GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me the date that that is the cutoff for needing a FFL to be shipped a gun? I'm pretty sure it's a 1890's date, like it's illegal to ship a 1911 Colt automatic but not a 1851 Colt Navy. I know there's rifles that pass like an 1873 Winchester or a .30-40 Krag. I went searching but couldn't find the date that's the cutoff :p

Can anyone tell me the date that that is the cutoff for needing a FFL to be shipped a gun? I'm pretty sure it's a 1890's date, like it's illegal to ship a 1911 Colt automatic but not a 1851 Colt Navy. I know there's rifles that pass like an 1873 Winchester or a .30-40 Krag. I went searching but couldn't find the date that's the cutoff :p

Look under Firearms Curios & Relics restrictions.

At 50+ years (From this year), you can accept firearms with a Curio & Relics license. Look in this document here for a listing of exempt rifles (removed from the NFA as collector's) starting at page 43...

Hope this helps!

So I still have to have a pair of 1851 .44 Colt Navy pistols mailed to a FFL holder? Or get a Curio & Relic Permit to receive them? That's a awfully long document to try and decipher :p The same would hold true for a Mosin-Nagant 1891 bolt action rifle in 7.62 x 57r no matter what the manufacture date is, right?

I went to the site where I intend to order my pistols and it appears that they don't need any kind of license to ship to my address. I think that's due to not needing a cartridge. I hope so anyway. Long ago I got a .36 Navy Colt at KMart for about $36, wish I could find them for that price now :p When it happens I'll have a new camera about the same time so a "build" thread...kinda...would be in order :)

As someone who has loved guns and the idea of CCW since I was like 6, I just want to chime in again and remind those of you that are like me and rarely have to draw your weapon, at least take it out in a safe space and clean the dust and fabric debris off of it every couple days, and more often if you walk a lot.
Many folks talk about carrying every single day, but I actually do, and the pistol and rifle sleep with me too, and it has been like that for the past 20 Years.
I'm 38 now, but my Mom who is a great Mom, never let me have Guns in the house til' I was 18.
I did'nt understand the rule til' I was much older, as I always thought that it was just common sense to know about handling firearms.
I had 19 Firearms by the time I was 19, but I also had to carry a few home every night to do homework on.
My Boss was good about not making me log things out, but I did anyway.

Also, I have my own House now, so I only require a Pistol and Rifle. If I die, she is 1.5 miles away, and they have to face her, and I'de pay to see that from the afterlife!
Thankfully, I live in a state with decent laws, and I'm a decent person, so I had the opportunity to have gainful employment for 6.5 years, and learn a heck of a lot of cool stuff about a lot of things.:wink:

Last edited:
For cartridge weapons anything mfg 1898 or before are antique and can be shipped without an ffl on the receiving end, muzzleloading guns including the 1851 you mention is considered a muzzleloader, not a firearm, nor are replicas of them and can be shipped sans ffl on the receiving end as well. There are post office rules that may prohibit shipping a cartridge handgun regardless of whether an antique or not depending on who is interpreting the rule. FedEx and UPS have their own restrictions, if you dont follow those it isn't a legal problem but may void any insurance claim.

Curio and relic(50 year rule) only applies if you have a c&r 03 ffl.

Contrary to what many gun stores tell you an ffl isn't required to be the sender, just the receiver, unless you are sending a pistol via USPS and then their rules say both sender and receiver must be an 01 ffl, c&r cannot mail pistols via USPS, I've been doing this stuff for 25 years btw. Some gun stores will still insist that sender is an ffl, or will not accept from c&r but that is just their own cya or job preserving requirement, not the law.

Frank

I recently picked up a new carry gun. I bought my M&P9 compact (double stack) about two years before the Shield was introduced. I find the Shield to be much more comfortable to carry due to weight and size. I bought a ported Shield in .40... Liking it so far, but need to shoot it quite a bit more before I will carry it...

M&P Compact in 9mm with 13 rounds weighs 1.90 lbs

M&P Ported Shield in .40 S&W with 8 rounds weighs 1.54 lbs

20160329_195737_resized.jpg 20160329_195746_resized.jpg 20160329_195759_resized.jpg 20160329_195808_resized_1.jpg Justin M&P Shield Ported 40 - Article 2 March 2016.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 64
Once carried an old Spanish Destroyer 9mm carbine on the job while running traps at my company's wastewater lagoons. Cocking piece was worn down, but a brother built it back up with TIG welding. I cobbled together some ammo from .38 ACP brass and cast bullets. Had to drift the front sight out a bit to zero. Likely saved me from a pounding when some interlopers became indignant with me one morning. The sight of the carbine changed their attitudes quickly, and they departed.

