Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I dont know if this will fly... I bought the K1127 and have that however the Telemetrum is still screwed up. I sent it back because I couldn't get it to connect to satellites. Now it works but it is overheating, The led comes on when the battery is plugged in and the device is off and the ready to go chirp sounds way different then it should. I'll keep you posted...

How do you know it is overheating? Do you have something you could fly it in to a lower altitude to verify function?

How do you know it is overheating? Do you have something you could fly it in to a lower altitude to verify function?

It is extremely hot to the touch. I will have to see what Keith says but I didn't want to ruin it any more then it already is and I wouldn't really trust it in my rocket...

I see. I had that happen once with an early RRC2 altimeter. I would carefully look over the board specifically looking for solder bridges between solder pads. If there are any this could create a short, or a component to be running at a higher than designed voltage. If there are any solder bridges I would get photos and send it to Keith ASAP.

Frankly, I am a bit concerned that it has been in for repair and it came back in suboptimal condition. I am starting to evaluate a few higher end flight computers (Telemetrum and Telemega, Marsa 54L, and maybe the Raven), and service reputation does figure into my thinking.

Frankly, I am a bit concerned that it has been in for repair and it came back in suboptimal condition. I am starting to evaluate a few higher end flight computers (Telemetrum and Telemega, Marsa 54L, and maybe the Raven), and service reputation does figure into my thinking.

Unfortunately it seems so. I payed way more then the rockets worth for the electronics and they may very well what holds the flight from happening. I'm hoping I can get this resolved. I looked at the board and it actually looks like a resistor is missing!!

I think they have the schematics on their website- I would take a look at those and see if you can figure it out. If it is a resistor that might be really easy to fix.

Is it the tracking that is the hold up for the flight? I assume you have another altimeter? If not, you could get a Missileworks RRC2+ for $45 that will handle the deployment and Max altitude reporting. You might be able to borrow a tracking radio from somebody else- not as elegant, but would likely get it done.

I think they have the schematics on their website- I would take a look at those and see if you can figure it out. If it is a resistor that might be really easy to fix.

Is it the tracking that is the hold up for the flight? I assume you have another altimeter? If not, you could get a Missileworks RRC2+ for $45 that will handle the deployment and Max altitude reporting. You might be able to borrow a tracking radio from somebody else- not as elegant, but would likely get it done.

I will have to check the schematic. I have a bunch of trackers and altimeters including the RRC2 however I don't have any space to fit a altimeter and a tracker. The main tube is filled to its max with the chute and the nosecone is epoxied onto the top of the 6" body tube. I really only have the space for a device that combines the altimeter and the tracking, That was the reasoning behind getting the Telemetrum. I will have to send them pictures and see what they can do.

A Walston has a long antenna, but is very flexible. You might be able to tape it to the harness and fit it if you have access to one.

You could fly a smaller motor, tape tracker on apogee shock cord, use the RRC2+

At least that would get you a flight & a good test run. Better than nothing.

The thing is I hve to bunch the shock cord I to a ball and pack it down it order to get the chute, separation charge and alarm in. I have about 4" of space to fit 5" worth of stuff in.

The thing is I hve to bunch the shock cord I to a ball and pack it down it order to get the chute, separation charge and alarm in. I have about 4" of space to fit 5" worth of stuff in.

You should have made it longer. By a couple of inches.

It is extremely hot to the touch. I will have to see what Keith says but I didn't want to ruin it any more then it already is and I wouldn't really trust it in my rocket...

That's not good. I'd be leary with the device if I had to send it back twice. Something's up. I'd second the motion here to use a smaller motor, discrete deployment electronics and tracker to at least get a test flight in if you can.
It's a bummer the TM is acting up because it's the smallest all-in-one deployment controller/GPS tracker available. Tough to work around if you've designed for that footprint. Kurt

I always feel that way about main chute bays. Never satisified with the upper bay on a kit unless it's longer so I can stuff a bigger chute in. I, stupidhead keeps kicking himself. Since Connor wants fast and high, ya gotta cut it close. Kurt

A couple inches of additional airframe is not going to drastically hurt performance. Unless you think you are going to break the k motor record with it I would make it longer.

Obviously not a choice now.

Great news I fixedIt somehow :) I decide to go over all the solder joints and touch them up a little. This probably voided whatever warranty iy had but whatever point is i was able to get it working just fine. Cant wait to be able to fly it!

