GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legranddudu

Reaction score
Friends,

do we have somewhere in the Watering Hole or another subforum on Guns and Rockets? I love to build, launch and talk about rockets..but I also love to exchange views with other sport shooters... I do believe my Contrail Hybrid motors are in good company with my guns & rifles... This is obviously not about moral perceptions but simply sharing another hobby in common...

Thx for pointing me on the right subforum...
Denis

Thx Bill,

thats a fair answer. I thought you guys would be more relaxed as we are in Europe....Lets close it before it goes wrong...

Have a nice day and forgot my post ;-)

There have been several threads on this subject that went on for some time. Not all of them were closed or deleted. As long as they remain civil, there really isn't an issue. The problem lately seems to be keeping everyone civil.

I love to shoot, and I know a lot of rocket people who do as well. Generally leave it to talk at launches though, and I nearly never bring it up much on forums. Just degrades too quickly

I love the shooting sports as well...
I sure wish i went trap and / or skeet shooting more often......
I also love to hunt even though I haven't had the chance in recent years...
I've never heard anyone mention the shooting sports on this forum...
I've certainly never heard or seen anything derogatory about it...
It would be a great addition to the "Watering Hole".....

If someone isn't into guns I don't see why it would be bad for those that are to dicuss it here.......

Denis,,
I thought the laws were stricter in Europe then they are here....
So much so that it would be a problem owning a gun......
I must be wrong about that...
I am sorry for my ignorance.......

Teddy

Hey Denis,,,
That's pretty funny...
OK,, sorry guy's,,, lets just forget I brought it up.....

I bet this goes for a half dozen pages......
lol,,,lol,,,lol

Interestingly enough, I have found a lot of people in the rocketry community are also gun enthusiasts. I think it's also worth mentioning, we do have common needs and interests, such as powder availability..

love both ... one of my pass-times I never debate about, so I am comfortable posting :) lol. Just miscellanea, no real place, which I guess you can understand. There have been some really cool man-cave pictures posted on here of guns on the walls of basements, and Ahhhh...kids shooting guns.

Thinking about a new 300blk build.

_5286257070524334097_Photo.jpg

_5286257070524334112_Photo.jpg

I love both too.
I was a Gunsmith/Sporting Goods Department Manager at a Local Hardware Store from 1996-2002.
I still occasionally do work for Friends and assemble my own AR Style Rifles.

There have been some really cool man-cave pictures posted on here of guns on the walls of basements, and Ahhhh...kids shooting guns.

Just be careful giving an Uzi to a 9 year old. Accidents can happen, as seen on today's news...

I've actually been to one of these places in Vegas where you can shoot machine guns and submachine guns of various kinds --- not the one where this accident happened, but it sounds similar. The place I went was really well run, and every second was supervised.

I agree with some of what you said.
This is a rocket forum, even in the water hole there should be some rocket connection to a thread. If your cat gets scabies I real don't care and I do not want to even have to skip over it. Just like s6 doesn't want to read about guns.

There should be a purge of all threads with no rocket connection.

M

I am a shooter as well.

Some of my best childhood memories are of my dad and I on hunting trips in the woods from about age 6 or so and continuing until I left for college.

Never been much of a fisherman although on my mom's side of the family fishing was a passion as was racing outboards on the Hudson River back in the 1930's. There's a race boat in the Smithsonian that carries the name of my granddad's original outboard racer "The Dancer". My uncle was part of the team and named it in memory of his dad: "Dancer II".

I'm a living time machine.

I seriously underestimated the crowd when I had a custom hat made that said "Reload Motors-Not Ammunition" during the 'troubles' back in the early 90's. It was taken as anti-gun (which it certainly wasn't meant to) but as a point to be made we are by nature a law-abiding group of citizens fighting for our High Power Rocketry rights-i.e. a harmless hobby. Needless to say, the hat was short lived at launches. Would it be dyslexic to put a NRA sticker on your rocket?

Oh do tell, please.

Lucerne (LTR not ROC), real early 90's. Rockets were made from thick core tubes on D motors, not real high but durable and could survive a lot of pellets and be launched again. Half dozen shooters with shot guns try to hit them in the air. Issue was some were trigger happy and shot early and some were slow and shot after the rockets landed. The "Sport" lasted an even shorter time than "Beer Loft".

M

I like to shoot and have a collection... A couple people at my club do to. A guy carries sometimes as well... Pretty interesting conversations have come up at launches about each others likes and dislikes of firearms... Pretty interesting... I also point out every debate I've been in ended with me being on the receiving ends of subtle but obvious insults... So who likes to do competition?

Last edited:
Can't please all the people all the time, and it's up the the poster to "keep it civil."

