GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it entertaining that you guys are short on .22 ammo *lol*.. sounds to me like Germans would be short on Beer or Italians short with pasta *lol*.... I can't imagine the people's reaction *lol*

Just to compare pricing, a 50 rounds box of Federal Gold Match .22 would cost here in Germany 4,55€ = 5,85 USD ...and you can get it as mus as you wish...But you can get much chaper training ones, like the Federal American Eagle for 2,22€ (50 rounds).
To stay with the topic, just to share my favorite .22 handgun with you. It is a very precise and very old US gun (from 1976!), from a Connecticut company that has disappeared long ago: HIGH STANDARD.

WP_20140923_001.jpg

As you guys inspired me I went to the range a few days ago and give it a try again: 25 yards, 2 hands, standing. 15 rounds as ususal in my club. The result was outstanding again: 12 shots in the "10", which is roughly 2 inches wide ...

WP_20140923_005.jpg

Last edited:
I found it entertaining that you guys are short on .22 ammo *lol*.. sounds to me like Germans would be short on Beer or Italians short with pasta *lol*.... I can't imagine the people's reaction *lol*

Just to compare pricing, a 50 rounds box of Federal Gold Match .22 would cost here in Germany 4,55€ = 5,85 USD ...and you can get it as mus as you wish...But you can get much chaper training ones, like the Federal American Eagle for 2,22€ (50 rounds).
To stay with the topic, just to share my favorite .22 handgun with you. It is a very precise and very old US gun (from 1976!), from a Connecticut company that has disappeared long ago: HIGH STANDARD.

View attachment 185210

As you guys inspired me I went to the range a few days ago and give it a try again: 25 yards, 2 hands, standing. 15 rounds as ususal in my club. The result was outstanding again: 12 shots in the "10", which is roughly 2 inches wide ...

View attachment 185211

Very nice High Standard!!! I'm jealous!
Those are rare in my neck of the Woods, and when I sold Guns for six Years I only encountered a couple. They are Keepers for sure, and that's likely why folks that had one were prone to not trading them toward other Firearms.

I think I need to make you even more mad *lol*... I bought this extraordinary piece of steel precision and highest American craftmanship for... 109€ = 140 USD !!!!!
It has not been used for 15 years..until yesterday *ggg*. A quick revision and check, add some lubrification, dry test and here you go...

O1d_Dude- We're headed to Sac valley today for a little 2nd amendment celebration. If you happen to be so inclined. :)

I think I need to make you even more mad *lol*... I bought this extraordinary piece of steel precision and highest American craftmanship for... 109€ = 140 USD !!!!!
It has not been used for 15 years..until yesterday *ggg*. A quick revision and check, add some lubrification, dry test and here you go...

I'm not mad, infact I'm happy for you. :) You're lucky to have such a sweet Piece!

O1d_Dude- We're headed to Sac valley today for a little 2nd amendment celebration. If you happen to be so inclined. :)
Thanks for the invite but I've got an optical appointment today.

I've been planning to join SacValley because I get a senior discount. Look for that to happen after to New Year's. It's a nice range but not as close as Cordova Center so I have to balance the extra distance for a nice club against the shorter drive to an average club.

If only we could find a property out in that area that would be amenable to rocket launches.

That was my thought exactly. There is a lot of nice open land out that way!
And I've got an "optical" appt. today too, but it's of a different type :)

Sac Valley is a very nice club. Lincoln/Coon Creek as well.

Thanks for the invite but I've got an optical appointment today.

I've been planning to join SacValley because I get a senior discount. Look for that to happen after to New Year's. It's a nice range but not as close as Cordova Center so I have to balance the extra distance for a nice club against the shorter drive to an average club.

If only we could find a property out in that area that would be amenable to rocket launches.

Ahh, sorry, been busy "Cleaning". Went primarily to dial in the optics on an M4 platform. Groups were good, but it took me about 40 rounds to get her nice and tight. There was some wind with the approaching storm, but one good thing about Sac Valley are the berms. They tend to keep the wind out from the range, so there wasn't a lot of compensation needed. I also took a longer range rifle which I recently floated the barrel on. Since I'm qualified on the 300 yard I moved over there. I was impressed by how much the barrel float improves the consistency. Range was not crowded and low-hassle as always.
Now to get some rocket time in after this rain subsides!

I went to the LGS today and looked at Guns. I was going to get a new Glock 19 to replace my 26 as my EDC, but the only 19s' they had in stock were the "C" Compensated Version, and a Gen 4 which I don't particulaly care for. I'll go a few Towns over tomorrow to a different Shop to see what they have.

