Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy **** that is a really clear tube. Good work and glad the problem was solved.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

Holy **** that is a really clear tube. Good work and glad the problem was solved.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Thanks. The epoxy is crystal clear so that helps with he clear tube.

Thanks. The epoxy is crystal clear so that helps with he clear tube.

It is very awesome. Hard to believe the epoxy gave you so much trouble due to the self leveling ability. I would have thought it would level out flat. It should be placed in the instructions not to oversaturate the laminate.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Wanting to do the same thing with the carbon/kevlar hybrid as well. Only I'm looking to do a 54 mm. I'm following this one to see how things turn out and how the fins will be attached as well. Still unsure on the best way to go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Also I've read every comment and reply here and I must say, nice work so far.

Wanting to do the same thing with the carbon/kevlar hybrid as well. Only I'm looking to do a 54 mm. I'm following this one to see how things turn out and how the fins will be attached as well. Still unsure on the best way to go about it.

Cool I hope to do a 54 after this one. I am using the fin guides that come with the Blackhawk 38 from Wildman to align the fins. I will use rocketpoxy or some other strong epoxy to tack them down. Still have to research what epoxy to use for fillets.

Cool I hope to do a 54 after this one. I am using the fin guides that come with the Blackhawk 38 from Wildman to align the fins. I will use rocketpoxy or some other strong epoxy to tack them down. Still have to research what epoxy to use for fillets.

You can make some pretty good fillets using the rocketpoxy. Wait 15 minutes to degas and then apply, wait another 15 for it to be peanut butter like and shape it with a dowel or something with a radius. Let cure and you get some wicked fillets.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

You can make some pretty good fillets using the rocketpoxy. Wait 15 minutes to degas and then apply, wait another 15 for it to be peanut butter like and shape it with a dowel or something with a radius. Let cure and you get some wicked fillets.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Ya I didn't know if there was anything better to use. I used rocketpoxy on my Blackhawk 38 and man were those fillets smooth with no need to be sanded. I will go with it if I can't find anything better. I don't want these fins to come off. Also have to keep in mind no tip to tip.

Just got my .73 ounce glass. All I can say that it is smooth and light as silk. Work starts this weekend.

Just placed a huge order for everything I need to build this. Should be here by Wednesday for the weekend.😄

Wedensday!?!? What, did you do express? Anywhoo, can't wait for it to start :)

Amazon prime😃😃😃😃 couldn't live without it...

This will be my first MD build so I'll be watching closely. I'm actually thinking of using the carbon hybrid as well.

It's some nice stuff. Like Alex mentioned using a veil of fiberglass is a must. Much easier to sand into fiberglass then it is to sand into kevlar😳

It's some nice stuff. Like Alex mentioned using a veil of fiberglass is a must. Much easier to sand into fiberglass then it is to sand into kevlar😳

Yea I have a small scrap of the hybrid with blue and the kevlar when pulled apart reminds me of those hateful fake spiderwebs that come around Halloween. Alex might be the one making the body tube for me. I don't have he time or patience right now to attempt it myself.

Yea I have a small scrap of the hybrid with blue and the kevlar when pulled apart reminds me of those hateful fake spiderwebs that come around Halloween. Alex might be the one making the body tube for me. I don't have he time or patience right now to attempt it myself.

If your getting it from Alex then there's no doubt it won't be perfect!

More stuff!!

Lots of chip brushes

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412198958.019552.jpg

Some measuring cups

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412198978.239575.jpg

HUGE thing of JB Weld:)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412199019.351292.jpg

$12 scissors that worked perfectly!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412199154.410253.jpg

Stuff done:

Mandrel with Mylar

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412199054.715531.jpg