I own firearms. Lots of 'em. LOVE to shoot. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good at it.

Taught my daughter to shoot. She's pretty good, too. First time I took her to the range with the 10-22, at the ripe old age of 12, she did well. She did so well, the rangemaster insisted I bring her out that weekend for the rimfire metallic silhouette competition. She did OK, considering it was her first "formal" competition. The following month, I took her out to the competition again, and she brought home a third place trophy, having out-shot 9 adults that had been shooting longer than she'd been drawing the breath of life.

So when she became an adult, I built her her own custom, accurized 10-22. The kid can shoot. :bangbang:

Can't please all the people all the time, and it's up the the poster to "keep it civil."

I own firearms. Lots of 'em. LOVE to shoot. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good at it.

Taught my daughter to shoot. She's pretty good, too. First time I took her to the range with the 10-22, at the ripe old age of 12, she did well. She did so well, the rangemaster insisted I bring her out that weekend for the rimfire metallic silhouette competition. She did OK, considering it was her first "formal" competition. The following month, I took her out to the competition again, and she brought home a third place trophy, having out-shot 9 adults that had been shooting longer than she'd been drawing the breath of life.

So when she became an adult, I built her her own custom, accurized 10-22. The kid can shoot. :bangbang:

That's pretty awesome... I'm thinking about building a .300 Blackout rifle but the ammunition isn't the cheapest.

All this Gun Talk has me wanting to assemble another AR, and since Palmetto State Armory has Lowers for as little as $49, I'm having a hard time talking myself out of it. My Dealer only charges me $20 Transfer Fee, so for $70 I'll have a use for some of the spare parts that have accumulated, and I'll just need a new Barreled Upper.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers.html

Sweat topramen I have some ammo I need to reload and seeing its to hot in the garage to work on rockets I'll sit in my loading room and load up a couple thousand rounds.

Last edited:
I would like to see a thread that connects firearms with model rocketry and I may have just stumbled upon an idea, thanks in part to post 16 by stealth6. I envision a contest activity where skeet shooters blast model rockets out of the sky. Points could be awarded by "degree of difficulty". Was the target under thrust or gently descending under chute? Was the kill at apogee or just after liftoff? Crap like that. On larger rockets the payload bays could be loaded with Tannerite providing proof positive of a "good clean kill".

I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

Oops! I just read post number 8 and seems jef955 beat me to it! Great minds think alike! :lol:

Last edited:
Some time ago I saw a video of people shooting Rc airplanes with shotguns I wish I new where the video is and post it here. It looked like it was a blast.

There is a Machinegun Shoot out west somewhere where they use RC Planes at night and go after them with Tracers.
I'll go find the Video.

[video=youtube;4Uevh_rHX4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uevh_rHX4M[/video]

I agree with some of what you said.
This is a rocket forum, even in the water hole there should be some rocket connection to a thread. If your cat gets scabies I real don't care and I do not want to even have to skip over it. Just like s6 doesn't want to read about guns.

There should be a purge of all threads with no rocket connection.

M
Hey Mark, have you ever been to a place all content was 100% on target all the time? Here at TRF, it is like all places on earth, in that as social creatures we like to share and experience things. Whats more? on trf there is a subject that you can ignore.. its not like an email you have to delete or even investigate any further. For me people with personal problems are threads I particularly dont read a whole lot. if the thread is titled appropriately like, "picture thread of wet tee-shirt contest".. I think it's fair game in a sub-genus category. watering hole, has nothing to do with rockets, but is a place for trf "friends" to discuss off topic things when uni-directional carbon fiber has them foaming at the mouth. So basicly, getting rid of the watering hole is what your suggesting?

Just be careful giving an Uzi to a 9 year old. Accidents can happen, as seen on today's news...

I've actually been to one of these places in Vegas where you can shoot machine guns and submachine guns of various kinds --- not the one where this accident happened, but it sounds similar. The place I went was really well run, and every second was supervised.

9 yearold with an uzi? i know of one incident a few years back, it was a micro uzi and it was at an expo.... there was a big fallout and the guy responsible was also LE, and got put in jail I think.
while i dont own an uzi, nor the want, one of the common overlooked problems with semi-automatic firearms, is that they can fail and become fully automatic, if the firing pin is dirty or damaged. this can kill a person if they cannot control the recoil.(unexpectedly even.)

It's hard to comprehend that one day i could kill my child by giving him a car. but, one day he will be of age and it will happen. It's my job to get him to the level to be responsible for those actions. People say children shouldn't do High-power rockets, I think they are wrong. As you say, the highest level and quality of supervision is imperative, and directly impacts the level of safety.

I can't go to Vegas, as it is against my personal moral compass... :)

Back