GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TALON

No, it is just a simple gas system...

Those LWRC M-6's are very nice...

old_dude

And I thought we had the right to remain silent...

Hey TALON,

Does this one look more like yours?

BTW, is that a TEXAN in your avatar?

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

Last edited:
Hey TALON,

Does this one look more like yours?

BTW, is that a TEXAN in your avatar?

Yup, looks like my LWRC, I bought it in 2009, it came w/2 piece bolt carrier, I will upgrade to the 1 piece in the future. I also would like to install a giessele NM DMR trigger.:) I have a GRIP POD on mine & a Vortex red dot on mine, would like to put a Aimpoint on it in the future.

Yes that is a Texan, just started down hill from top of a loop.:cool: I volunteered at a museum for 17 years, got to fly in some great aircraft. Also wrote articles & images for the magazine "In Flight USA" & got to go on some great media rides! Like the "Shock Wave" (jet truck) & did 320 mph.:eyepop: Teased my pilot friends that night (over some libations) that I went faster in the air show than they did:lol:

My parents came for a short visit yesterday and we headed (even more) out into the country, outside of Versailles to go to a Mennonite market store. Much to my surprise, when we got out there, less than a 1/2 mile away, the Missouri 3-Gun Championships were being held at the Tooth & Nail Armory 3-Gun Range. So when we were done at the store, we drove out to the range and walked around for a while. It was a beautiful day for a match and the smell of powder filled the air. It was wonderful. :) What I was really amazed at was how far people had come. It was like a rocket launch, really! From the very few license plates I saw, there were 3 from Minnesota, 3 from Wisconsin, one from Iowa and Oklahoma, and of course several from Missouri. And that was only the very end of a few rows of cars I looked at. There had to have been over 150 cars & trucks there I would say. It was fun for the brief time we stayed there.

My parents came for a short visit yesterday and we headed (even more) out into the country, outside of Versailles to go to a Mennonite market store. Much to my surprise, when we got out there, less than a 1/2 mile away, the Missouri 3-Gun Championships were being held at the Tooth & Nail Armory 3-Gun Range. So when we were done at the store, we drove out to the range and walked around for a while. It was a beautiful day for a match and the smell of powder filled the air. It was wonderful. :) What I was really amazed at was how far people had come. It was like a rocket launch, really! From the very few license plates I saw,
there were 3 from Minnesota, 3 from Wisconsin, one from Iowa and Oklahoma, and of course several from Missouri. And that was only the very end of a few rows of cars I looked at. There had to have been over 150 cars & trucks there I would say. It was fun for the brief time we stayed there.

Man, if I was 20 years younger,:mad: I would love to compete. But my body is a wreck after playing baseball (not softball) into my 40's. I dread launching in moderate winds and walking more than 100 yds for recovery :eyepop: but I am happy doing double taps, multi targets & practicing shooting from vehicles & from different cover and positions. :)

Oh yea, in case you guys didn't know, we have quite a few nice pro-gun shops here in Missouri. I picked up a brochure yesterday from Black Dawn out of Sedalia, plus the local Tooth and Nail Armory in Versailles. And of course there's also the well known Black Rain Ordinance in Neosho, MO just to name a few. And the newest guy (to tie this post together with the thread title), many of you may have heard of from flying big MD rockets out at BALLS. Gene Nowaczyk is now making custom made titanium &/or aluminum suppressors, custom barrels, uppers and other custom components. He does great work. Tell him I referred you please. :)

Last edited:
Opened the safe today, for the first time in quite a while. (I don't get a lot of opportunity to take my toys out to play any more.) :cry:

The first surprise was unpleasant. Part of the interior collapsed. The floor seems to have tipped down, and one of the shelves has fallen. :jaw: Now I have to take everything out, and rebuild the entire interior of the safe. I see a trip to the lumberyard and the carpet remnant store in my very near future.

The second, much more pleasant surprise... :surprised: I found a toy I had forgotten. Here's a question for ya... How the hell do you "forget" a Browning A-Bolt? I don't know either, but somehow, I managed. Now it's calling me. It wants to go shooting. Who am I to deny a lost and forlorn waif?

Now I've got two rifles to take out next month. Pillar and glass bedded a 10-22 last month, and need to take it out for a test run, see if bedding the action and floating the bbl did any good.

And I can play with the A-Bolt. :grin:

Oh yea, in case you guys didn't know, we have quite a few nice pro-gun shops here in Missouri. I picked up a brochure yesterday from Black Dawn out of Sedalia, plus the local Tooth and Nail Armory in Versailles. And of course there's also the well known Black Rain Ordinance in Neosho, MO just to name a few. And the newest guy (to tie this post together with the thread title), many of you may have heard of from flying big MD rockets out at BALLS. Gene Nowaczyk is now making custom made titanium &/or aluminum suppressors, custom barrels, uppers and other custom components. He does great work. Tell him I referred you please. :)

So that is what happened to Gene No-va-check. He was at BALLS every year then disappeared.

M

So that is what happened to Gene No-va-check. He was at BALLS every year then disappeared.

M

I think the first year I went to Balls was the last time he went, in 2010. About that time, he was getting into the thought process and planning stages of his current side business and in what was thought to be the final stages of his next BALLS project. Then the motor on his mixer burned out. Lately, I can't get a fire lit under his butt to get it off the ground, no matter how blunt I am. The last work he's done has been on redesigning his launch tower, but that's been slow going at best. The last time I saw the rocket, it was in his basement, but that's all been dry walled and finished now, by Gene. It's probably sitting in the back of his trailer now, probably making a nice web/home for some spider in the tail cone.

