GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get a box of 50 22 LR for less than $5.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...100060.do?sortby=priceAscend&refType=&from=fn

Supply is always the problem here. They sell out fast.

That's Winchester Wildcat. I already have a supply of bulk plinking ammo. Shoots 1" at 50 yards. I need competition ammo. RWS50 shoots clovers (all rounds touching, that's about 3/8") at 50 meters... 40 cents a round at Midway. That's $21 a box. Plus hazmat. They have it at the range... $25 a box of 50. I expect a little inflation, but damn. Like I said... Don't blink. You'll get priced out.

Seems a little like taking a couple of years off from rocketry, then coming back and finding out that the $20 H motors you used to fly are now $80 a throw.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...34227.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

I don't know if this is the right one

But I will be honest, target/match ammo is always going to cost a lot. It would help if you buy them in bulk to save money. The problem with 22LR is you can't reload it.

I used to remember 5.56 costing 3 dollars a box and during the ammo shortage it was more than 10. It has come down a bit now.

Last edited:
...I need competition ammo. RWS50 shoots clovers (all rounds touching, that's about 3/8") at 50 meters... 40 cents a round at Midway. That's $21 a box. Plus hazmat. ...
Hmm, Midway isn't the only place to buy ammo:

https://www.championshooters.com/in..._id=1605&virtuemart_category_id=36&Itemid=111

(They sell it for $16.50 a box.) RWS is top of the line and has alway been very expensive. All ammo has gone way up and is now on the way back down. A good example is the match Norma stuff that Midway sells. It shoots very well. The price on that has come down (on sale) about 40%. RWS was never $5 box, at least not in the last 10 years that I've been shooting 22LR. The lowest I can recall was more like $14/box.

And there is no Hazmat on ammo. Heck, my last order of 500 rounds of .45 ACP from Midway had free shipping. 500 rounds of .45 was $134 delivered. Midway is now running specials quite often where orders over $99 include free shipping, including ammo. (Except full cases, which is why I ordered only 500 rounds.) That deal would apply to 22LR ammo as well.

Tony

That's the stuff. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than I could find. Thank you!

Used to use it for rimfire silhouette. That was some years ago, and it was $7 a box at the range. (At the time, a brick of bulk 22 was going for right around $15-$17.) Drove out a couple of weeks ago, that same range has the R50 for $25 a box.

Now I need to decide if competing is worth the dough. It sure is fun.

Ever shoot rimfire silhouette? The chickens are easy, the pigs darn near knock themselves down, and the rams are so big they're hard to miss, but you'll swear those damn turkeys are ducking out of the way! It's enough to make you want to chew on the spent brass. But it sure is a fun way to spend a morning.

When I saw you mention Norma it brought back memories of attempting to get whatever amount we could of N1020. By far the best powder for a .357 Magnum possible. Let's say you have a full case of 2400, N1020 would give you 100-150 more FPS out of a pistol in the same range of chamber pressures. 1350 FPS became 1500. This was 40 years ago. We bugged the local dealers so much we made it up the food chain to major wholesalers, no dice. Years of searching=nothing. Ahhh, the Holy Grail of Magnum powders...

Rust blued Remington 700 recoil lug. Proof of concept, since I just wanted to find how well rust bluing worked.

001.jpg

I do not have any hydrochloric acid at the time, so I took some diluted acid based drain cleaner (I was going to use it for anodizing, it's sulfuric acid) and rubbed it on the part. Then I placed it in a bag for it to rust. Then I boil the part in distilled water, card it off, repeat it a few times, and I get this. Not perfect but a LOT better than cold bluing.

I plan on doing this for any chrome-moly receivers I complete in the future... I don't think I can do barrels because I don't have a pot big enough for it, but will see...

If I can only rust blue stainless steel...

Guns & rockets are like, my two favorite hobbies :cool: My family has all sorts of things; 12 guage Remington 870, Remington 783 30-06, Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 lever action, AR-15, M4 (heavily modified) Glock 22 .40, S&W M&P Shield .45, DPMS Panther arms .308 semi auto, and MORE! :)
And for rockets, my family & I have a lot, HPR rockets; Hyperloc, Eagle Claw 54mm, Darkstar 54mm, LOC Graduator 38mm, and MORE.
And for LPR & MPR, wow, probably have about, 80 of those.
Yeah, we love having fun, and I LOVE things that fly, and have black powder, and are loud, so I love RC planes, rockets, guns, fireworks, and more.
Sorry for kinda going off-topic.
Thanks,

Rust bluing
For long parts pic pipe can be used for the humid step. It doesn't have to be hot, hot is just faster.
For the rust blue to work well the metal must be totally free of oil and clean. I have used industrial cleaner followed by an MEK rinse.