When I was a kid, my dad had a Winchester 32 Special that he eventually sold. I've been wanting a Model 94 in 30-30 for a long time, but Winchester doesn't make them anymore. Found this one online, though...built in 1991 and never fired:

w94xtr.jpg

Another difficult to find rifle in my home state is this mid-80's Colt AR-15A2 government carbine that I found in a local shop...also unfired:

car15.jpg

And for winter carry and general target, I recently picked up this 9mm CZ-75B that I modified with Hogue grips and TruGlo TFX Pro sights to replace my Ruger P-95:

cz75b.jpg

How do you like the TFX's? I wanted to get them but (sadly) found out they don't make them for my EDC (H&K P2000SK). I am considering picking up a Glock 43 or M&P Shield and adding the TFX sights.

How do you like the TFX's? I wanted to get them but (sadly) found out they don't make them for my EDC (H&K P2000SK). I am considering picking up a Glock 43 or M&P Shield and adding the TFX sights.

I like them a lot. I shoot in an indoor range and the lighting isn't all that good, so it's hard to see the dull white spots on the stock sights. The TFX's stand out very well.

As far as the AR front sight post goes, I cut them off, then smooth them with a file and hit them with a cold blue before painting them.
I leave the edges sharp, for CQB where you might need to smash your weapon into someones face. The rougher it is the more it hurts/stuns them

I'm not a fan of gas blocks that are held on with set screws, so I just take a hacksaw and file to pinned assemblies.

I have a use for the bayo lug.:wink:
It's called a bayonet.

Last edited:
As far as the AR front sight post goes, I cut them off, then smooth them with a file and hit them with a cold blue before painting them.
I leave the edges sharp, for CQB where you might need to smash your weapon into someones face. The rougher it is the more it hurts/stuns them

I'm not a fan of gas blocks that are held on with set screws, so I just take a hacksaw and file to pinned assemblies.

It's called a bayonet.

Hey TOP, question/advice. I have a Mini 14 GB w/bayo lug & bayonet. I also have an LWRC M6 A2 wo/lug. I have put the bayonet on the M6 and it fits perfect with the back of the handel up against the rail. My question is (I have searched on the net), does anyone make a lug that will attach to the rail?

Hey TOP, question/advice. I have a Mini 14 GB w/bayo lug & bayonet. I also have an LWRC M6 A2 wo/lug. I have put the bayonet on the M6 and it fits perfect with the back of the handel up against the rail. My question is (I have searched on the net), does anyone make a lug that will attach to the rail?

You could probably call Brownells, and they would know right off the bat, since they have knowledgeable folks there, but I think if such a device does exist, it would either need to be adjustable, since different folks use different rail systems, or made specifically for a particular system.
There are likely some cheesy airsoft quality items out there that would let you do it, but as a former gunsmith and student of the Bayonet for "Riot Control", just stick to a pinned Gas Block for the bayo. It's really not needed, just like the cut in the barrel for the M203. Unless you're willing to plop down big bucks for a real M203 40mm Grenade Launcher and real Grenades, which each have a $200 fun Tax, why bother.
I don't even own a Bayonet anymore.
I like the thought, and the experience, but I doubt I'll run out of bullets in both my rifle and pistol in a domestic scenario.
If I do, I can always use my weapons as smashing tools or do whatever I gotta' do.
Anyhow, a decent gunsmith could take some steel scope ring bases, and mount a forward ring for the ring that goes over the muzzle, and a lug to a piece of steel and make picatinny rail attachment points on the thing, and then you could attach a bayo-lug to anything with a rail.
As a matter of fact, they likely do make that, as folks want everything to weigh down their rifle if they only have to carry it for a few moments at a time. They have camera/go pro attachments and garbage like that now. Makes me want to puke!

You could probably call Brownells, and they would know right off the bat, since they have knowledgeable folks there, but I think if such a device does exist, it would either need to be adjustable, since different folks use different rail systems, or made specifically for a particular system.
There are likely some cheesy airsoft quality items out there that would let you do it, but as a former gunsmith and student of the Bayonet for "Riot Control", just stick to a pinned Gas Block for the bayo. It's really not needed, just like the cut in the barrel for the M203. Unless you're willing to plop down big bucks for a real M203 40mm Grenade Launcher and real Grenades, which each have a $200 fun Tax, why bother.
I don't even own a Bayonet anymore.
I like the thought, and the experience, but I doubt I'll run out of bullets in both my rifle and pistol in a domestic scenario.
If I do, I can always use my weapons as smashing tools or do whatever I gotta' do.
Anyhow, a decent gunsmith could take some steel scope ring bases, and mount a forward ring for the ring that goes over the muzzle, and a lug to a piece of steel and make picatinny rail attachment points on the thing, and then you could attach a bayo-lug to anything with a rail.
As a matter of fact, they likely do make that, as folks want everything to weigh down their rifle if they only have to carry it for a few moments at a time. They have camera/go pro attachments and garbage like that now. Makes me want to puke!

