CTI L265 Mellow Yellow video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I posted this video in the CTI thread but will post here too for more viewers.

54mm 6XL L265 9.9 second burn. 15304ft and around 1500ft/sec.

This is by far my highest and fastest flight. I broke my Mach cherry with the previous flight with the same rocket on a K360 (1350ft/sec), previous best height was 7600ft ish.
The rocket is my L2 bird, an Always Ready Rocketry Basic Blues 3" Dual Deploy, 11lb loaded with this motor. This is its' 6th flight with many more to go!

[video=youtube;NpnaITrUhPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnaITrUhPs&list=UUGAIn44rToUydItphCmuaKw[/video]

Last edited:
It may be the pad distance or weather, but I didn't see any Mellow or Yellow!!

Apparently it is just "Mellow" now, since they slowed it down to the point where the flame disappeared.

I don't mind it being just Mellow, 9.9 seconds burn is nothing to sniff at!

It seems like a Smoky Sam, just a bit lighter smoke--but I dig that long burn!

Later!

--Coop

SWEET flight indeed - what a killer way to wrap up a weekend in the sage!

But no yellow...

I don't think that "Yellow" was ever part of the original Nomenclature. Some folks just started saying that because they liked the way it sounds.

I think that it started as "Mellow" then, yes, people started adding the Yellow. This is such a 'relaxed' propellant that it got people to link it to "and they called him Mellow Yellow"

[video=youtube;OLFGnP_EPpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFGnP_EPpQ[/video]

Born high forever to fly
Wind velocity nil
Wanna high forever to fly
If you want your cup our fill

If they (CTi) do a real bright yellow flame it needs to be called "Electric Banana"!

Last edited:
I think that it started as "Mellow" then, yes, people started adding the Yellow. This is such a 'relaxed' propellant that it got people to link it to "and they called him Mellow Yellow"

No, Jeroen said:
"The Mellow propellant started out as "Mellow Yellow". However, as we reduced the burn rate, we lost our flame. We are open to suggestions for a fitting name for this propellant. The burn rate of the Mellow propellant is extremely slow (slowest ever used in an HPR motor?), but with the ProX igniter pellets the motors light very easily and can be used for clustering without problems."

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?35532-CTI-Cesaroni-Technology&p=720973#post720973

Mellow or Mellow Yellow is a great name. The only problem with this propellant is that my K360, at 3.5 seconds, is now a medium burn!

from the wiki
The phrase "mellow yellow" appears towards the end of James Joyce's novel Ulysses, where it is used to refer to Mrs. Marion Bloom's buttocks

Last edited:
Good thing for them that they lost the Flame and decided to just call it Mellow, since Mellow Yellow is a Soda, and would probably Sue them for Infringement.

I think that phrase appears on one or more of my other rocket videos, especially the ones that really impress or awe me! I couldn't say anything else whilst watching that flight!
It is definitely a little less coarse than some of the other phrases that could have popped into my head.

I am soooo going to buy more of these baby L's! I am not really one that buys 'fart motors' (as I refer to them), 0.5 second burn does nothing for me at the moment.

Very cool flight. Talk about 9.9 seconds of AWESOME!!!:D

Just curious, do these motors have yellow grains as CTI tends to dye the propellant grains of their respective colors, blue, green, red, etc.???

Good thing for them that they lost the Flame and decided to just call it Mellow, since Mellow Yellow is a Soda, and would probably Sue them for Infringement.

142133-MelloYello.jpg

Spelling slightly different, if anything, Donovan could sue, but I think now that this would be a moot point.

Very cool flight. Talk about 9.9 seconds of AWESOME!!!:D

Just curious, do these motors have yellow grains as CTI tends to dye the propellant grains of their respective colors, blue, green, red, etc.???

We managed to pop the delay closure off, but it seems that the grains are glued in the tube pretty well. From what i can remember, they are a grey colour.

I just love the reaction "Holly hell!!"
"Rocket video commentary" never ceases to amuse me...

I think that phrase appears on one or more of my other rocket videos, especially the ones that really impress or awe me! I couldn't say anything else whilst watching that flight!
It is definitely a little less coarse than some of the other phrases that could have popped into my head.

I am soooo going to buy more of these baby L's! I am not really one that buys 'fart motors' (as I refer to them), 0.5 second burn does nothing for me at the moment.
I know for a fact that I definitely called out a much more "coarse" phrase when my L1150R took off from the hill earlier that morning!
Long burns are way cool for sure - just like that M650W I flew!! :wink: I don't care much for those fast burns either, which is why I rarely fly Blue Thunder - little to no flame and very short thrust.

Bay Area Rocketry had a CTI L640 that was tempting, but then I remembered I should probably save a few $$ for the drive home...

Bay Area Rocketry had a CTI L640 that was tempting, but then I remembered I should probably save a few $$ for the drive home...

... and THAT, Sir, is the reason that I filled in Bend before driving the remaining 40 miles to the site, and also why I had two 5 gallon's fullo diesel in the rear of the truck. I was definitely going to get home. It is after I get home that the wife asks what i burned and how much it cost.

As to what I heard you say on that hill, there was no way that I was going to reply to a comment "Suck me", at least that is what I thought I heard.

... and THAT, Sir, is the reason that I filled in Bend before driving the remaining 40 miles to the site, and also why I had two 5 gallon's fullo diesel in the rear of the truck. I was definitely going to get home. It is after I get home that the wife asks what i burned and how much it cost.

As to what I heard you say on that hill, there was no way that I was going to reply to a comment "Suck me", at least that is what I thought I heard.

Good call on the fuel...

PG-13 rated commentary for sure!!

Back