Great news I fixedIt somehow :) I decide to go over all the solder joints and touch them up a little. This probably voided whatever warranty iy had but whatever point is i was able to get it working just fine. Cant wait to be able to fly it!

Well that's great news- a bit weird, but good to hear!

Nate

Well that's great news- a bit weird, but good to hear!

Nate

Hahaha yes it is quite strange but all seems fine now. I ordered some more batteries and should be all set for LDRS!!

Hahaha yes it is quite strange but all seems fine now. I ordered some more batteries and should be all set for LDRS!!

Umm, Do you have a project or know someone who would allow you to let it "ride along" as a test flight with a reliable altimeter to make sure it functions well first? Seems pretty strange that an unused TM would behave like it did.
I'd be worried about its behavior under G loading. But then again, if you "go for it" and your flight is successful, you'll know darned well that the unit is good and won't have to worry about it in the future.

Stupidhead here dorked a Raven III by letting a spring clamp slip and slapped the board while epoxying the large capacitor to the board. Never flown. Thereafter, the unit reset or shut down with the slighest torsion applied to the board. Inspection reveals nothing and the traces are really, really, really tiny on some portions of the board. It's not in the terminals so the unit is "retired". Better out the $155.00 than be out that plus whatever's in a fateful rocket. Kurt

So a cracked or cold solder joint? I would really test fly it if you can swing it.

If touching up the joints by reflow I g then voids the warranty then they should have fixed it in the first place. I would let them know what you did and ask if that voids the warranty.

I had planned on flying first thing Friday morning but Like you said I to think I should do a test flight and will fly it in my DX3 or something first to make sure everything is functional.

I did a bunch of test with the Telemetrum this morning in my "Vacuum Chamber" and everything worked just fine. I was able to get 10 satellites connected within a couple of minutes and got accurate Lat/Long bearings. I also tested both the Main and drogue channels out with igniters and both fired as expected. Everything is looking good for LDRS. I made the last changes to my alarm that will be attached to the shock cord and when the rocket separates at apogee the pull pin switch will disconnect activating the alarm for the rockets descent. I also tested a GPS compass on my phone that allows me to input the coordinates and points me in the direction of the rocket and gives an accurate reading of how far away I am from it, this will be used as a backup to a handheld gps I will be borrowing from BlackBrandt. with the final weights I'm looking at 17,500' and M2.45 on the Loki K1127 which I was able to get ordered!

What app are you using in your phone for GPS, and which phone?

Glad you have the telemetrum
sorted out.

What app are you using in your phone for GPS, and which phone?

Glad you have the telemetrum
sorted out.

It's the Moto X 2.0 and the APP is simply called GPS Arrow. It should work any android phone. I used to use a similar app on my iPhone when i had one but dont remember the name of that app. I think it was something like GPS Compass.

It's the Moto X 2.0 and the APP is simply called GPS Arrow. It should work any android phone. I used to use a similar app on my iPhone when i had one but dont remember the name of that app. I think it was something like GPS Compass.

Make sure you're well practiced with your tracking software and expect the wait for the first packet after the button is pushed to be
agonizing. Yeah the sim might say the trip up is short but man o' man it seems like forever before that first packet starts to come in
after the Mach or G lockout elapses.

If I recall, you are going to use a Tele-Dongle as a base station? If so, you'll be able to download the maps of the area before you go
and have it in your laptop before you get there.

Kurt

Make sure you're well practiced with your tracking software and expect the wait for the first packet after the button is pushed to be
agonizing. Yeah the sim might say the trip up is short but man o' man it seems like forever before that first packet starts to come in
after the Mach or G lockout elapses.

If I recall, you are going to use a Tele-Dongle as a base station? If so, you'll be able to download the maps of the area before you go
and have it in your laptop before you get there.

Kurt

Yes I'm using the teledongle so I will download the field maps before I go. I also have internet access through my Verizion MIFI so I will have access to google earth as well.

I built mine stock. Used a J-350 and 6 second delay, went to 1,600 feet.. That was a little long and and almost lost nose cone due to traumatic high speed ejection.. I'd recommend an altimeter somehow by building light and then relax.

I built mine stock. Used a J-350 and 6 second delay, went to 1,600 feet.. That was a little long and and almost lost nose cone due to traumatic high speed ejection.. I'd recommend an altimeter somehow by building light and then relax.
Wrong thread maybe?

Back