Jig or apparatus for rotating a part during construction?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
A few times while building, I've wished I had a second set of hands. Last night, I was attempting to run a ring of glue around the inside of a body tube, and I realized that what I wished I had was something to hold the rocket and slowly rotate it around its axis, so that I could carefully and evenly apply a ring of glue. It gets tricky when you try to turn the stick or cotton swab (or whatever you're using) upside down, and trying to rotate the tube with your hands gets awkward - it isn't a fluid motion. With a jig, you could put a bead of glue on the downward side wall of the tube (where it wouldn't run or drip somewhere you don't want it to), then simply hold the stick or swab in place and rotate the rocket itself to apply the glue evenly.

I know this isn't a big deal, and I've not had a rocket build failure because of it, but it seems like it would be a nice convenience. Has anybody built anything like this? What other solutions have you come up with?

I built my own rotisserie for use in painting large diameter nose cones.

Basically some wood, a dowel, and a disc to spin the dowel.

I should probably post a picture of it.

I built my own rotisserie for use in painting large diameter nose cones.

Basically some wood, a dowel, and a disc to spin the dowel.

I should probably post a picture of it.

Please do! I'd like to see that.

Back