113_1975.jpg

Today I went to my local Hobby store to get some Motors and Finishing Epoxy, and noticed a small sign on their Door that read:
"PLEASE, No firearms unless you are Law-Enforcement".
Needless to say, they just lost a Customer.
Even though I always carry concealed, and they would never know I had my Glock with me, it irks me when I see foolish signs like this and I make a point of not patronizing Businesses that put up silly signs like this.
It's a shame too, because they need all the business they can get, and I only shopped there out of pity for them, as it seems every business in that town is having a rough go on Main St.

Last edited:
Today I went to my local Hobby store to get some Motors and Finishing Epoxy, and noticed a small sign on their Door that read:
Even though I al;ways carry concealed, and they would never know I had my Glock with me, it irks me when I see foolish signs like this and I make a point of not patronizing Businesses that put up silly signs like this.
It's a shame too, because they need all the business they can get, and I only shopped there out of pity for them, as it seems every business in that town is having a rough go on Main St.

Make sure the proprietor knows why you've stopped patronizing them.

Even though I al;ways carry concealed, and they would never know I had my Glock with me, it irks me when I see foolish signs like this and I make a point of not patronizing Businesses that put up silly signs like this.
Yet another "Criminal Protection Zone" and an owner who doesn't know who his customers are.

...dude wouldn't have that on his door if he was ever robbed at gunpoint....and it happens all too often in this day and age...

I found a gun range in Austin that I can take a bus to. No more having to bum a ride to go shoot stuff...

Make sure the proprietor knows why you've stopped patronizing them.

Yeah, I've been going there since the early 90's, and today I went ahead and went in to get what I needed anyway, and he even through in a couple Couplers and a Nose Cone for free, so I don't want to be rude about it. We've always gotten along, so I owe it to him to be polite and professional about it.
It doubly sucks because the next nearest place that carries any rocketry stuff is like 45 miles away. I was going to buy some D12 Booster Motors from him, but remembered that they had them at Walmart and got them there instead. I did get my Epoxy and some 18mm Motors.
I guess I just need time to think about how I want to tell him. I'll most likely write him a letter.
It's his business, so he can do as he chooses, but this is Vermont. We don't even need Permits to carry lawfully, and a lot of us do. Perhaps that is why we rank as the safest State?

Yeah, I've been going there since the early 90's, and today I went ahead and went in to get what I needed anyway, and he even through in a couple Couplers and a Nose Cone for free, so I don't want to be rude about it. We've always gotten along, so I owe it to him to be polite and professional about it.
It doubly sucks because the next nearest place that carries any rocketry stuff is like 45 miles away. I was going to buy some D12 Booster Motors from him, but remembered that they had them at Walmart and got them there instead. I did get my Epoxy and some 18mm Motors.
I guess I just need time to think about how I want to tell him. I'll most likely write him a letter.
It's his business, so he can do as he chooses, but this is Vermont. We don't even need Permits to carry lawfully, and a lot of us do. Perhaps that is why we rank as the safest State?
Yeah, obviously, you have to be considerate when letting him know; creating a conflict doesn't help our side.

That said, and this is the point I was getting at, boycotting someone without letting them know why you're boycotting them does neither party any good either.

Oh, and, sorry, but you've caused Vermont to be added to my list of places to consider when I finally succeed in getting out of this hellhole California.
:grin:

TopRamen said:
...and noticed a small sign on their Door that read:

I was at a diesel repair shop in Springfield, MO last year getting my engine scanned in the parking lot. On my way out, I drove past their two large overhead doors to their bays. In between both doors on the outside of the shop about 8' high was a big sign, about 2' x 3'. I wish I had taken a picture of it. In the middle was pictured a 1911 and the sign said something like "All firearms are welcome on this property" I yelled "HEY!" into the bay. A guy looks up and I shouted at him, "I love your sign, thank you!" and gave him a thumbs up. :) I won't forget that place any time soon. Too bad there aren't more businesses like that around.

You might include in your letter a statement to the effect "by banning personal concealed firearms, you assume the risk and liability of my personal safety while on your premises" or something like that.

You might include in your letter a statement to the effect "by banning personal concealed firearms, you assume the risk and liability of my personal safety while on your premises" or something like that.

I like it. The do have Gold and Silver on the Premises, so it is one of the establishments that I enter understanding the odds and likelyhoods of it being targeted by crooks.

...Today I went to my local Hobby store to get some Motors and Finishing Epoxy, and noticed a small sign on their Door that read:
"PLEASE, No firearms unless you are Law-Enforcement...

What sign?

I never pay any attention to those...

"Law enforcement only" huh?

That's a great idea...

Some of the most unstable people around...

What sign?

I never pay any attention to those...

"Law enforcement only" huh?

That's a great idea...

Some of the most unstable people around...

So true.
There is a Gun Store that I frequent that caters to LEO, and out of the few Negligent Discharges they have had on their premises, they were all commited by Cops, even though 90% of their customers are just regular civilians.
There is another shop a little further away, and they have had 2 NDs by LEOs.
Them LEOs are a dangerous bunch, and they only have to qualify with their sidearm once a year. I try to qualify/maintain my standard of marksmanship with mine at least once a month, and sometimes just go out to shoot for the heck of it for fun.

Last edited:
Why is it that some people think shiney badges grant special rights?

Like some casual shooters that only go to the range 1-2 times per year, some LEO's regard training as "been there done that" and don't particularly care about additional training. That is scary to me to say the least.

Now is a good time to buy ammo, prices keep going down, just picked up some 9mm in bulk off of Gun Broker. :)

Back