GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its hard to do but im putting my Weatherby 30-378 back into the box and seeing what the gun shop can do for a trade in towards a new Beretta A400 xcell shotgun.

Around here it's hard to find Ranges with enough Distance to justify a Caliber like that, but Folks still buy them just because they want a Rifle like that. Then they realize that $70 for a box of 20 Cartridges gets to be a Burden.

Took the S&W M&P 9mm Shield to the smith today for the Apex Carry Kit and some Truglo TFO sights. ;)
Was told it might take two to three weeks to finish. :jaw:
Just looking forward to getting it back, relying solely on the bug .380 LCP

Around here it's hard to find Ranges with enough Distance to justify a Caliber like that, but Folks still buy them just because they want a Rifle like that. Then they realize that $70 for a box of 20 Cartridges gets to be a Burden.

Out West we have the terrain for shooting 300-500 yard shots or much longer shots for some people. Long range is where that caliber really comes out and shines. 10+ years ago when my boss wanted to do a Colorado elk hunt I got magnum fever and bought the gun but I just don't do that kind of hunting much since I've always been more of a bird hunting person. I wish the shells were still $70, I just did some online checking and there more in the $125-$150 range now.

Out West we have the terrain for shooting 300-500 yard shots or much longer shots for some people. Long range is where that caliber really comes out and shines. 10+ years ago when my boss wanted to do a Colorado elk hunt I got magnum fever and bought the gun but I just don't do that kind of hunting much since I've always been more of a bird hunting person. I wish the shells were still $70, I just did some online checking and there more in the $125-$150 range now.

Holy Cow! I guess they've gone up some since my Friend Randy baught his back in 01' for an Elk Hunt out that way.

Took the S&W M&P 9mm Shield to the smith today for the Apex Carry Kit and some Truglo TFO sights. ;)

I'd be interested in hearing how the ACK works out for you.

My younger brother is visiting me from New Hampshire. We spent a good part of the afternoon shooting clays :). We shot pretty much my entire stash of 12 gauge shells. Some were new, most were reloaded. So tonight I worked on making more shells since we plan to go out again and shoot more clays tomorrow after church.
[video=youtube;Vp4XimDaLqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4XimDaLqs[/video]

Its hard to do but im putting my Weatherby 30-378 back into the box and seeing what the gun shop can do for a trade in towards a new Beretta A400 xcell shotgun.

That is a nice looking rifle... what is it like shooting such a round?

Ouch, and I imagine that reloading would only give some relief. 30-06 is the largest caiber I own, and will probably ever own.

Awesome, love the S&W M&P in 9mm. I opted for a small cal handgun from Acedemy sports, the Tri-Star C-100. I originally purchased it for CC, but I wanted formal training in carry before I apply for the license... until then, I will shoot paper until my wrist can't take no more. Would love to see some images of the finished product.

That is a nice looking rifle... what is it like shooting such a round?
Ouch, and I imagine that reloading would only give some relief. 30-06 is the largest caiber I own, and will probably ever own.

Thanks
shooting with the muzzle brake on tames the recoil down to a comfortable level but raises the muzzle blast to a almost unbearable level. I shot it once with the muzzle break on without ear protection and I was literally deaf for a few minuets. Without the break it kicks like a mule but its not much louder than a 30-06. As for reloading it does cut the cost down significantly but it literally takes twice the powder of a 30-06 reload:y:

For size comparison L-R 30-378, 300 Weatherby Mag, 270 Win, 22-250

photo-83.jpg

Thanks for this thread... It reminded me of what I heard last Thursday about armed pirates at BALLS trying to make a quick buck by stealing a rocket from the recovery crew and selling it back to them.

Thanks for this thread... It reminded me of what I heard last Thursday about armed pirates at BALLS trying to make a quick buck by stealing a rocket from the recovery crew and selling it back to them.

It's starting to sound like that's a twisted version of what actually happened.

Were firearms ever drawn, or any threats made? If not, what relevance is their presence, especially in an area where firearms are very common?

