Elmer's FnF New formula

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The other day I was at Home Depot looking for some FnF. I didn't spot the familiar orange, white and blue container, but after looking more closely I found this.

20140826_070641.jpg

It states that it's 3x stronger so I thought I would give it a try. I mixed it as I would normally would and I applied it to fill in some fillets and other imperfections. It works pretty darn good. It seems to stay in the low spots betters and dries harder. It sands pretty much the same for the most part, maybe not as easy as before, but the little extra effort and worth the results. I would definitely give it a try on spirals, but just remember don't put it on too thick. I paid around $3 for that small tube so it is more that the old formula. I think an 8oz tube is around $7

Just wanted to share it with you guys. I like the results I get with this and I hope you do too.

I remember reading a few folks talking about this here on TRF. The consensus was that the did not like this product as much. Too grainy. A rocket buddy of mine bought some recently thinking it was the CWF I had been using. He said he didn't like how it worked either.

The regular stuff is still available at Lowes.

Jerome

I also bought some of the new formula, for a cabinet I was building and it is a piece of crap! It was too grainy, didn't take the stain very well, I found it harder to apply and too expensive. I threw the tube out.

Hey AB how 'bout some close-ups of your application. If it works for you, great ! I haven't tried it myself, still working with a 2 year old tub, but the reports I've seen for anything labeled "MAX" have not been favorable. Seems like the product description for this stuff includes some type of microballoons which were not in the description of the older packaging.

I remember reading a few folks talking about this here on TRF. The consensus was that the did not like this product as much. Too grainy. A rocket buddy of mine bought some recently thinking it was the CWF I had been using. He said he didn't like how it worked either.
Same complaints are found in the reviews on Home Depot's site - too grainy.

Any comments on the utility of lightweight spackling compound in rocketry, like this for instance?:

https://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=136&SubcatID=23

I had a $7.95 half-pint plastic jar of "lightweight filler" that I bought in a R/C hobby shop harden up on me and when I looked on-line to see if others had the same problem and what fix there might be, I found that it was simply repackaged lightweight spackling compound you can buy far cheaper at any home improvement store. Duh... The stuff is so lightweight that it must contain microballoons or something similar.

Hey AB how 'bout some close-ups of your application. If it works for you, great ! I haven't tried it myself, still working with a 2 year old tub, but the reports I've seen for anything labeled "MAX" have not been favorable. Seems like the product description for this stuff includes some type of microballoons which were not in the description of the older packaging.

I already painted the rocket I used it on but when I'm done with it I can post some pictures. It dries harder and fills in the low spots better. It might take a little while to sand but just don't cake it on like you do with the older formula. A little extra work but worth it.

Same complaints are found in the reviews on Home Depot's site - too grainy.

Any comments on the utility of lightweight spackling compound in rocketry, like this for instance?:

https://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=136&SubcatID=23

I had a $7.95 half-pint plastic jar of "lightweight filler" that I bought in a R/C hobby shop harden up on me and when I looked on-line to see if others had the same problem and what fix there might be, I found that it was simply repackaged lightweight spackling compound you can buy far cheaper at any home improvement store. Duh... The stuff is so lightweight that it must contain microballoons or something similar.

I've used it... it's okay... behaves a little differently than carpenters wood filler (CWF). I usually prefer to use the regular old-style CWF, because I can get one-and-done results with CWF, whereas with the lightweight spackling compound (LSC), *I* had to make a second application in order to get a good, solid fill of everything and the smooth even surface I desired. Seemed like part of it wanted to flake off in spots when sanded thin, which is something I haven't experienced with CWF.

Also, I brush-apply CWF by thinning it with water to the consistency of hot-dog mustard... doesn't take but working in a few drops of water with a brush into a teaspoon-size dollop of CWF in a small jar. Then, just brush it on and let it dry, then sand to your hearts desire. I tried using LSC with this method and it didn't work quite as well-- the spackle cannot be thinned as much, and it doesn't "rub onto" the surface as easily as CWF...

Of course you may have better results, so by all means, keep experimenting!

later! OL JR :)

I already painted the rocket I used it on but when I'm done with it I can post some pictures. It dries harder and fills in the low spots better. It might take a little while to sand but just don't cake it on like you do with the older formula. A little extra work but worth it.

Ok no worries. You still cut it with water right ? What's the recipe ? I still like to buy building materials locally so when my orange and white tub runs out the MAX stuff may be all that's available on the shelves.

Last edited:
Back