GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a shell stuck in a reloading die.. it sheared the rim off when I tried to withdraw the press. No idea why but no matter what I did, including actually cutting the case in half lengthwise would get it to budge. Could it have actually welded to the die?

I hate when that happens... Brass is soft, you can chisel it out, otherwise replace the die.

Doubtful. Did you use lube?

That would be my question as well. I have used too much lube on some 7.62X54R cases and ruined them with dents... they were nice Lapua cases too.

I did, perhaps I didn't use enough of it. I was resizing some lake city brass which was really difficult to resize.

I have used too much lube on some 7.62X54R cases and ruined them with dents... they were nice Lapua cases too.

They are not ruined; You can safely fire them and the dent will be gone.
Fire forming is a wonderful thing.

Went to the range today with my 30-06 rifle and my SKS 762×39 along with my 300 blk out pistol. Last time out my bolt would jam on my 300 so I did some adjustment to it and it runs great now. Between the three guns I went through about 250 rounds of ammo.:D

IMG_20150722_093545_974.jpg

That would be my question as well. I have used too much lube on some 7.62X54R cases and ruined them with dents... they were nice Lapua cases too.

Been there. Ruined three cases before I figured it out. Now I make my own lube from 10% lanolin and 90% rubbing alcohol.

Went to the range today with my 30-06 rifle and my SKS 762×39 along with my 300 blk out pistol. Last time out my bolt would jam on my 300 so I did some adjustment to it and it runs great now. Between the three guns I went through about 250 rounds of ammo.:D

What kind of SKS do you have ,Chinese ,Russian or Yugo ? For the last several years up here in Canada ,we`ve been seeing boatloads of Russian SKS`s in all forms and years in Birch or laminated stocks.Prior to the Ruskies ,all you could find was the Chinese variety ,now not so much at all.I used to notice ,while in the USA ,all I saw were the Yugos (beautiful version) ,again here in Canada ,you rarely ever see Yugos in any numbers.

Now with all the surplus ammo (corrosive and non) the SKS is a cheap rifle to shoot ,and built to handle anything.

Myself ,I own 5 assorted Russian and 4 Chinese ,but sadly......no Yugosalvian ! Bummer !

Happy shooting!

Paul T

I'm not home right now to look and see, but I think Its Chinese. It has been modernized with a synthetic stock. Real nice shooter. I buy a 1000 round case of Wolf ammo when I can.

IMG_20140928_121921_308.jpg

I'm not home right now to look and see, but I think Its Chinese. It has been modernized with a synthetic stock. Real nice shooter. I buy a 1000 round case of Wolf ammo when I can.[/QUOTE

I had the same Dragunov type stock on one of mine ,but switched over to a TAPCO.I too buy bulk 7.62 x 39 when it comes on sale (that and 5.52/.223 and 9 mm)

Cheers

Paul T

Going to the range tomorrow morning if it don't rain. Have some once fired brass to load up and try out. This brass is Remington 300 Blk out with a125g Sierra bullets. Supersonic loads. With what I have and what I load now I will have a 100 rounds to run in my new AR15 pistol.

IMG_20150727_182921_919.jpg

IMG_20150726_090839_849.jpg

IMG_20150726_090650_600.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of SKS do you have ,Chinese ,Russian or Yugo ? For the last several years up here in Canada ,we`ve been seeing boatloads of Russian SKS`s in all forms and years in Birch or laminated stocks.Prior to the Ruskies ,all you could find was the Chinese variety ,now not so much at all.I used to notice ,while in the USA ,all I saw were the Yugos (beautiful version) ,again here in Canada ,you rarely ever see Yugos in any numbers.

Now with all the surplus ammo (corrosive and non) the SKS is a cheap rifle to shoot ,and built to handle anything.

Myself ,I own 5 assorted Russian and 4 Chinese ,but sadly......no Yugosalvian ! Bummer !

Happy shooting!

Paul T

Count me in that club. I have a 1953 Russian that can handle anything but repeated shooting. This thing is horrible with heat management, which is understandable for a 1953 vintage, but even the later Yugo's have this issue. Since it uses a .311 bullet, it cost more to reload than .308 for my FNAR. So far, I haven't managed to make the FNAR barrel warm, let alone hot. Of course the FNAR is 55 years newer, and well, it's not Russian.

Inside of 300 yards, the .223 is an economical accurate shooter. Out to 800 the .308, and beyond that the .338LM. I like to shoot for accuracy at distance and the SKS just isn't up to the task at about any range, so it's just collecting dust now. But I still have it.