Last edited:
Thanks
shooting with the muzzle brake on tames the recoil down to a comfortable level but raises the muzzle blast to a almost unbearable level. I shot it once with the muzzle break on without ear protection and I was literally deaf for a few minuets. Without the break it kicks like a mule but its not much louder than a 30-06. As for reloading it does cut the cost down significantly but it literally takes twice the powder of a 30-06 reload:y:

For size comparison L-R 30-378, 300 Weatherby Mag, 270 Win, 22-250

What a beast of a round that 30-378 is. I have been shooting 30-06, 7.62X54R and .308. Then I purchased my first 223 rifle (bolt action, I don't do AR's), and now I am ruined. The 223 is still loud, but the recoil is bearly noticeable... Relaoding for the 223 should be nice as well, using half the powder of the 30-06.

In case anyone from the "Armed Pirates at BALLS" thread is reading along, Nevada (home of Black Rock) is an open carry state.

There are approximately 37 states that allow this. Nothing to see here. Move along.

In case anyone from the "Armed Pirates at BALLS" thread is reading along, Nevada (home of Black Rock) is an open carry state.

There are approximately 37 states that allow this. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I too may have joked about a Reward if I had recovered the Rocket and brought it back.
You would have never known I was carrying though, as I always keep it concealed. Vermont is a "Carry how you feel like carrying" State.
Would I still have been labled as a Pirate?:confused:
Would K'tesh have even bothered to start a Thread?

Real nice scope long and big. Buy the way where is the gun.lol

60mm ocular is the largest I know of. I built this for night ratting...and I have weak eyes ;) 6x24 but I keep it at 10 and under. Even cranked up I don't get any of the side distortion others have mentioned. I have more that goes on the gun like a lazer pointer with triple picatinny mounts with 3 SureFire 7.4 volt flashlights, 2 with infrared filters and the third white light for spotting. All that is there for the night camera that will get mounted on the aluminum butt stock. The camera is a car unit with night capabilities. I'm still in the testing phase with it, waiting on another filter.

I'm a paper hunter at heart, but I have been known to pest hunt with a Crosman Classic; Here is one of three that I own, this one in .177 cal. It has the Crosman Steel breech; the Wilson rear sight; and the Blue Fork front barrel band with fiber optic blade sight...

IMG_4062_zps2a66475c.jpg

IMG_4063_zps58c0bcf8.jpg

IMG_4068_zps7b528289.jpg

I'm a paper hunter at heart, but I have been known to pest hunt with a Crosman Classic; Here is one of three that I own, this one in .177 cal. It has the Crosman Steel breech; the Wilson rear sight; and the Blue Fork front barrel band with fiber optic blade sight...

IMG_4062_zps2a66475c.jpg

IMG_4063_zps58c0bcf8.jpg

IMG_4068_zps7b528289.jpg

That's a sweet Rig!

Mine are the same grips filled with stick epoxy, the right side "thumb" rest ground off to the epoxy to remove the edge from the palm of my hand. The left side I built up the thumb rest with epoxy putty and sanded to fit. Sprayed with truck bed liner spray, a nice thick coating. It seems to stay rubbery and tacky, the grip is amazing.

Did you buy with the Blue Fork part installed or did you do it? I've read in the Crosman forum he can be hard to get ahold of and hard to deal with. I went through that with Mellon Aire parts. I have his stainless steel hollow bolt, adjustable power valve, and the last 9" shroud he made. The gun actually has a 24" barrel and the shroud makes it look shorter. Extended out it looks really spacy but unshootable; it shaves pellets.

Oh, if your interested I have the shoulder butt stock that bolts on your pistol. I can say it really helps with the pumping up of that 1399

WOW! That is pretty sharp, didn't even know Crosman had such upscale models.
Much envy....
Mine must be the crack-head budget model, drift iron sights front and rear with the standard moving cover breach that will pop open when firing on occasion. But I used to be able to plink .38 Special cases pretty steadily from 7 yards.