Went lookin' for a Gen 3 Model 19 again today to no avail, but picked up some Remington "Hog Hammer" 62gr. .223.
I have a Coyote Problem and these will obviously be better than my heavily stocked FMJ stuff.
I shot one at 25yds. into a row of three 1 Gallon Milk Jugs filled with Water, and recovered it, as I do with all my Ammo when I first get it.

Hog Hammer 001.jpg

Hog Hammer 002.jpg

Note: This is the Expansion yielded from a 16" 1/7 Twist Bbl.

Last edited:
This afternoon I finally got around to mounting my Simmons 3-9x32 scope on the Ruger 10/22 International.

Haven't leveled the scope yet as I don't have a decent gun vise. Now as I think of it I could have just used some Quik-Grip wood clamps to level the rifle. d'oh!

I have a new on my chore list for tomorrow.

Hmmm, I've been looking at brushed aluminum scopes for my stainless 10/22. How do you like the Simmons? How do they compare to Burris?
This afternoon I finally got around to mounting my Simmons 3-9x32 scope on the Ruger 10/22 International.

Haven't leveled the scope yet as I don't have a decent gun vise. Now as I think of it I could have just used some Quik-Grip wood clamps to level the rifle. d'oh!

I have a new on my chore list for tomorrow.

Hmmm, I've been looking at brushed aluminum scopes for my stainless 10/22. How do you like the Simmons? How do they compare to Burris?

Simmons was bought out by Meade Instruments a few years back. Meade has a decent name in the astronomy industry for making good optics. The early ones are made in Japan are on nearly on par with Nikon, the later ones are made in China, and are decidedly less nice. They aren't bad by any means though. I have a Japanese version of the 3-9x40 on one of my rifles. It's good as a 3-8x, 9x distorts a bit around the outer 30% of the field. Most people likely wouldn't notice, but I'm picky.

A new store just opened in my neighborhood. The name is "Guns Fishing and Other Stuff." I'm not sure what they might sell. :eyeroll:

I looked them up online, and they have another location that has an indoor range and gun rentals, but it's unclear if the local store wil have that. That would be cool. I don't own any firearms except for an air gun I got for pests. Also my eyes are so bad that seeing whether I have actually hit a paper target is difficult. The most fun form of shooting for me is to go out in the country with a friend who owns guns and plink at cans or other things that jump and react when you hit them. But me firends with guns have mostly moved away. Second best is an indoor range with gun rentals and the targets you can run out and reel back in, so I can see how I'm doing. But that has always required a trip out of town. The worst for me is an organized outdoor range where you need to wait for an officer to let you go check your targets. That doesn't work for me at all. Anyway, it would be cool to have an indoor range right here in town.

Finally found a Gen 3 19.:)
The 19 was my first Handgun when I turned 18, and I carried that one for a few years before trading it, which I later regreted, so this model has a special place in my Heart, even though my first one was a Gen 2 Model 19.

New Glock 19 003.jpg

I'll likely perform a Back Strap Reduction and do some Stipling like I did with my 26. All of my Guns end up Custom.

Last edited:
A new store just opened in my neighborhood. The name is "Guns Fishing and Other Stuff." I'm not sure what they might sell. :eyeroll:

I looked them up online, and they have another location that has an indoor range and gun rentals, but it's unclear if the local store wil have that. That would be cool. I don't own any firearms except for an air gun I got for pests. Also my eyes are so bad that seeing whether I have actually hit a paper target is difficult. The most fun form of shooting for me is to go out in the country with a friend who owns guns and plink at cans or other things that jump and react when you hit them. But me firends with guns have mostly moved away. Second best is an indoor range with gun rentals and the targets you can run out and reel back in, so I can see how I'm doing. But that has always required a trip out of town. The worst for me is an organized outdoor range where you need to wait for an officer to let you go check your targets. That doesn't work for me at all. Anyway, it would be cool to have an indoor range right here in town.

Then put a scope on your air gun. Mine has a biggie, 6-24x60, yeah, 60mm, Leopold got off eBay. It's a second, the only thing I found wrong was a very slight mar in the finish but Leopold's standards are so high it failed on cosmetics alone. My eyes have gone to crap with the diabetes but at rat ranges I can put 5 in a dime at 25 yards.

Then put a scope on your air gun. Mine has a biggie, 6-24x60, yeah, 60mm, Leopold got off eBay. It's a second, the only thing I found wrong was a very slight mar in the finish but Leopold's standards are so high it failed on cosmetics alone. My eyes have gone to crap with the diabetes but at rat ranges I can put 5 in a dime at 25 yards.

Leupold Scopes can't be beat! Their Lifetime Warranty is as good as they come too.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411865867.221796.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411865940.862037.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411865964.264919.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411865985.886903.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411866003.725374.jpg

Nuff said.......

