Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok since the fiberglass is just a veil layer would using 1oz or .5oz work. I'm trying to save as much weight as possible. I've never worked with anything lighter then 3oz.

I guess I missed this post. I recommend this one. Says its great for surface finishing.

Link: https://www.acpsales.com/5004.html

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Got my mandrel as well as my Mylar today. Just need the epoxy that will be here tomorrow or Saturday to get started.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409261855.923402.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409261880.826508.jpg

How does that carbon fiber/Kevlar mix feel strength-wise? I looked at it to maybe use but I wasn't sure if it lost any strength by being a mix.

How does that carbon fiber/Kevlar mix feel strength-wise? I looked at it to maybe use but I wasn't sure if it lost any strength by being a mix.

You get some pretty neat advantages having it mixed. Light and strong from the carbon and even more light since kevlar is less dense than fiberglass and stronger than fiberglass. Another advantage is the kevlar being impact and abrasion resistance.

Alexander Solis

You get some pretty neat advantages having it mixed. Light and strong from the carbon and even more light since kevlar is less dense than fiberglass and stronger than fiberglass. Another advantage is the kevlar being impact and abrasion resistance.

Alexander Solis

all of the above and it looks AWESOME!!!!

realized I don't have any scotch tape or shipping tape so taping the mylar to the mandrel will have to wait until tomorrow.

all of the above and it looks AWESOME!!!!

Yeah I've been wanting to make an all composite rocket for a while now and I was thinking about using that material but I didn't know anything about it and if the mix compromised strength.

Yeah I've been wanting to make an all composite rocket for a while now and I was thinking about using that material but I didn't know anything about it and if the mix compromised strength.

Oh ok ya kevlar is extremely strong but at the same time is very light.

Oh ok ya kevlar is extremely strong but at the same time is very light.

So however a done a veil layer of fiberglass like I will be doing does it matter if I apply the fiberglass layer after the carbon tube has cured or should I do it all together? If I do it altogether I won't be able to start until next week because I still have to order the glass.

I'd do it together. Carbon / Kevlar is one of the most difficult fabrics to work with. Hard to cut, hard to sand. Second only to straight kevlar. Im sure Connor's building skills are appropriate so I don't think he'll have a problem. However, if you haven't worked with composites before, CF/K isn't the easiest place to start.

Alex

[ QUOTE=Aksrockets;752015]I'd do it together. Carbon / Kevlar is one of the most difficult fabrics to work with. Hard to cut, hard to sand. Second only to straight kevlar. Im sure Connor's building skills are appropriate so I don't think he'll have a problem. However, if you haven't worked with composites before, CF/K isn't the easiest place to start.

Alex[/QUOTE]

Ok that makes since. I'll just wait. I've worked and done a lot with fiberglass but have watched a bunch of videos on making carbon tubes and I think I should be good. I also always start with complicated things. I mean my second true high power rocket was a 2 stager...

What peel ply you planning on using?

Alexander Solis

Ah the bleeder lease B peel ply. Should leave a nice surface for secondary bonding I believe.

Alexander Solis

Got my kevlar today. It is thinner then I thought but is 750lbd rope. It should work and save some space.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409346408.234323.jpg

Lovely kevlar you got there. My favorite to use as shock cords.

Alexander Solis

Yes it is nice. I got it from fudrucker. 10$ shipped for 50ft!!!

eBay. He is on the forum as well but I just happened to find it on eBay. Look up fuddrucker on eBay.

Does anyone have any experience with using shrink tube to hold and compress the fabric to the mandrel after everything is wrapped?

Does anyone have any experience with using shrink tube to hold and compress the fabric to the mandrel after everything is wrapped?

I really dont recommend heat shrink tubing. Heat shrink tape is better. I have some perforated shrink tape that I feel like giving away. I make carbon tubes like a champ so I really dont need it. Do you want it?

Alexander Solis

I really dont recommend heat shrink tubing. Heat shrink tape is better. I have some perforated shrink tape that I feel like giving away. I make carbon tubes like a champ so I really dont need it. Do you want it?

Alexander Solis

Sure I'll take it. How to you use it in this application??

Sure I'll take it. How to you use it in this application??

I forgot to mention you will need an oven. Basically you spiral wrap it around the laminated part. Since your going to use a veil layer this should work out for you. I have yet to successfully get it right since an oven is needed for such an application. Normally it should look like this.

https://www.privatedata.com/byb/rocketry/composites/glassing_tubes.html

Alexander Solis

I forgot to mention you will need an oven. Basically you spiral wrap it around the laminated part. Since your going to use a veil layer this should work out for you. I have yet to successfully get it right since an oven is needed for such an application. Normally it should look like this.

https://www.privatedata.com/byb/rocketry/composites/glassing_tubes.html

Alexander Solis

oh ok then never mind I don't have an oven that will fit the tube i'm making. thanks for the offer though:)

Edit: why cant you just use a heat gun?

oh ok then never mind I don't have an oven that will fit the tube i'm making. thanks for the offer though:)

Edit: why cant you just use a heat gun?

Because I have been there done that. I dont know what the difference might be with carbon, but when I tried it with fiberglass, thousands of air bubbles formed. They almost looked like dry spots, but it was the epoxy bubbling away. When using a heat gun you need to have consistant heat applied. For example a machine of sorts moving the heat gun back and forth horizontally and the mandrel rotating. With an oven you get even heating and I feel it gives better compression.

Maybe when I get more carbon I will experiment some more.

Alexander Solis

Back