IMG_4062_zps2a66475c.jpg

IMG_4063_zps58c0bcf8.jpg

IMG_4068_zps7b528289.jpg

Mine are the same grips filled with stick epoxy, the right side "thumb" rest ground off to the epoxy to remove the edge from the palm of my hand. The left side I built up the thumb rest with epoxy putty and sanded to fit. Sprayed with truck bed liner spray, a nice thick coating. It seems to stay rubbery and tacky, the grip is amazing.

Did you buy with the Blue Fork part installed or did you do it? I've read in the Crosman forum he can be hard to get ahold of and hard to deal with. I went through that with Mellon Aire parts. I have his stainless steel hollow bolt, adjustable power valve, and the last 9" shroud he made. The gun actually has a 24" barrel and the shroud makes it look shorter. Extended out it looks really spacy but unshootable; it shaves pellets.

Oh, if your interested I have the shoulder butt stock that bolts on your pistol. I can say it really helps with the pumping up of that 1399

I own three Classics from Crosman, and they all have the Blue Frok bands on them. I bought them seperately and installed them myself. Sometimes you can find them for sale on the Yellow Forum (54). When I find the right grips, I plan to change them out... The factory grips are so "creaky"

WOW! That is pretty sharp, didn't even know Crosman had such upscale models.
Much envy....
Mine must be the crack-head budget model, drift iron sights front and rear with the standard moving cover breach that will pop open when firing on occasion. But I used to be able to plink .38 Special cases pretty steadily from 7 yards.

I purchased the basic models, and then add the extras like the front barrel band, steel breech and Wilson rear notch sight. The only other thing I do is polish the trigger and install a lighter spring, and an empty .22 shell for a spring guide. These are great pistols; pump them ten (I do 11) and fire away. As long as there is lead for the ammo, these should make great shooters for my grand kids.

You should probably "stock up" on pellets now. Look what happened with 22RF ammo. What was once $17 is now $85.

My Ballester-Molina. Was my dad's that I acquired a few years ago. He was a lawyer and had a client who couldn't pay, so the gentleman offered this to my dad. Not sure if dad knew what he had here.

It is a WWII issue to British special forces (has a B stamp serial number).

Has a bit of pitting on it from years of storage by my dad. First weapon I ever fired. Love .45 ACP.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412771610.533123.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412771623.587205.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412771645.784100.jpg

Launching rockets (and missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Woaa...looks really like a rare piece of history!
But I miss the link between a .45 built in Argentina and British special forces in WWII... sounds like some weird historical background to research. Or do you know more already?

But I miss the link between a .45 built in Argentina and British special forces in WWII... sounds like some weird historical background to research. Or do you know more already?
An Internet search for "Ballester-Molina" turns up numerous links, including this:
https://www.hafdasa.com/ballester-molina_argentinas_mystery_45.shtml
Ballester-Molinas were also exported to Bolivia, Columbia, Peru, Venezuela, Uruguay and probably other countries. it is estimated that some 10,000 or more Ballester-Molinas were sold to the British during World War II. The two examples I have seen both had serial numbers that begin with a "B". Also, the different issue/property numbers began with a "B". They also had the usual markings on the left side of the slide but no markings on the right side of the slide. These "B"-marked pistols were used in clandestine operations in North Africa.
Some other articles are more specific, saying that the ones sold to the British had serial numbers prefixed with "B" and within the range 12000-21000. One source says the British guns were made with steel salvaged from the Graf Spee; another says they were made from steel supplied to Britain by the USA under Lend-Lease.

I have done basic research. As indicated in another post to this, some of the BMs were used by the Brits. My number is in that range cited. It is a Colt 1911 in appearance only. I think the only parts interchangeable is the magazine.

Not a bad shooter, but not a great one either.

Launching rockets (and missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

An Internet search for "Ballester-Molina" turns up numerous links, including this:
https://www.hafdasa.com/ballester-molina_argentinas_mystery_45.shtml

Some other articles are more specific, saying that the ones sold to the British had serial numbers prefixed with "B" and within the range 12000-21000. One source says the British guns were made with steel salvaged from the Graf Spee; another says they were made from steel supplied to Britain by the USA under Lend-Lease.

I personally believe the lend-lease theory. The other sounds good, but too good 😄

Back