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411865903.598810.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411865903.598810.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 39
Layne, I bought my Simmons through Amazon and paid less than $40 for it. Of all the 10/22 suitable scopes listed on Amazon, the one I finally chose had the most favorable reviews. Locally, the scope was selling for $60 at places like Walmart, Big 5 Sports, etc.

Based on my own inspection of it while test-mounting it on my rifle, I have no complaints with the construction or finish. After a few zooms in and out while looking at the tops of distant palm trees it seems like it will serve my non-critical needs. Time will tell.

Layne, I bought my Simmons through Amazon and paid less than $40 for it. Of all the 10/22 suitable scopes listed on Amazon, the one I finally chose had the most favorable reviews. Locally, the scope was selling for $60 at places like Walmart, Big 5 Sports, etc.

Based on my own inspection of it while test-mounting it on my rifle, I have no complaints with the construction or finish. After a few zooms in and out while looking at the tops of distant palm trees it seems like it will serve my non-critical needs. Time will tell.

It willl probably hold up ok for what you want it to do.
When I sold Guns, we used to do the Savage 110 Package Deal every year as a promotional Deal through our Warehouse or Henrys or Ellet Bros.
The Rifles were .243 up through 30-06, and came with a cheapo Case and a Simmons 3x9x32 Scope. I'de inspect them before putting them up on the Rack, as the mounting job they'de do at the wherever was sub-par. This insired that I had used the Collimator for Bore Sighting, leveled the Reticle, and tightened the Cheapo Two-Piece Rings to the proper Torque.
I would try to make sure that when the Scopes came back for replacement, that I had given them every fighting chance out the Door, and that it was not improper Mounting that had caused them to fail.
Inevitably, each year, we would get about 80% of these Scopes coming back to us for stuff like Fogging internally, failure to hold a Zero and other stuff. After a couple of years I just started telling customers to buy a Tasco for a little extra Money to go on their "Package Deal" since if they had a problem I could swap it out.
The Tascos were junk too, but atleast as an Authorized Tasco Dealer, I could simply do a swap for a Brand new crappy Scope right there on the spot for the Customer when they had a problem. Every few Months we'de send out a big Box of broken Tasco Scopes and they would send us brand new Stock to replace them. With the Simmons, we had to send out the individual Unit to get replaced.
I was always happy when a Customer would say they did'nt want the Simmons Scope that came with the Savage and would opt to upgrade right then and their to something decent. The Savage 110 is a great Rifle, and do to the Method they use to properly Headspace the Barrel and the Button Rifling, capable of excellent Accuracy. It was a shame to see a poor quality Optic on it. In my time at the Gun Department I shot many a 110 that was capable of MOA Groups with Federal Premium Ammunition from the Bench.
Anyhow, on a .22, your Simmons should hold up ok, especially if it is not going to get banged around.
Also, I'm sure their Quality must have improved since I was in the Business which was from June1996-Feb.2002.

Last edited:
Went to the range to do some shooting with my SKS that I haven't shot in awhile. While I was there I had the opportunity to pick up this 1942 British 303 Enfield. For 75 bucks I couldn't pass on it.

IMG_20140928_121921_308.jpg

IMG_20140928_121517_638.jpg

IMG_20140928_121559_411.jpg

Beautiful SMLE. I've got a pair, myself. My first is all original (No4 Mk1*), the second is a sporterized No4 Mk1. I didn't do the sporterization (assuming that's even a word), but it's exactly what I was looking for, as I bought it intending to mess with it.

Beautiful SMLE. I've got a pair, myself. My first is all original (No4 Mk1*), the second is a sporterized No4 Mk1. I didn't do the sporterization (assuming that's even a word), but it's exactly what I was looking for, as I bought it intending to mess with it.

I had a No. 4 Mk 1. It had some interesting Rifling, simply 2 Grooves. I got it for $40, then had a Friend with Blueing Tanks Blue it for $75.
Ended up trading it though before I ever even shot it.

In that I live in surburbia, I'm limited to Airsoft and pellets in my backyard.

I stopped at an indoor range last night and inquired as to any club memberships they might have.

Turns out that seniors (65 years of age and older) can shoot for FREE upon approved membership. Until the membership is approved, I will have to pay the standard $15 per person fee.

25 yard lanes, 22LR rifles okay, shotguns okay, centerfire pistols okay but no centerfire rifles permitted.

Looking forward to being able to shoot locally and INDOORS.

Its hard to do but im putting my Weatherby 30-378 back into the box and seeing what the gun shop can do for a trade in towards a new Beretta A400 xcell shotgun.

photo-82.JPG

Last edited:
Back