Have you seen the air rifles used for ratting at night? All the stuff hanging off of one of those can easily double the weight of the rifle plus there's no way possible to use one in a normal fashion.

[video=youtube;ll3TWzeEtIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3TWzeEtIg[/video]

It's called a bayonet.

Is that a stock front site? Mine seems to be naturally sharp, but not too sharp. One thing I learned in some of my martial training is that a combat knife should be a little dull so it rips rather than slices so it's more painful. Anyway, this is a shot group at 50 yards from my first time out last week with my AR and I'm happy with it, so I don't think I'll be modifying the sights.

sg.jpg

Have you seen the air rifles used for ratting at night? All the stuff hanging off of one of those can easily double :wink:the weight of the rifle plus there's no way possible to use one in a normal fashion.

[video=youtube;ll3TWzeEtIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3TWzeEtIg[/video]

Thanks for posting that video! I thoroughly hate Vermin, as they could give my 6 of Cats fleas or disease. I really hate killing stuff, but if I had that many rats, I'd be doing exactly like that guy is doing and dispatching of them.
There was recently a local news story about a house that was abandoned and overrun with rats.
There was no conclusion to it, but it was basically an invitation for someone to come burn the place down, which I don't think has happened yet, but give it a week.
Personally, I would think there would be some solution, rather than a news story, but Vermonters rarely have an Intelligence Quotient over -35, so it was not an atypical local news bit. Basically, they did'nt know what to do, but they had all seen lots of rats emanating from the dwelling!!!:lol:
$%^#&* morons!:facepalm:

Probably the reason I don't have the vermin problem is my Six of Cats.

I watch the UK ratters. They have no problem with using air rifles worth $2000 to shoot rats and gray squirrels which were imported to England from North America and now they have a problem with them driving out the native reds. And also pest populations of rabbits. They have what they refer to as "permissions", Properties that the owners wish them to hunt vermin. This includes the aforementioned species and certain birds, crows, hooded crows, pidgins, magpies. In Idaho the crow family is protected now, I have no idea why but they are. I guess the scavenging they do outweighs the damage they do...

Anybody shoot clays? Here is my Skeet gun. Cheap Yildiz O/U (steel receiver), then customized with adj comb stock and adj buttplate.

20160517_210444.jpg

Hey y'all.
I am thinking about a semi-auto pistol. I have NO background to prevent such an item.
A simple law abiding dude.
And NO other reason than A: Learning to handle safely such an item, and B: for the challenge of sport target shooting. Nothing else.
I am in Redondo Beach CA. Where can I start? Whom should I contact?
Give me a PM.
Thanks

Hey y'all.
I am thinking about a semi-auto pistol. I have NO background to prevent such an item.
And NO other reason than A: Learning to handle safely such an item, and B: for the challenge of sport target shooting. Nothing else.
Give me a PM.
Thanks

This youtube channel can help you to decide:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg

You kind of have to wade through his site, he's done an awful lot of videos but it's worth the effort. There are so damned many semi auto's out there, most good, some not. For me it will be a EAA double action semi auto in .38 Super, sort of a 9mm Magnum as it were. Been around since the 1930's but doesn't get much publicity. Another great thing about it is the fact it holds 18 rounds...for those "social" occasions...

I can't help you with the Cali thing, it's like a whole 'nother country....

Hey y'all.
Give me a PM.
Thanks

For a first-time shooter with your goals in mind, I have no problem recommending a Ruger Mk2 Government Model. Everybody's going to have their own opinion, but this is a great gun to train with. This is a .22, with a 6 7/8" barrel. It has adjustable sights, and different types of grips can be found (usually comes with plastic grips). I'd buy a blued steel version to save money. The gun will be more accurate than you, until you put in a LOT of practice.

2yoy8mt.jpg

There are several classes of competition you can shoot in. Check in your area for what the local clubs and ranges offer.

I've got a similar pistol in stainless, with a 10" heavy (bull) barrel. I have a friend with a Govt. model. We used to compete shooting twigs and sticks at 50 feet. The first one to cut one in half, with the least bullets won.

As far as how to get one in Cali., I'm sorry, I don't know the laws there. Again, a local range or gun club, or dealer should be able to help.

Last edited:
Hey y'all.
Give me a PM.
Thanks

Join the NRA and attend a local Friends of the NRA event. You'll meet lots of people in your area who can point you to well run ranges, training, and help you learn the local laws. California law regarding semi-automatic firearms is more restrictive than any other state.

Latest posts

Back