BSDHPR Website

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horizon

Reaction score
Ran across this today - www.bsdhpr.com .

I have been a fan of the BSD kits for years - and have read on here the ups and downs.

Not sure if this website is new or if it is something that has been around for a while?

Anyone know?

Would be great to see it come back.

Looks like the domain was registered in Sept of 2013. No idea when the website was created.

But there's someone on this forum who may know more; the question is whether or not he can say what he knows -- he may have been asked to keep it confidential.

-Kevin

When I see Don this weekend I will ask him about it.

Nothing like the whistle of the fins on a Thor!

I have an excess of rockets, but I will definitely buy a "real" Thor if the price is do-able :grin:

It's me.
There was a effort to awaken BSD from a long slumber. to this point it fail.
I have a chance to Buy BSD, but have little time to run a company during my off work times.
Still working on getting some rights to produce or have someone else produce Thor series rockets.

I removed it from my SIG.

The BSDhighpower.com site was bought a couple of years ago, by someone in Toronto, Ca, but that name is now owned by someone in Washington state. perhaps they were hedging a bet, but Scott Ulrey Owns BSD copyrights ( designs and Decal artworks) and still does...

Last edited:
I have always wanted to buy a Thor. I made two kits this fall for my own building fun.

While I would like to see BSD come back, I wish Scott would release the copyright on the decals, or at least give Stickershock permission to make and sell them. I'd buy them even if I had to spend a little extra so Scott gets a royalty...

I have a chance to Buy BSD

Sure would be awesome to see BSD under your helm (or anything else, for that matter). I'd buy BSD rockets if you brought it back from the dead.

Boy.... what a long strange trip it's been...... I'll make this brief.

Rocket R&D - was a pile of tubing in someone's attic - I ran it for the Buck's in IL, designed a couple of new kits (Brutus and IRIS)... moved back home to WA state in '93 to be near family. Started Binder Design.

Binder Design - was taken from me by a family member/partner who wasn't happy with my performance... sold out from under me in the late 90's. The new owner eventually sold Binder Design to Mike Fisher, who still owns Binder Design, and has done a wonderful job, in my opinion. I fully support Binder Design and Mike and I have had a good relationship through the years.

BSD - in '98, I started BSD (named for Binder Sign and Design, which is my sign business, still in operation.) In 2003, I sold BSD to Mark Saunders - who fell on hard times, and never finished paying me for the company. I wasn't aware that he'd put the company up for sale and eventually sold it to Scott Ulrey. I never received final payoff for the company, or designs. Can't really sell something that's not fully yours, can you? Well, he did.

OK, I'm a good-natured fellow, and let me tell you - there's NEVER been enough of a customer base in the HPR industry to make any kind of living off BSD - so, again, I remained quiet.

Last year, I decided to poke around the possibility of reviving BSD - since so many had contacted me for kits, etc. I tried to contact Mr. Ulrey and discuss it with him, but he had fallen off the face of the earth. I understand he was injured working with saws....

I put up a facebook page for BSD https://www.facebook.com/BsdHighPowerRocketry , stating that it was no longer in business - which remains today - mainly as a place that people could contact me with questions, and what not.... I was then contacted by Scott Ulrey - apparently, that lit a fire under his butt. He immediately threatened me with his "attorneys" and said I was trying to steal his rocket company.... I said I'd like to work together with him, and do what i can to help revive BSD. But he could not look past $$$, and just wanted me to buy it from him. Not gonna buy something I already own - and have copyrights too. So again, being a good natured fellow... I just stepped back and waited to see what would happen - which has been nothing, as I expected.

I saw that someone put up the temporary website mentioned in this thread. Keep in mind, I own www.bsdrocketry.com - the company's orignal web address - and I always have owned it. The new website is an attempt to keep me at bay - it is poorly done, and even has links back to www.bsdrocketry.com

So here I am, interested in reviving BSD, but not enough to start a fight with anyone - I'm just not that kind of guy. Yep, I should've just kept BSD all those years ago. I also should've made sure I was fully paid for the company - and if not, should've taken it all back, before an illegitimate sale was made. I still fly actively, and try to get to Black Rock once a year. Can any of these other guys say that?

So what do you think? Should I completely start over? Should I attempt to revive BSD, or at least some of the more popular designs? Should I just forget it and fly my own stuff, and enjoy myself? That's been working pretty well for the last couple of years, while NOTHING happens with BSD.....

