CTI 54mm Tapped forward closure question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailorbill

Reaction score
Do all CTI 54mm L motors come with the 1/4-20 threaded forward end? Or do I need to purchase that separately? I realize it is probably in the forum somewhere but I suck at forming the correct questions to get the results want. :facepalm:
Thanks.

To my knowledge most of the L's are just plugged. The long burns being the exception with threaded closures.

Yes you can purchase the threaded closure separately,

If you are flying one of the motors supplied with the threaded closure, be sure to plug it with a bolt or eyebolt, even if not using it. The open end can wreck havoc if you don't.

Another simple solution is to just use a 3/16 bit and open the touch hole, it's tapered and the bit will straighten it out, Be very careful not to go into the delay grain. A 1/4 eyebolt will self tap into hole & you can fill the well with epoxy.

To my knowledge most of the L's are just plugged. The long burns being the exception with threaded closures.

If you are flying one of the motors supplied with the threaded closure, be sure to plug it with a bolt or eyebolt, even if not using it. The open end can wreck havoc if you don't.

Another simple solution is to just use a 3/16 bit and open the touch hole, it's tapered and the bit will straighten it out, Be very careful not to go into the delay grain. A 1/4 eyebolt will self tap into hole & you can fill the well with epoxy.

Thanks Jim.
I am hoping to fly an L265-P Mellow at BALLS this year and I need the threaded closure for motor retention.

Thanks Jim.
I am hoping to fly an L265-P Mellow at BALLS this year and I need the threaded closure for motor retention.

Me too! The L265 does indeed have the threaded forward closure. The threaded closure that is sold separately (for other Pro54s) is a one-time use and does have a tracking grain. You can use the closure for motor retention, but I would not put an eye bolt in it and hang a chute on it unless your rocket is very light. In other words, it is not very robust in appearance.
Hope this helps.
NikeMikey

Thanks Jim.

You can also use the AeroPack minimum diameter CTI adapters with the motors that already have the 1/4" threaded closure according to a post in the CTI thread in the vendors section. That'll allow you to use a 5/16" stud on the from end for a larger variety of motors

Me too! The L265 does indeed have the threaded forward closure. The threaded closure that is sold separately (for other Pro54s) is a one-time use and does have a tracking grain. You can use the closure for motor retention, but I would not put an eye bolt in it and hang a chute on it unless your rocket is very light. In other words, it is not very robust in appearance.
Hope this helps.
NikeMikey

My plan is to use a 1/4 bolt from the bottom of my Avbay to the front of the motor and that is only 2 inches. I am also using the tapered aft closure.

Questions to everyone, but what is the part number for this? I don't see it listed on the Pro38 website. Is it certified/allowed for all Pro54 loads? Who sells them? I'm about ready to start ordering parts for a MD54 build and I could use one for setting the retainer depth.

Questions to everyone, but what is the part number for this? I don't see it listed on the Pro38 website. Is it certified/allowed for all Pro54 loads? Who sells them? I'm about ready to start ordering parts for a MD54 build and I could use one for setting the retainer depth.

Willdman sells them as part # P54-FC PRO54 Threaded Closure for $12.80 each. They are single use. You can also use the Aero Pack MC54 delay/eject closure adapter that taps into the plugged closure (non threaded ones) and attaches to the Aero Pack min. diameter retainer. This is reusable.

You can also use the AeroPack minimum diameter CTI adapters with the motors that already have the 1/4" threaded closure according to a post in the CTI thread in the vendors section. That'll allow you to use a 5/16" stud on the from end for a larger variety of motors

The aeropack retainer is not an anchor point for recovery. It is strictly to retain the motor in the rocket.

Christopher Short
Chris' Rocket Supplies
www.csrocketry.com
850-554-6531

The aeropack retainer is not an anchor point for recovery. It is strictly to retain the motor in the rocket.

Christopher Short
Chris' Rocket Supplies
www.csrocketry.com
850-554-6531

The Aero Pack adapter that taps into the CTI motor (plugged, non threaded, or ejection charge removed) is not a recovery anchor point. However, once attached to the Aero Pack minimum diameter retainer, the retainer is a recovery anchor point, and can be purchased with an eyebolt as a hard point anchor.

The Aero Pack adapter that taps into the CTI motor (plugged, non threaded, or ejection charge removed) is not a recovery anchor point. However, once attached to the Aero Pack minimum diameter retainer, the retainer is a recovery anchor point, and can be purchased with an eyebolt as a hard point anchor.

You can use them with any CTI 54mm closure, threaded or unthreaded: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?35532-CTI-Cesaroni-Technology&p=727812#post727812 and the next few posts detail this

Back