Help with CTI Propellant Types

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
I am a diehard Aerotech fan. However, I could use some help with understanding some of CTI's different propellant types. I couldn't seem to find any of this info on CTI's website.

1. Classic vs. White vs. White Thunder?
  2. Dual Thrust - as I understand Dual Thrust reloads work much like the Aerotech K375NW. It has a grain of Warp-9 propellant at the nozzle end of the motor for a sharp boost, before sustaining on White Lightning.
  3. Imax vs. Vmax?
  4. C-Star - space shuttle booster propellent, right?

The Cesaroni website has photos of their propellant types. Let me see if I can find the link... https://www.pro38.com/propellant.php

It can be a little strange having so many CTI propellant types after coming from Aerotech. Basically, you have a couple more colors and some colors with multiple thrust options. Probably the easiest way to get used to CTI motors is to look at the color/smoke/etc of each propellant type and then look up the same motor diameter with the same grain size and compare the average thrust of each propellant.

I'm new to CTI motors, as I also used to be a die-hard AT user. However, the casings are cheaper for larger HPR motors when you use CTI, so I'm using CTI for my new higher L2 impulse flights/rockets.

Edit: Also, yes, the dual thrust motors use a fast burning propellant at the bottom grain to give a higher thrust for the launch.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I am a diehard Aerotech fan. However, I could use some help with understanding some of CTI's different propellant types. I couldn't seem to find any of this info on CTI's website.

1. Classic vs. White vs. White Thunder?
  2. Dual Thrust - as I understand Dual Thrust reloads work much like the Aerotech K375NW. It has a grain of Warp-9 propellant at the nozzle end of the motor for a sharp boost, before sustaining on White Lightning.
  3. Imax vs. Vmax?
  4. C-Star - space shuttle booster propellent, right?

Classic - Yellow/White flame, medium burn rate
IMG_0675-350.JPG

White - White flame (but not quite like WL), similar burn rate to Classic
MDRA2012_0421-1_zpse38922b2.jpg

White Thunder - White flame, fast burn rate
attachment.php

Dual Thrust - Your assumption is correct.

VMax - Stupid fast burn rates, low overall impulse compared to loads in the same case
IMG_8190.jpg

IMax - Slower burn, much more efficient propellant with a higher overall impulse compared to loads in the same case, plus a funky flame
9481071955_04bbd73c56_z.jpg

Cstar is a highly aluminized propellant, again very efficient
5.jpg

The Cesaroni website has photos of their propellant types. Let me see if I can find the link... https://www.pro38.com/propellant.php

It can be a little strange having so many CTI propellant types after coming from Aerotech. Basically, you have a couple more colors and some colors with multiple thrust options. Probably the easiest way to get used to CTI motors is to look at the color/smoke/etc of each propellant type and then look up the same motor diameter with the same grain size and compare the average thrust of each propellant.

I'm new to CTI motors, as I also used to be a die-hard AT user. However, the casings are cheaper for larger HPR motors when you use CTI, so I'm using CTI for my new higher L2 impulse flights/rockets.

Edit: Also, yes, the dual thrust motors use a fast burning propellant at the bottom grain to give a higher thrust for the launch.

Best of luck!
I did find that link however the descriptions seem to be a bit lacking. As to cost comparison - I just borrowed a Pro75-6G case for an M840 at BALLS, and am now thinking that ordering one of those cases myself could lead to a lot of fun flights. Not like 75mm 6-grain reloads are cheap or anything, but I know that CTI has those grain spacer thingies...

SWEET - thanks Dan! That's exactly what I was looking for, and the visuals really help. It would seem as though White is most similar to White Lightning, whereas White Thunder has an actual white flame with a much faster burn rate. A funky flame in Imax for sure - greenish/yellowish??

As for a motor like the "K590 Classic-Dual Thrust," that motor has a grain of...Vmax (right?) at the bottom, with a remainder of Classic grains on top.

Mellow Yellow is just COOL!
Case in point. ;)

I believe that it is starting to stick as a 'nickname'. The Mellow that i flew this last weekend definitely was not 'yellow'!

Mellow Yellow? CTI has a Mellow propellent (in fact I'll be flying a Mellow this weekend), but not one called Mellow Yellow as far as I know.

But the designation on the CAR Thrust curve for the propellant is MY as in 2645 L265-MY-P.
I am hoping to fly one of these in a 54mm Minimum diameter rocket at BALLS this year. :smile:

Jeroen said that MY started out with a yellow flame but by the time he got the burn rate he wanted there wasn't any visible flame anymore.

Jeroen said that MY started out with a yellow flame but by the time he got the burn rate he wanted there wasn't any visible flame anymore.

I knew I had read that somewhere, but really didn't want to try to search for it. I have yet to master the mystic art of the internet "search".

I am glad he maximized the Ns instead of going for an effect.

One other observation is that thw Classics seem to run a few $s less than the same size euivalents and the iMax may run some more..but untouchable in max Ns in that size.

Kenny

But the designation on the CAR Thrust curve for the propellant is MY as in 2645 L265-MY-P.
I am hoping to fly one of these in a 54mm Minimum diameter rocket at BALLS this year. :smile:
Sweet! See you at BALLS.

Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I am glad he maximized the Ns instead of going for an effect.

One other observation is that thw Classics seem to run a few $s less than the same size euivalents and the iMax may run some more..but untouchable in max Ns in that size.

Kenny
I've noticed that exact same thing. For example the L935 is about $30 more than the L730. I also had to rethink my plans to fly an M2245 as soon as I looked at the price... :y:

[video=youtube_share;rbO7fXBad3o]https://youtu.be/rbO7fXBad3o[/video]
Here is that link
Turn your volume all the way up.

I was watching that video... My sis asked my why I suddenly started laughing... I showed her the video... :)

How much do those rockets weigh (about)? Was that the Wildman Drag race?

Anywhere between 18-22# depending on how overbuilt they were. Tat was the 4" Wildman race at Red Glare. The one rocket that was not a a 4" FG bird was a Polecat Nike Smoke that basically vaporized as it left the pad. I think it is still raining parts from that thing.

Sweet! See you at BALLS.

Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I've noticed that exact same thing. For example the L935 is about $30 more than the L730. I also had to rethink my plans to fly an M2245 as soon as I looked at the price... :y:

But the M2245 9976ns is $70 cheaper than the Pro 98 4G M1450 9955 ns.. equivalent Ns ..limbo-ing just under N class - so think it is a deal ! Even the L935 with 3147 ns is priced close to the 75 3g loads ..I still need to buy the 6XL case to use it.

Kenny

But the M2245 9976ns is $70 cheaper than the Pro 98 4G M1450 9955 ns.. equivalent Ns ..limbo-ing just under N class - so think it is a deal ! Even the L935 with 3147 ns is priced close to the 75 3g loads ..I still need to buy the 6XL case to use it.

Kenny
Hmm, good to know. I guess the bottom line is that I can't (yet?) afford a $500 reload!

Back