Scott Binder

Last edited:
So what do you think? Should I completely start over? Should I attempt to revive BSD, or at least some of the more popular designs? Should I just forget it and fly my own stuff, and enjoy myself? That's been working pretty well for the last couple of years, while NOTHING happens with BSD.....

Scott Binder

Scott, I'll start off with, I have no idea if the story you spelled out is true or not, I was not there. I have no idea if you are the real Scott Binder even if the story is true. I would like to believe it is true, and you are he.

I think you should carefully consider your position and do what feels best for you. Many of us would like to see the company come back, or at least the kits, even if they have to be done under a different name to keep the attorneys sedated.
But ultimately it all comes down to what YOU feel is best for YOU. (And what ever the courts decide if you follow that path)

Love the Sprint XL (my first high power kit), Canadian Sprint, Apache, and Thor. If you own those designs they would sell under any name.
I also love the Binder Designs Stealth, Sentinel, Raptor, Jaguar, and especially the Samurai.

Of these I have the Sprint XL, Canadian Sprint (unbuilt), Samurai (also unbuilt), and the parts to clone an Apache.

I hope things can be worked out to see all of these kits available.
NikeMikey

Boy.... what a long strange trip it's been...... I'll make this brief.

Rocket R&D - was a pile of tubing in someone's attic - I ran it for the Buck's in IL, designed a couple of new kits (Brutus and IRIS)... moved back home to WA state in '93 to be near family. Started Binder Design.

Binder Design - was taken from me by a family member/partner who wasn't happy with my performance... sold out from under me in the late 90's. The new owner eventually sold Binder Design to Mike Fisher, who still owns Binder Design, and has done a wonderful job, in my opinion. I fully support Binder Design and Mike and I have had a good relationship through the years.

BSD - in '98, I started BSD (named for Binder Sign and Design, which is my sign business, still in operation.) In 2003, I sold BSD to Mark Saunders - who fell on hard times, and never finished paying me for the company. I wasn't aware that he'd put the company up for sale and eventually sold it to Scott Ulrey. I never received final payoff for the company, or designs. Can't really sell something that's not fully yours, can you? Well, he did.

OK, I'm a good-natured fellow, and let me tell you - there's NEVER been enough of a customer base in the HPR industry to make any kind of living off BSD - so, again, I remained quiet.

Last year, I decided to poke around the possibility of reviving BSD - since so many had contacted me for kits, etc. I tried to contact Mr. Ulrey and discuss it with him, but he had fallen off the face of the earth. I understand he was injured working with saws....

I put up a facebook page for BSD https://www.facebook.com/BsdHighPowerRocketry , stating that it was no longer in business - which remains today - mainly as a place that people could contact me with questions, and what not.... I was then contacted by Scott Ulrey - apparently, that lit a fire under his butt. He immediately threatened me with his "attorneys" and said I was trying to steal his rocket company.... I said I'd like to work together with him, and do what i can to help revive BSD. But he could not look past $$$, and just wanted me to buy it from him. Not gonna buy something I already own - and have copyrights too. So again, being a good natured fellow... I just stepped back and waited to see what would happen - which has been nothing, as I expected.

I saw that someone put up the temporary website mentioned in this thread. Keep in mind, I own www.bsdrocketry.com - the company's orignal web address - and I always have owned it. The new website is an attempt to keep me at bay - it is poorly done, and even has links back to www.bsdrocketry.com

So here I am, interested in reviving BSD, but not enough to start a fight with anyone - I'm just not that kind of guy. Yep, I should've just kept BSD all those years ago. I also should've made sure I was fully paid for the company - and if not, should've taken it all back, before an illegitimate sale was made. I still fly actively, and try to get to Black Rock once a year. Can any of these other guys say that?

Scott Binder

Thanks for sharing the history. Not sure of your age, but the older I get the more I refuse to deal with the insanity or drama of others. Sounds like you'd be going down that path in reviving BSD. That would give me pause, but a fight like that may just be the "fun" you are looking for in your life right now.

I looked very hard at BSD kits(Then ran by Scott U.) over other HPR kit mfgrs. when I first became a BAR. Dang! that was 9 yrs. ago. I now have to many kits, to little propellant and not enough cash. If you can clear up the legal issues, you will have a customer base. The lack of BSD kits gets brought up VERY often here on TRF. Yes it will use some re-start capitol, but BSD will be free and clear. However if you simply re-name the kits you still may get dragged into court and there goes even more of your re-start capitol. My $.02

Last edited:
If you can, I would restart it. The kits will sell. I have several stashed away for a winter build.

