Want to buy new LiPos for my Ravens - what's a good source/brand for the 160mAh size?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23135__Turnigy_nano_tech_180mah_2S_25_40C_Lipo_P ack.html

That is the battery pack I use for my altimeters. I have two of the packs, and each powers a different altimeter, a SL100 and a RRC2+. Lots of output to fire pretty much anything as far as ematches go. I use the Accucel 6 charger that is also sold by Hobby King. HK is one of the best sites to buy LiPo batteries through, IMO. Make sure you order from the US warehouse and not from an international one, or you'll have slower shipping times and high shipping costs.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23135__Turnigy_nano_tech_180mah_2S_25_40C_Lipo_P ack.html

That is the battery pack I use for my altimeters. I have two of the packs, and each powers a different altimeter, a SL100 and a RRC2+. Lots of output to fire pretty much anything as far as ematches go. I use the Accucel 6 charger that is also sold by Hobby King. HK is one of the best sites to buy LiPo batteries through, IMO. Make sure you order from the US warehouse and not from an international one, or you'll have slower shipping times and high shipping costs.

What connector do you use. I might go to using Lipo. On my electric jets I us Dean connector.

You could use pretty much any connector, but I don't use a connector on mine. I tinned the wires and run the battery leads right into the screw terminals of my altimeters. Then to charge or discharge to storage capacity, I just use red to red black to black alligator clips out of the charger. I make sure to never get the battery wires close to each other, obviously. Electrical tape on the leads is my friend. They come with some kind of mini connector, like a mini JST or something like that. I removed the connectors because I needed my batteries to use as little space as possible in some of my rockets.

Rochester, MN
Tripoli L2

I've read some of the comments on lipos for altimeters and with the Raven, what kind of run time could one expect using a 2C 180mah pack?
If one gets stuck on the pad for a period of time at a busy launch is there enough capacity to sit armed for a couple of hours? Thanks Kurt

I've read some of the comments on lipos for altimeters and with the Raven, what kind of run time could one expect using a 2C 180mah pack?
If one gets stuck on the pad for a period of time at a busy launch is there enough capacity to sit armed for a couple of hours? Thanks Kurt

Kurt, a couple hours on the pad? Who the hell is running that launch? I have never seen anything close to that.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Kurt, a couple hours on the pad? Who the hell is running that launch? I have never seen anything close to that.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I've read where rockets have had to sit due to closing and opening of launch windows by air traffic control. Not through the fault of the launch sponsors.
It would probably be helpful to know what the standby capacity would be if stuck in that situation. But yeah, at a club launch with a few folks, probably not
a problem. Certainly not at a PARS launch.;)

Plllllllllllusssssssssssss. There was that BALLS where I guess a rocket or rockets sat on the pad overnite and the batteries were cold soaked. The altimeters turned on but couldn't fire the ematches. You know the rest of the story. In that situation, the rocket should have been taken down, the electronics kept warm and the attempt made the next day. Kurt

IMO for 1S 160mAh the ThunderPower 25C and Hyperion 1S 160mAh are top notch, use them in all my micro rc planes.

If you are using any of the AV-Bay's from Featherweight then understand they are sized for 140mah batteries and the 160 will not fit.

I had to learn the hard way.

Many new design altimeters only draw 1-2 ma when not firing a pyro. The StratoLogger can sit for 100 hours and still fire pyros. What does the Raven manual say?

Adam has very strong opinions on using higher than stock capacity LiPos with the Raven because he used a small pyro FET and does not have current limiting circuitry in his pyro circuits so if an output becomes shorted, the output FET will burn out with a higher capacity LiPo than stock.

Bob

Many new design altimeters only draw 1-2 ma when not firing a pyro. The StratoLogger can sit for 100 hours and still fire pyros. What does the Raven manual say?

Adam has very strong opinions on using higher than stock capacity LiPos with the Raven because he used a small pyro FET and does not have current limiting circuitry in his pyro circuits so if an output becomes shorted, the output FET will burn out with a higher capacity LiPo than stock.

Bob

But a 9V battery if I understand correctly works OK? Ummmm, one should be careful with whatever electronics they use. The old Parrot altimeter that has separate altimeter and pyro batteries I believe would draw current through the pyro circuit if the "arming" switch was screwed in. Even if the altimeter was switched off. It of course is out of production and is probably not flown by many anymore.
The EggTimer flight computer has two separate batteries and unless one has a switch on the pyro circuit, it too will draw current for the continuity circuit.
The only problem here is if one preloads a rocket and lets it sit for a long time (Yeah I know, who does that?):eyeroll: The pyro batt will
likely be dead if it sits long enough without a switch or disconnected pyro battery.
O.K. I've been guilty of that in the past because I like to pre-prep rockets so I can fly as many as I can during a given launch. In the Midwest, weather and launchsites can be difficult and launches get cancelled. The 'ol MAWD/SL100 can sit turned off for a long time. The bottom line is, "Know thine electronics." :wink:
Kurt

Back