Last edited:
I'm going to switch to cast bullets. Penn bullet sells them at 100 per 1000, with reduced load it would be around 20 cents a shot instead of over 40. They moly coat it for 15 per 1000 which supposedly boosts its speed and reduces leading at high speeds.

I'm going to switch to cast bullets. Penn bullet sells them at 100 per 1000, with reduced load it would be around 20 cents a shot instead of over 40. They moly coat it for 15 per 1000 which supposedly boosts its speed and reduces leading at high speeds.

Been using the 230gr RN in my .45 for some time now. For practice rounds, it's hard to beat. But I carry hand loaded Golden Sabers.

How many you going through in a typical practice?

I'm shooting 308, so I'll be using a light load of powder like green dot/red dot/unique on it.

I use about 40 rounds per session simply because the recoil was enough that if I shot more, my shoulder would get sore. Also the barrel gets too hot after that many rounds too. Furthermore I couldn't go much lower than 50 cents a round even reloading with jacketed bullets due to the cost of the bullet (even cheapest bullet costs around 20 cents a piece if I buy in more than 1000 quantities). With cast bullets being 10 cents a piece, and the light load using less powder, I could shoot for less than 15-20 cents a round.

I'm shooting 308, so I'll be using a light load of powder like green dot/red dot/unique on it.

I use about 40 rounds per session simply because the recoil was enough that if I shot more, my shoulder would get sore. Also the barrel gets too hot after that many rounds too. Furthermore I couldn't go much lower than 50 cents a round even reloading with jacketed bullets due to the cost of the bullet (even cheapest bullet costs around 20 cents a piece if I buy in more than 1000 quantities). With cast bullets being 10 cents a piece, and the light load using less powder, I could shoot for less than 15-20 cents a round.

I've never tried casting, or using cast bullets in a rifle, just the 45. You mentioned a light load. Is this to avoid using gas checks?

Generally, if I'm out with the .308, I'll go through 4 - 5 hundred rounds in a day with the FNAR, But only because it has butt pad that's 2 inches of some sort of jell that turns a 308 into a 223. As stated in a prior post, the heat management is amazing. I can go through all 100 rds and it doesn't get hot to the touch.

Last edited:
No, reduced load because lead can't go 2600fps like jacketed bullets can, and so you have to use a reduced speed load (around 1600fps) at most. Most rifle powders can't function at those levels. Using reduced load also greatly reduces powder consumption.

I can't afford to shoot 500 rounds a session even with cast bullets.

No, reduced load because lead can't go 2600fps like jacketed bullets can, and so you have to use a reduced speed load (around 1600fps) at most. Most rifle powders can't function at those levels. Using reduced load also greatly reduces powder consumption.

I can't afford to shoot 500 rounds a session even with cast bullets.

Learned something new. I never had to worry about VNE on 45 ACP. I can't afford to shoot that much either. It's a constant struggle between rockets, the wife and shooting. Good thing I added on to the dog house.

My Rugged Buddy saw horse leg set arrived last Sunday but I haven't started working on the shooting bench top yet. Need to rummage through the plywood sheets on my mobile lumber rack to find something suitable.

The fall shooting season is upon us, and this weekend look to have perfect weather for shooting my Marauder off of my Rugged Buddy bench... So what I want to know is; did you build your bench yet?

This Christmas time I'm looking to get a pair of 1911 Colts in .38 Super. I'm leaning to the Colt manufacture over the import brands but these Rock Island made in the Philippines are very tempting, especially at these prices.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506599480#DESC

Maybe one of you can say something about Rock Island. Big thing is the interchangeability of parts. There is, of course, my need to modify. Cutts Compensator for one thing, better sights for another. And, yes, two pistols. I know where I can get 18 round magazines legally, firepower is the main thing. Loaded with Raptor 90 grain frangible bullets the round cooks out of the barrel at around 1550-1600 FPS giving .357 Magnum type numbers in a autoloader. And I like the bling of polished nickel :)

By the way I just got an antique Argentine Mauser.

I'm having trouble finding ammo for it but I read that you can form it from a 30-06 case. How hard is it?

Friends,

do we have somewhere in the Watering Hole or another subforum on Guns and Rockets? I love to build, launch and talk about rockets..but I also love to exchange views with other sport shooters... I do believe my Contrail Hybrid motors are in good company with my guns & rifles... This is obviously not about moral perceptions but simply sharing another hobby in common...

Thx for pointing me on the right subforum...
Denis

I go on to gun forums myself. There's one that there's several international members on. (Ich sehe Sie wohnen im Deutschland) been a few years since I took German, I hope that was coherent. Check out the forum Gun and Game, very welcoming forum, and I bet they would like looking at rocketry as well!