M

1st post and new to this forum from sarasota florida.I have been collecting guns since 1980.Lots of full autos before 1985 before laws changed and full autos were very cheep. I'm also a NRA instructor part time.My father had me into small rockets when I was very young, I remember it very well,I was amazed.Know on to 40 years later.My girlfriend Has a 13 year old grandson.Father passed away about a year ago.We have never been very close so I thought about sharing a hobby with him.I had thought about teaching him about guns and spend some range time with him but his mother will not let me.He did tell me about helping a friend build a couple of small rockets and launching them off.He seemed very excited telling his grandmother about being able to push the launch button with his friend.So I thought about getting into rockets with him.Know on to my question What would you all advise to get to start with that would be a little better than the smallest rocket.
Also what launch pad,ignition system and tools needed.something that we can grow in to larger rocket sizes but ignition and pad will still work
Mabe some links on what to order would be very helpfull.I'm hoping this may bring us closer together.
Thank you for any help
Ken

1st post and new to this forum from sarasota florida.I have been collecting guns since 1980.Lots of full autos before 1985 before laws changed and full autos were very cheep. I'm also a NRA instructor part time.My father had me into small rockets when I was very young, I remember it very well,I was amazed.Know on to 40 years later.My girlfriend Has a 13 year old grandson.Father passed away about a year ago.We have never been very close so I thought about sharing a hobby with him.I had thought about teaching him about guns and spend some range time with him but his mother will not let me.He did tell me about helping a friend build a couple of small rockets and launching them off.He seemed very excited telling his grandmother about being able to push the launch button with his friend.So I thought about getting into rockets with him.Know on to my question What would you all advise to get to start with that would be a little better than the smallest rocket.
Also what launch pad,ignition system and tools needed.something that we can grow in to larger rocket sizes but ignition and pad will still work
Mabe some links on what to order would be very helpfull.I'm hoping this may bring us closer together.
Thank you for any help
Ken

Hi New Guy :) There are starter sets available from most dealers https://www.hobbylinc.com/ These guys have good prices. Near the top of the Watering Hole page there is Rocketry Resources thread. Most of the good rocket companies are listed there, Hobby Linc is just one. As for a good starter set the one with the Alpha III is a good one. Launcher, rockets, and engines make up these sets and the launcher will handle most of the Model Rockets up to D class motors.

I have started building a field target rifle again. Although airgun related, this rifle is no less a slouch. Anyway, it is a Benjamin Marauder, with a few custom upgrades. Once completed I will try and get some pics uploaded. It seems every fall of the year, I get bit by the airgun and firearm bug...

I have started building a field target rifle again. Although airgun related, this rifle is no less a slouch. Anyway, it is a Benjamin Marauder, with a few custom upgrades. Once completed I will try and get some pics uploaded. It seems every fall of the year, I get bit by the airgun and firearm bug...
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Haven't seen this thread before, though I don't freequent the watering hole much. I think it's fitting that guns and rockets go together. I'm going to ARLISS next week and will be taking my AIAT to sight in the new Vortex Razor AMG I got for it several months ago. Wide open spaces and no people :).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with a Marlin Model 60, .22lr? My older brother might buy one, and is curious if anyone uses it for squirrel hunting, I'm just asking for him (It's a favor, :grin: )

Thanks,

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with a Marlin Model 60, .22lr? My older brother might buy one, and is curious if anyone uses it for squirrel hunting, I'm just asking for him (It's a favor, :grin: )

Thanks,
Good little rifles, I have one thats nearly 40 years old and had who knows how many rounds put through it. That being said there are not many aftermarket accessories for them like say a Ruger 10/22 but the basic rifle is solid. Keep it clean, but don't disassemble it any more than necessary for cleaning as any alteration/damage of the feeding system (intentional or accidental) can cause jamming and frustration. My experience has been positive with the Model 60. Buy several different brands and velocities of ammo to find which ones the gun likes to feed and group. It will do squirrels and rabbits real good out to 75 yards or so (mine will even group 1.5" at 100 yards with iron sights). When oiling the action dont use more than a thin film (enough to leave a fingerprint) as too much can affect how the action works and will assist the collection of dirt and grit.

Thanks to you and wiki, I now know what a potato masher is, very interesting, thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Thanks to you and wiki, I now know what a potato masher is, very interesting, thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Sorry for not providing a better description... but my son and I had just started Band of Brothers over, and they used that term frequently when fighting the Nazi's.

So here is the custom airgun I have been building; a Benjamin Marauder in .177. New stock, barrel, trigger work, a little tuning, and this rifle is shooting shamrocks at 35 - 40 yards...

1xHWpHs.jpg

w93swj5.jpg

Back