CW-Never reveal that you have a "Stash". If you should have a home invasion and all that comes up missing is your "stash"? A missing stash sounds weird in a Police report. Just saying.

While it is true that you won't make a living off it, I would like to see some of the kits return.

Have you been in touch at all with Don Ball? Not sure how he fit in with Scott, however all indication to me is that he's a stand up guy.

I found most of the story to be true, but there's a few errors in the Story.

Scott Ulrey did buy BSD from Mark Saunders, but basicly only got the right's to BSD name and Website, Vendors for raw parts ( no Parts or stock), I myself help Scott on resetting the website into Scott's name.
www.bsdrocketry.com was not alway owned by you. After Scott problems that hit him like a ROCK, his personality changed and life got very hard. He lost almost everything and the internic bsdrocketry.com name fell in to lala-land for lack of payment . The sites name was bought a couple of years ago, by someone in Toronto, Ca, but that name is now owned by someone in Washington state. perhaps they were hedging a bet, we assumed it was you, but Scott Ulrey Owns BSD copyrights ( designs and Decal artworks) and still does...

Now if you would like to get it back, talk to scott again, I know it's for sale, it's been ofter to me many time. sure beats the lawyer method and would be a lot cheaper. I have no time from massive project. Now Reviving it would be nice, be forwarned, Card board rocket kit have really hit on hard times, with all the CHEAP FG kits flooding the market now ( some are my designs, like DarkStar, Sorry). There Tanks!
I have been asked many times if any Kits are left or avalable over the last few years, 90% are for "THOR's". anwser is YES, I still have (2) 4" Thor's kits in a bag and a few Mini Thor's kits, but there my stash :wink:

Good luck Scott, I hope it works out for you and if you want it back, I hope it's done in a properly, don't assume you still have rights. additions to BSD since you sold it to Mark would not be part of the agreement, ie. Thor X, Mini Thor( sold a mass amount in one day of those), Diab-Glo, Those are my designs.
I have all the paperwork of BSD designs( artworks,decals and instructions, and Yes still in Coraldraw12), all sale agreements , website pages , so does Mr Ulrey..

Mr Ulrey has tryed to bring it back , but the hill turned in to a mountain. Never more.
If you want to talk, PM me.

Last edited:
Well, let's take a look at those errors in MY story.... the guy who's actually lived it. :blush:

And yes - it's really me (Scott Binder), for those of you who wonder... Not afraid to use my name here... and my phone number is (509) 525-4461 - the same as it's always been in a lot of the old BSD instruction books, from which I still receive BSD calls on to this day.

You mentioned Mr. Ulrey bought BSD - again, I'm disputing that since he didn't buy it from me, and the guy who tried to buy it from me, never finished paying me for it. When Mr. Ulrey contacted me after his "purchase", I told him the same. Repeatedly saying that he owns the rights isn't really proving anything, is it? You say you have sales agreements to Mr. Ulrey.... not from me, you don't.

Next - your history of www.bsdrocketry.com is odd... since I've paid for the domain name since 1997, when I created it. I still do. And I live in WA state... go figure. Don't know where the Toronto thing came from...

I wouldn't want any mutations of MY designs - you can keep those. No offense, but I just don't get what makes you feel qualified to speak on anyone's behalf on this matter?

I get that your a friend of Scott Ulrey's, but he gave up on all of this in 2006! I still have all the design files, graphics files, and more - of all the original BSD designs, all on the original working files that I created - in addition, I have much much more that I'd like to introduce a lot of people to....

I have also tried to do this properly - I really don't need to talk to Scott Ulrey - I know his position, and I'm pretty sure he knows mine. I'm also NOT considering hiring any attorneys to revive BSD - I can no more afford attorneys than Mr. Ulrey can. :p

That's why I tried contacting him when I was curious about the idea - I have the resources to do it now, and I hoped I'd have his blessing. If not, I hoped to be able to possibly help him revive the company himself. He chose to do neither.

