Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All he fins are airfoils. I also Decided to round the back out a little more.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419792278.038778.jpg

Next up is a oven. Going to post cure the epoxy at 170 for a couple of hours. I should have done this while it was still a plate but I forgot. I do t see any problem doing I now though.

I've found that post curing them even after, still adds some benefits. I would encourage the idea of post curing them still.

Performance Hobbies 6:1 conical nosecone ordered along with 25' of mylar. Time to get rolling some tubes :)

Got the nosecone from performance hobbies and did a little sanding to get it to fit. I then rolled another airframe this morning.

Got the nosecone from performance hobbies and did a little sanding to get it to fit. I then rolled another airframe this morning.
C'mon Connor.... You know just as well as we do that if there ain't no pictures, it didn't happen...

YAYAYA Pics to come. I just took the Peel ply off and this tube is PERFECT!!!! extremely smooth, no dry spots and most importantly no lumps :) Now to get it off the mandrel tonight........

MOST important update :):):) The tube came off the mandrel no problem!!!! However I had to put it back on as it wasn't completely cured and was still a bit malleable. Good thing is that it actually came off. I used about a 2" overall of mylar and didn't wrap it as tight so that must have been my problem.

Tube is officially off the mandrel and mylar has been removed. It still isn't fully cured but its nor really malleable anymore. I stuck my 1200 case and 480 case in it to keep it in the right shape.

1422543616205.jpg

first epoxy coat done and sanding to follow tomorrow. I'm thinking it may need one more but we'll see.

I sanded the tube for what seemed like hours....( Ok,Ok it was only like 15min) I got it nice and smooth then used Alex Laraway's advice and gave it a really thin layer of epoxy using a playing card to spread it put. I'm going to use a heat gun to get it cured faster and I can cut the ends off. It cam out great and I'm really happy with it. Within the next couple of days i'm going to get all the fins tacked on with JB Weld and will be using my BH38 fin guides so I can do them all at once and have them perfectly straight!

IMG_20150201_131434784.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150201_131434784.jpg
    IMG_20150201_131434784.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 119
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

OK quick question. I had RaHagen Sim this in Rocksim and it said the design was way over stable at 4 calibers while open rocket gives me a max of 3 calibers of
stability. Which have you found more reliable? And what one should I trust?

OK quick question. I had RaHagen Sim this in Rocksim and it said the design was way over stable at 4 calibers while open rocket gives me a max of 3 calibers of
stability. Which have you found more reliable? And what one should I trust?

Was all the inputs correct?

Back