GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably start with a 9mm. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful. There's so many out there, glock 17 or 19, beretta Fs92, s&w m&p 9, Springfield XD that's just to name a few. I'd buy quality. Check out pistol ranges. They usually rent guns to try out. A lot of it is feel & what you are comfortable with.

You seemed to like my Glock 30?

GUNS & ROCKETS - back to to top of the watering hole!

Got a chance earlier this month to shoot my Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor out to 500 yards. Not a hard shot for this round, but was still nice to land a couple right near the bull at 500.

View attachment 295609 View attachment 295610 View attachment 295606 View attachment 295607 View attachment 295608

Justin, nice shooting. I did not know you got a 6.5. Have not been shooting in close to a year- need to take care of that.

Ok, gun dudes... time for me to play...
If I were to save up for a first pistol, where should I start. Something economical but good value. Ideas?

Eric, that is a loaded question. Are you thinking of a home defense/ target pistol, or something for concealed carry? Typically, what is really comfortable to shoot for extended shooting sessions tends to be to large/heavy for concealment.

If looking for a general purpose a 9mm, 40, or 45 are all good. Currently only have a 45 out of those three calibers, but it is a serious one ( Springfield Custom Shop V16 Long Slide ported).

Information on intended purpose will help to give you the best opinion from us gun guys.

I think it's about time that I parted with one of my firearms but, unlike the few I've sold over the years, I've not found a buyer within my circle of friends. So off to google I go and I find ARMSLIST .com out there. It seems to have state specific (as you would expect) free classified ads for sellers. Has anyone here had any experience with this site? From what I can see they *seem* legit but I'd feel better if I can find someone that's actually had a good experience there.

I'd probably start with a 9mm. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful. There's so many out there, glock 17 or 19, beretta Fs92, s&w m&p 9, Springfield XD that's just to name a few. I'd buy quality. Check out pistol ranges. They usually rent guns to try out. A lot of it is feel & what you are comfortable with.

+1 the try rental guns at pistol ranges, also try guns in .40 S&W and .45 ACP as they along with 9mm are three of the most popular pistol calibers. I wouldn't worry about .25 ACP or .32 calibers to start with, due to the fact that the guns tend to be cheap and function erratically. My favorite .32 is the Keltec P32, however it really only seems to function reliably with Winchester Silvertips, but I have a wallet holster for it (looks like a wallet with a hole in it for the trigger finger) so its really easy to conceal, once again its not one I would recommend for a novice shooter since its also small and slightly awkward for people with larger hands to handle. My EDC is a Springfield XDM .45 ACP.

Eric, that is a loaded question. Are you thinking of a home defense/ target pistol, or something for concealed carry? Typically, what is really comfortable to shoot for extended shooting sessions tends to be to large/heavy for concealment.

If looking for a general purpose a 9mm, 40, or 45 are all good. Currently only have a 45 out of those three calibers, but it is a serious one ( Springfield Custom Shop V16 Long Slide ported).

Information on intended purpose will help to give you the best opinion from us gun guys.

Definitely not for carry. More for target shooting. And more looking for a price range to know where to set my savings target. That way as I approach an amount near what would be enough to purchase, I can start zeroing in on the specific model, etc.

Definitely not for carry. More for target shooting. And more looking for a price range to know where to set my savings target. That way as I approach an amount near what would be enough to purchase, I can start zeroing in on the specific model, etc.

For target shooting, not much beats .22 LR in a Ruger MkII/III, Browning Buckmark, or several other well made semi-autos.

I think it's about time that I parted with one of my firearms but, unlike the few I've sold over the years, I've not found a buyer within my circle of friends. So off to google I go and I find ARMSLIST .com out there. It seems to have state specific (as you would expect) free classified ads for sellers. Has anyone here had any experience with this site? From what I can see they *seem* legit but I'd feel better if I can find someone that's actually had a good experience there.

Have sold a few guns on armslist and Florida Gun Trader. I always put in my advertisement that I require a receipt with valid drivers license. If they can't comply then I don't sell. You can always use Gunbroker too. Have had many transactions with no hitch. I just prefer US postal money order for payment, this way no PayPal fees.

Have sold a few guns on armslist and Florida Gun Trader. I always put in my advertisement that I require a receipt with valid drivers license. If they can't comply then I don't sell. You can always use Gunbroker too. Have had many transactions with no hitch. I just prefer US postal money order for payment, this way no PayPal fees.

https://www.gunbroker.com/ My preferred online gun auction/sale house.

What about those Saturday Night Special thing?

Referring to the old school 38 Special? Although not a snub nose, I have a Taurus Model 82 in 38 Special, and love it! A heavy barreled, no jamming, shoot'n son-of-a-gun! It was a Security turn in that I picked up off of Gunbroken for $199... one of the best gun buys I have made. The 38 Special is also fun to load for, as it makes for a great target round.

