Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a bunch of test with the Telemetrum this morning in my "Vacuum Chamber" and everything worked just fine. I was able to get 10 satellites connected within a couple of minutes and got accurate Lat/Long bearings. I also tested both the Main and drogue channels out with igniters and both fired as expected. Everything is looking good for LDRS. I made the last changes to my alarm that will be attached to the shock cord and when the rocket separates at apogee the pull pin switch will disconnect activating the alarm for the rockets descent. I also tested a GPS compass on my phone that allows me to input the coordinates and points me in the direction of the rocket and gives an accurate reading of how far away I am from it, this will be used as a backup to a handheld gps I will be borrowing from BlackBrandt. with the final weights I'm looking at 17,500' and M2.45 on the Loki K1127 which I was able to get ordered!

Glad to hear everything is working out! LDRS has really come up quick, I'm frantically working to finish my 38mm MD in time :facepalm:

Glad to hear everything is working out! LDRS has really come up quick, I'm frantically working to finish my 38mm MD in time :facepalm:

Haha same! I am rushing on painting both OCF and my 54mm Md. Only 2 days left and still so much work to do!

good luck! I had a great flight yesterday while the waiver was open

It was to windy to fly and after spending a whole day on another rocket that completely failed I wasn't feeling up to losing anything else. I may fly it next year or I may sell it. I cant fly it at my home field either. We'll see what happens.

It was to windy to fly and after spending a whole day on another rocket that completely failed I wasn't feeling up to losing anything else. I may fly it next year or I may sell it. I cant fly it at my home field either. We'll see what happens.

We all have bad days. https://youtu.be/hMvT9BKzbUg Spend the year flying other stuff and try again when you can get to the right venue.

When you get back, they'll be plenty of people who'll want Quarks built. Get 'em done before you have to go back to school........:wink: Kurt

It will be flying on something smaller first just not the K1127 for some time. I am going to have to adapt down to a 29mm motor for it at my club though because it's so light that the smallest of the 38mm motors puts it over 3500' which is too high to fly at my home club on a rocket this small.

Oh ok. No I got my mandrel from a store called speedy metals. It was 23$ total for a 36" length.

Beware of using extruded tubing as a mandrel without getting it turned on a lathe. I purchased a Speedy Metals 36" length of 38mm tubing to use as a mandrel. I checked it and it's way out of round. I also purchased a piece of 3" to use as a coupler. It was so out round I couldn't turn it down without destroying it. :-(

Back