Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try playing a good ol fashioned game of tug-o-war... Be sure to twist opposite of each other too.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Well I gave up...I cut the tube of the mandrel and still couldn't find the cause of it not to slide off the mandrel. I'm going to have to terminate this project for time being as I don't have the time or funds to get all of the stuff to roll another tube to finish it. I will need to get a new mandrel as well because it is rough and has some deep gashes in it from cutting the tube off. Hopefully I will be able to get the project rolling again within the next couple of months.

-Connor McGrath

Seriously.... have you ever considred doing something like pouring liquid nitrogen down the mandrel? :p

If this happens again bring it to a potter launch and I'll bring liquid nitrogen.

Well I gave up...I cut the tube of the mandrel and still couldn't find the cause of it not to slide off the mandrel. I'm going to have to terminate this project for time being as I don't have the time or funds to get all of the stuff to roll another tube to finish it. I will need to get a new mandrel as well because it is rough and has some deep gashes in it from cutting the tube off. Hopefully I will be able to get the project rolling again within the next couple of months.

-Connor McGrath

Bummer, It is strange how you managed to get 6" out, but the rest would not budge.

I really recommend a Texas Towers Aluminum tube. It was neatly packaged, soft, and just absolutely gorgeous.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

you know what. i'm going to see if I can sand some of the gouges out. Since it will have mylar over it it wont matter if there is a gouge in it just as long as it is smooth.

Well, my Eggtimer product assembly service took off and I was able to buy everything I needed to finish this build.

First off I rolled another tube this morning after sanding the mandrel smooth. I made sure the mylar was loose and I applied a thin layer of grease between the mylar and mandrel to aid in its release. I decided to do the yellow side up because when I cut the previous tube off the mandrel I thought it looked cooler.

View attachment 247225

I ordered a sled from Landru for the AV bay.

View attachment 247226

I made a Carbon plate for the fins. 7 layers carbon compressed in my food saver for a 1/16" plate. I haven't had the opportunity to to sand it smooth yet but I will be perfect for the fins once it is sanded smooth.

View attachment 247227

A 5" coupler and bulkheads were ordered from madcow and should be here Monday. Only other thing I need now is the nosecone and I will be able to order that very soon.

My grandparents are getting me a Telemetrum for christmas so the electronics are set other then the antenna and ground station I need to get for the telemetrum.

Last edited:
First off I rolled another tube this morning after sanding the old one smooth. I made sure the mylar was loose and I applied a thin layer of geese between the mylar and mandrel to aid in its release.

Uhhhhh.... connor.... I think I may need to call PETA on this... :p

You applied a thin layer of "geese" to the tube... geese are animals... grinding up geese and rubbing on a tube for the purpose of rocketry... sigh. Nevermind. :)

Well even with all of the precautions I took the tube still got stuck. I was able to get more of it out but the rest wouldn't budge. I'm starting to think it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a carbon tube from somewhere. I'm going to see what I can do about it tomorrow.

Well even with all of the precautions I took the tube still got stuck. I was able to get more of it out but the rest wouldn't budge. I'm starting to think it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a carbon tube from somewhere. I'm going to see what I can do about it tomorrow.

...................C'MON Tube!!!!

Looks to me like you got yourself a tapered aluminum tube. That is propbably the only explaination.

Trust me when I say that it is cheaper making your own.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Chop the tube off, get a caliper and measure the OD of the aluminum tube in certain areas and see if it is consistent.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Better yet try to force the aluminum tube the other way.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Better yet try to force the aluminum tube the other way.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

thats what I've done so far but don't have anything else that will fit and am comfortable banging against the mandrel.

thats what I've done so far but don't have anything else that will fit and am comfortable banging against the mandrel.

Well shoot, this blows big time.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Just buy some thin wall FWFG and a CTI cone from Rocketry Warehouse. Or, better yet, buy a 38 Special and ask for the tube without slots.

If it is cold where you live, set the thing outside over night then bring it inside and start pulling the tube off. The aluminum should retain the cold while the carbon heats up to room temp faster. Making the carbon tube expand only slightly.

If it is cold where you live, set the thing outside over night then bring it inside and start pulling the tube off. The aluminum should retain the cold while the carbon heats up to room temp faster. Making the carbon tube expand only slightly.

Im going to try this as it is not as stuck as the las tube. I can slightly twist the bottom(end still on mandrel) but can twist it enough to move the top.

Im going to try this as it is not as stuck as the las tube. I can slightly twist the bottom(end still on mandrel) but can twist it enough to move the top.

This has helped me in the past when trying to get some pressed bearings out of an aluminum part. The bearings are steel so they retain the cold better than the aluminum did. After only 5 minutes the bearings fell right out.

Chop the tube off, get a caliper and measure the OD of the aluminum tube in certain areas and see if it is consistent.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

+1

This could explain a lot

Back