The same idiots that want $1500 for an Estes Saturn V....

A lot of things saved people in WWII, seen so many of those shot up Zippos. Wouldn't spend the money just on a story. That pistol would be better served in the NRA museum, they have a Smith and Wesson J frame (38 special I think) that was found under the World Trade Center and melted from 9/11. Powerful thing to see.

Anyways, ramblings aside, would those $1500 Estes Saturn V's be original ones from the first year of production?

Yep. Some ask outrageous prices for the K series of rockets. They all deserve a :facepalm: and a :eyeroll: plus a :lol:

The fall shooting season is upon us, and this weekend look to have perfect weather for shooting my Marauder off of my Rugged Buddy bench... So what I want to know is; did you build your bench yet?
Funny you should ask about that.

Between being under the weather for the past two months, misplacing the Rugged Buddy hinges and remembering where I stashed them, the answer would be no. However, I was toying around with the legs a few days ago and contemplating the correct shape for the bench top. Need to google the Rugged Buddy shooting bench plans so that I can layout the top on a nice piece of plywood I found in my project stock.

Still looking for a nice semi-precision air rifle and scope, tho.

This Christmas time I'm looking to get a pair of 1911 Colts in .38 Super. I'm leaning to the Colt manufacture over the import brands but these Rock Island made in the Philippines are very tempting, especially at these prices.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506599480#DESC

Maybe one of you can say something about Rock Island. Big thing is the interchangeability of parts. There is, of course, my need to modify. Cutts Compensator for one thing, better sights for another. And, yes, two pistols. I know where I can get 18 round magazines legally, firepower is the main thing. Loaded with Raptor 90 grain frangible bullets the round cooks out of the barrel at around 1550-1600 FPS giving .357 Magnum type numbers in a autoloader. And I like the bling of polished nickel :)

Try Bud's Gun Shop, they usually have some of the best prices on 1911's. Rock Island makes a nice product, and there are alot of users who swear by them.

Would anyone pay 1500 dollars for a non working 1911 just because it has a story (needs FFL and all too)

https://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506104955

Not buying a story, but would love to have a WWII 1911. I have been watching the CMP... rumor has it, that they may be selling the 1911 in the future, as the US opens it's stores and sells of it's WWI surplus. [fingers crossed]

By the way I just got an antique Argentine Mauser.

I'm having trouble finding ammo for it but I read that you can form it from a 30-06 case. How hard is it?

An antique Mauser needs a light load I would think. Romanian surplus would foot the bill just right:

150gr 8mm Romanian Surplus The downside is, it is corrosive.

There is a lot of info about forming 8mm from 30-06 cases. There are case forming dies available... heck, there are youtube videos that show the entire process. Would make for a fun winter project

Funny you should ask about that.

Between being under the weather for the past two months, misplacing the Rugged Buddy hinges and remembering where I stashed them, the answer would be no. However, I was toying around with the legs a few days ago and contemplating the correct shape for the bench top. Need to google the Rugged Buddy shooting bench plans so that I can layout the top on a nice piece of plywood I found in my project stock.

Still looking for a nice semi-precision air rifle and scope, tho.

Not to worry, my rugged buddy sat in the corner of my shop for 3-years before I dug it out and made my bench...

No, Argentine mauser uses 7.65 Argentine/Belgium round. Cases can be made from 30-06 or other mauser cartridges...

If anyone got some spent 30-06, 270 win, 8mm mauser brass will you let me know?

It also needs .311 bullets but I also read out there that people have shot standard .308 bullets out of mosins, SKS, AK with acceptable accuracy. I slugged the bore and it reads about .312. It seems SAMMI spec for 30 caliber bullets is anywhere from .308 to .312 for the lands, and my rifle has tall lands (a jacketed 308 bullet still engages very well to the rifling)

I thought der Waffen ist verboten in Deustcheland

Firearms are not illegal in Germany. They are regulated though, and the law is comparably strict.

In a nutshell:
Firearms need to be registered and stored in a secure manner. To own a firearm, a license is required which in turn requires some conditions to be met like minimum age (18y), trustworthiness (e.g. not a felon), personal suitability (e.g. no alcohol/drug addiction, mental illness, suicidal tendencies), relevant knowledge and a recognized "need" (e.g. for sporting, hunting, historical significant collecting, known security risks). To carry firearms, an additional license is required which is only issued on the basis of a concrete security need. Typically it is only granted to security professionals or the couriers of valuable goods although a ordinary citizens might receive a carry license if a clear threat to them exists (rare).

Reinhard

Back