rifle if you will. Just because. Don't know if they even exist. And I have my eye on the .26 Nosler. IMO, and may will agree, the .26 or 6.5mm is one of the most perfectly made bullets ever. High ballistic coefficient for it's weight. Such things didn't exist when I bought my 25-06, well the 260 Rem, but I didn't know about it until a few years later.

Always wanted a 458 Lott for some reason. Something I would rarely shoot. And would really have no reason to shoot. But still. It just sounds neat.

Punt gun, yes and no. Punt guns were too large to fire from the shoulder. They were made specifically for the boats, or punts. They are still mentioned in our hunting pamphlets here in Louisiana. Such as we are not allowed to use them. Dad's particular gun is what is known as a fowling piece. It predates shotguns but essentially the same thing. When flint lock punt guns came out, they were able to track birds on the wing, and they became fowling pieces. Match locks couldn't really be used to fire at flying birds for obvious reasons. Shotgun is an American term that originated sometime in the 18th century...I think.

Dad told me stories, passed on to him by his Dad about some "gentleman" duck hunters. They were their fedoras and nice suits and would walk in what amounted to a trench below the surface of the ground to their duck blind. Where a guide would be waiting with loaded fowling pieces. The guns would be attached to the blind so not to hurt the wealthy gentleman. They would drink their coffee or tea or whatever until ducks rafted up near their blind and then they would fire. Killing dozens and dozens in one volley. Then they would have a cigar or whatever and return to the lodge while the young boys would gather the dead ducks. The trench was to prevent them from flaring the ducks that were already rafted while the hunters walked to their blind. My Grandad or great Grandad, uncle.. something may have been one of the young boys collecting the ducks. Can't really remember. Just stories passed through the generations.

Last edited:
Guns and rockets did come together once during the '60s in the form of the Gyrojet Rocketgun.

AR's are fun. Kinda like Barbie toys for shooters in that you can attach or replace just about any part to suit your wants.

Recently put a Vortx Strikefire II on one of mine. Had already replaced all the stock furniture with the Magpul stuff. LOL!

@Thirsty... Check out the Century International Arms side by side coach gun. Should run around $300 or so. Sounds like it would meet your occasional needs. Yes, in Cali all sales must go through a licensed dealer for Federal and Cal DOJ forms, background check, and 10 day waiting period. BTW, at close range, 10yds or so, birdshot is just as good as 00 buck, and the plastic wad can be lethal. And you will have to aim your lupara rather than just pointing it in the general direction like in the movies.

If you're looking for close range.... I'd goto a 20ga and #3 buckshot before using 12ga birdshot.

Wifey has an 870 compact jr I got her for Christmas. I wanna buy one for myself now. The size is perfect and compared to slinging 3" 00 loads it's like there's no kick at all

I can now upload images via the Manage Attachment screen but drag and drop doesn't work using a touch screen because the screen scrolls. Therefore I cannot insert an uploaded image into the target box.

Two finger "move" doesn't work either.

My dad and I have been collecting for years, dad way longer than me, so my collection is small right now, however I have been tempted to assemble my own parts kit and have a gunsmith assemble my first MSR.

Rifles:
I have an original (pre 2006 closure) Winchester stainless featherweight with a walnut stock, Leopold 3-9x40mm scope in 270 Winchester. Used on a few antelopes for many a tasty meal
Ruger 77/22 (so angry at that company for 'tempoprarily discontinuing them. Have a good brain cell to send a strongly worded letter to their CEO) with a Nikon Monach scope. Excellent gun for rabbits:

Shotguns:
Turkish side by side (12 gauge)
Remington 870 wingmaster (16 gauge)...and no, that's not a typo. Though the gun is more of a collectors item than field
Winchester SX3. BEST FREAKING AUTOLOADER EVER!!!!! Cant begin to count the number of pheasants and fowl I've used it for. Only has jammed once, when it was about 30 below

Pistols:
Sig Sauer MK25, first handgun. Gift on my 21st birthday
Walther PPS 9mm, with night sights, steel recoil rod, Vega holster, and so righteous Gold Dots (124gr +P short barrel) for CCW

That's what I have now, but who knows where my collection will lead me!

Does anyone have a side-by-side coach gun? I don't have a huge interest in shooting, mostly because my vision is too poor. I don't do well at precision shooting at long distances, but I have had fun plinking with friends in the past when we could set up targets at whatever distance we want, and I could visibly see the tin can or whatever we were shooting at jump when hit. Lately I've been in the mood to blast some stuff, and I think a shotgun might be just the thing. I'm not really interested in spending very much for a quality gun for hunting or for trap or skeet. I'm more interested in blowing up pumpkins at about 25 yards. Anyone have any suggestions for that kind of gun?

If I had the money "THIS" is what I would get, and it's on sale this week.

Innovative Springfield
Pretty interesting

I prefer hammer fired DA/SA and decocker/safe lever pistols for carry guns, but the good ole' 1911 is still one of my favorite carry guns even though it doesn't have a decocker or DA. My current EDC is a M&P Shield .45ACP (striker fired too, but its small enough to put in the front pocket of my jeans and still draw fairly easily).

but the good ole' 1911 is still one of my favorite carry guns even though it doesn't have a decocker or DA.
For the non-1911 savvy people who've never shot one, the 1911 does have safety features a "plastic fantastic", striker-fired 9mm's do not, to include most DA/SA handguns. Specifically, the grip safety and the thumb safety. In my opinion, the beauty of a 1911 is that both are disengaged just by the act of gripping the pistol (with training). I've got Uber 9mm pistols and DA/SA ones with no visible safeties that are supposed to be 'safer', but I trust a 1911 in condition 1 more. Both can be carried 'safely' with proper training and unrelenting discipline, and all types can be deadly when carelessly handled. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

For the non-1911 savvy people who've never shot one, the 1911 does have safety features a "plastic fantastic", striker-fired 9mm's do not, to include most DA/SA handguns. Specifically, the grip safety and the thumb safety. In my opinion, the beauty of a 1911 is that both are disengaged just by the act of gripping the pistol (with training). I've got Uber 9mm pistols and DA/SA ones with no visible safeties that are supposed to be 'safer', but I trust a 1911 in condition 1 more. Both can be carried 'safely' with proper training and unrelenting discipline, and all types can be deadly when carelessly handled. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

I concur.

"A gun is always a gun." A quote attributable to Rob Leatham, I believe.

Be careful with firearms regardless of how many safety features they have. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you ~absolutely~ mean to shoot. "Look" your pistol back into the holster and if you go with pocket carry, use a pocket holster and nothing else goes in that pocket.

Personally I prefer external safeties but must admit I own Glocks. Above suggestions apply to them in spades because if the trigger is pressed, a Glock WILL fire if loaded. All guns are always loaded, right?

Back