Eric, if really for target shooting a 22 is hard to beat. I have a Browning Buckmark that is a great little pistol.

If you want a target pistol in a larger caliber might I suggest a revolver in 357 mag. You can shoot 38 special in it, and they are simpler to maintain. Also, no moving barrel tends to make it more accurate.

Eric, if really for target shooting a 22 is hard to beat. I have a Browning Buckmark that is a great little pistol.

If you want a target pistol in a larger caliber might I suggest a revolver in 357 mag. You can shoot 38 special in it, and they are simpler to maintain. Also, no moving barrel tends to make it more accurate.

Most .22 target pistol barrels are fixed, only the breech mechanism moves. However you are correct that a .22 revolver CAN be more accurate. I shot competitive bulls-eye type matches for a number of years, every shooter I know used a Ruger MkII, S&W Model 41, High Standard Victor or other HS models including a HS 10x ( a particularly valuable and collectable HS. I shot a S&W 41 (early model) and a High Standard Model 107 Supermatic Citation w a 6" fluted barrel and a lightweight aluminum sleeved 5" custom barrel. We did have one shooter that used the new at the time SIG .22 target pistol (rebranded Hammerli semi-auto).

Most out of the box .22 target pistols are accurate and fun to shoot, with a bit of trigger tuning, ammo testing and rim thickness sorting, some Rugers, Brownings, and even Beretta target pistol can be unbelievably accurate s for a small investment. Ruger Mk II/III series pistols probably have more after market accessories than any other brand or style.

Wow,, too cool Mark..
I have a Browning Buckmark 22 target pistol too..
Really great,, lota fun,,
I haven't shot in years though..

Teddy

Two thumbs up on the Browning Buckmark .22 semi-auto. My son has one and loves it. They are available in a wide variety of styles besides the scary looking "assault style". But they function the same.

Browning-Buck-Mark-Plus-Fuchsia-051505-3193.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Eric, if you want to target shoot (plinking) in a casual way, you can't go wrong with any Ruger or Browning 22LR. 22LR rifles are just as much fun for plinking. A 22LR revolver is an other option. Safer and easier to clean & maintain.
Visit some gun ranges, most in my area have rentals, so you can see which one is comfortable and accurate.

Two thumbs up on the Browning Buckmark .22 semi-auto. My son has one and loves it. They are available in a wide variety of styles besides the scary looking "assault style". But they function the same.

View attachment 296730

I'd take a Buckmark over the Ruger MK III any day. A whole lot easier to take down!

What you all need is my favorite plinker. A Springfield Custom Shop V16. It is a 6", ported, 1911 45 acp. Lovely pistol. I had a few accuracy issues which boiled down to the single stack being to slim for my hands. Bought a set of Hogue over molded grips and tightened groups right up. This is not my pistol, but is exactly what it looks like except for the grips.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1468371923.850116.jpg

What you all need is my favorite plinker. A Springfield Custom Shop V16. It is a 6", ported, 1911 45 acp. Lovely pistol. I had a few accuracy issues which boiled down to the single stack being to slim for my hands. Bought a set of Hogue over molded grips and tightened groups right up. This is not my pistol, but is exactly what it looks like except for the grips.

View attachment 296735

That's gorgeous...

Just put an Aero Precision 308 lower in jail, can't wait to pick it up on a few days! Then comes the build which will take a few months.

Just put an Aero Precision 308 lower in jail, can't wait to pick it up on a few days! Then comes the build which will take a few months.
Crazy that we have to wait 10 days to take possession of a machined block of aluminum, isn't it? Especially when most people already own other firearms making the "cooling off" period kind of a joke.

View attachment 296735

image.jpg

My Springfields in their range case:

Talking about .45 Springers and 22 target pistols, here are my favorites. The Pro is really a great shooter and with that 20lpi checkering and those 10-8 grips no matter how sweaty my hands get in this crazy Texas heat I never worry about losing my grip.

I do agree that for target shooting a .22LR can't be beat, especially now that ammo is becoming readily available again. Like rharshberger, I also shoot a Model 41 and a High Standard Supermatic (Trophy model) as well as a Colt Woodsman Match Target. But lately my favorite .22LR target pistol is a Nelson Custom 22LR conversion on a Dan Wesson Valor frame with a red dot sight. While I still really like iron sights, my eyes aren't what they used to be. But I did just win my family's annual shooting contest against nephews half my age using iron sights on a Model 41 so I felt pretty good about that.

The problem with target shooting is that if you get hooked it can make rocketry seem like an inexpensive hobby.

Tony

Pro-right-glamour.jpgPro-left-glamour.jpgValor-Nelson-left-new.jpgValor-Nelson-right-new.jpg

Last edited:
Back