It's a shame it has to be this way - just wanted to get my side of the story out there, and maybe give a lot of people what it sounds like they want.

dlb, I'm sure you'll want to stir up Mr. Ulrey and get him in on this conversation - but maybe that's what you should tell him - that I had the best intentions, and only want to revive my brand for the benefit of lots of HPR fliers. It is my legacy to this day, at almost any launch I attend.

By the way - those fiberglass "rocks" have always been available - and that's what made BSD kits so great - simplicity, light weight, for great performance on commercially available motors. :cyclops:

Scott Binder

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

glad to see you are still around & all is well!

Back when you were transitioning BSD to the new owner, you had several kits on old ROL. I bought several of them from you.

Sprint, 38 Special, Thor 4, Little John & 54 Special.
when they arrived the Thor was minus the decals. After a quick call, you mentioned you had just got in some aluminum "plate" vinyl for your sign bussiness.
You were anxious to see how it would look on a rocket.
You sent me Thor decals cut from it.

That rocket was my first I glassed,[only added 1/2lb.] was a hit wherever launched it. I flew the ---- out of it. Only problem was trying to take pics outside. It was so reflective , it always blinded the camera.LOL Easy to spot coming down though.

Here's some pics of the outcome.[only 12 or more, years later] Good luck with your venture back, looking forward to it.

100_8522.jpg

100_8525.jpg

Jim,

Do you still have that rocket? I would like to see it fly. That Thor is fantastic.

Each BSD kit I have had been place on the loft of my storage building to protect them.

Chuck

Someone used the word "drama" - yeah, you ain't kidding.

Hope this all works out, the various players get some satisfaction, & some BSD kits get bought/sold, built, and flown.

peace and rockets folks,
s6

Next - your history of www.bsdrocketry.com is odd... since I've paid for the domain name since 1997, when I created it. I still do. And I live in WA state... go figure. Don't know where the Toronto thing came from...

Well if you paid for the Domain, the Domain company was screwing you , as I also paid for that Domain in Mr Ulrey's name and if you do a history of it that is well documented. When he did not pay for it when it came due, it got open to the market. About 6 month after that, someone behind a corperate name got it, they were in Toronto, Ca, they owned it for about one year, then got move to WA. (you again ). About the same time as Facebook BSD page showed up. That was the reason for the BAD website of BSDHPR was made, we were thinking about revising it, it was hidden behind another website and was never completed.

I wouldn't want any mutations of MY designs - you can keep those. No offense, but I just don't get what makes you feel qualified to speak on anyone's behalf on this matter?

mutations?, gee thanks for the pat on the back from a fellow rocketeer.

I also was part owner, think that gave me the rights to be Qualifed to say anying I want too.

Don't know or care about your he owns you money (Mark Saunders) Story, He recieved good money's for it and if he did not Square with you I'm sorry. but not my problem. I do know many lawyers were involved during the sale to Scott and found it Free and clear.

You can do anything you like, I really don't care about it, Scott maybe a different story.

So enjoy life, Fly rockets and live stress free, maybe I see you at BALLS.

Scott out of his problems now and more level headed than when you talked before, so this is a easy fix, we are a small community, if that's the way you like to go, or just stumble forward in negitivity.

Sorry I hurt your feelings - maybe modifications would've been a better word than mutations.... They're not really designs, Don, they're modifications of my designs... just like every other rocketeer who built one of our kits did... thinking they were re-inventing the wheel. That's what's fun about rocketry.

Part owner....? First I've heard of that in this whole thing. Why aren't you offering to sell it to me?

And I can see which way this is going from your "negativity" response... (sp)

Thanks for being so helpful.

Have a good day.

I take it you never seen a Thor-X, the only thing it had in common was the decal style.
You just never know about 3FN rockets , but Decals can make a big differance.

I'm silent ( the man behind the curtain) and don't really care , just sharing the info and timeline I have, and show concern for a friend that maybe having more wind pulled out of his sail. So NO negativity, just concern for a freind.

But I love the idea you could care less about the mutations... :wink:

Got my popcorn with lots of butter, Time for the movie.

oh one last correction.

"but he gave up on all of this in 2006"

It was 2008, we just release another mutation, NSL 2008 mini Thor.. his family fell apart and he lost part of hand that summer.

Last edited:
Have you been in touch at all with Don Ball? Not sure how he fit in with Scott, however all indication to me is that he's a stand up guy.

Until we steal your trailer or turn it into a Skijet booster, hahahahahahaha, opps sorry, hahahahahaha

Back