Aurora 38mm MD rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman13

Reaction score
Ok now that I have found a decent name for this rocket I can begin the build. this will be my "first" true high performance minimum diameter rocket. it is built around a Loki 38mm 1200Ns case. the goal is to fly this at LDRS 34 and break Mach 2 as well as 15,000 ft. the body tube will be rolled out of a carbon/Kevlar hybrid fabric with a layer of 3oz fiberglass as a veil that was recommended by AksRockets. I am going to use a Performance hobbies 4:1 Ogive fiberglass nosecone. the open rocket file below is pretty much final unless anyone has some helpful suggestions on increasing the performance. I ordered a 38mm aluminum mandrel and some more laminating resin the other day as well as some more peel ply. I should be able to get started on the airframe sometime this week when I get the rest of my supply's. first question of the thread, will I be able to get by, by coating my mandrel in mold release or should I get some Mylar? if so what thickness and where should I get it?

View attachment Aurora.ork

untitled.png

I would use mylar, because you need to build up the thickness of your ID. Otherwise you may have a tube that your motor will not fit into. I recommend 0.002" thick mylar. Any thicker and you will have this nasty lump on your tube.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

I would use mylar, because you need to build up the thickness of your ID. Otherwise you may have a tube that your motor will not fit into. I recommend 0.002" thick mylar. Any thicker and you will have this nasty lump on your tube.

Alexander Solis

ok where do you get it from? cant find it anywhere online.

you dont need to use mylar. A ply of peelply will work fine. You should still release your mandrel. Depending on what size tube you got you may not need to build up thickness CTI motors are they only ones you need to worry about they bulge at the end where they are formed. depending on what resin you got an elevated temp cure can buy you a small amount of room and make demolding easier.

thanks I went with .005" because I want to give a little leeway on the ID of the tube. I can live with a slightly loose fitting case but not a case that wont fit the tube:)

Your choice man and no problem.

Alexander Solis

Subscribed of course! I hope that veil layer works out for you. Im half tempted to scrap my 38 because of what happened.

You can get mylar at hobby lobby too. Thats where I get mine. I mentioned that in my cf article and at 2:00 am that night I got a scathing email from a reader saying that he wishes doom and destruction on everything in my life if I buy their products. To each, his own i guess...

Good luck with the build!

Alex

Conman, I recommend this 3oz. fabric to use as a veiyl layer. The tightly woven nature will allow for easy handling and application.

Link: https://www.acpsales.com/3-oz.-Fabric-38-Wide.html

Alexander Solis

thanks.

Subscribed of course! I hope that veil layer works out for you. Im half tempted to scrap my 38 because of what happened.

You can get mylar at hobby lobby too. Thats where I get mine. I mentioned that in my cf article and at 2:00 am that night I got a scathing email from a reader saying that he wishes doom and destruction on everything in my life if I buy their products. To each, his own i guess...

Alex

haha someone must really hate hobby lobby!!

ok since the fiberglass is just a veil layer would using 1oz or .5oz work. I'm trying to save as much weight as possible. I've never worked with anything lighter then 3oz.

Anyways ordered the kevalr and nosecone. once everything arrives I can get started.

Alex

Alex this what I got (from my wife ) on hobby lobby . It was a religious stand that they had in court and won . It turned out through insurance they didn't want to provide birth control . Due to there there believes. And they get 90% of there stuff from China . They have the worst labor laws for children. This was from my wife . Now this post is not up for discussion . It was posted for Alex . This is not to not to come down on Alex in any way . It was posted because he didn't know why he got a upsetting email . The Person that emailed him like that needs to step back and think about what he said .

next question. I'm looking at couplers and in 38mm diameter there are really only 4" long couplers. I think that 2" on each side is kind of short but what do you think?

I also made a "stand" for my rail that will hold the mandrel. Just some 4"X4" and 2"X4" wood I ha laying around.

Last edited:
Your set up looks great. I'm jealous, because you have a table to lay your fabric on lol.

Alexander Solis

Hey conman did you place your order with texas towers?

Alexander Solis

No I got it from another dealer. It was only $23. Although it was only a 38" length or something like that.

Oh lol what do you build on then??

Mostly all the time on the floor. Sometimes if it is a smaller airframe I will grab a bunch of newspapers and laminate on the kitchen table.

Alexander Solis

Mostly all the time on the floor. Sometimes if it is a smaller airframe I will grab a bunch of newspapers and laminate on the kitchen table.

Alexander Solis

Oh ok. My parents would KILL me if I used epoxy any where other then my work bench.

-Connor

Connor... One thing I would recommend on the workbench, either lay a piece of something smooth over it, or fill, paint, sand, and wax it. This will allow you to pop dripped epoxy off of the bench. My epoxy workbench (not my building workbench) constantly remains waxed with mold release.

I will lay down some paper or something. There already is a lot of epoxy on the table. I am thinking of replacing it soon. It is just a slab of cork table.

When you replace it, get a sheet of plexiglass, glass, or cheap countertop (may be able to find some at the dump). Put that on top.

Oh ok. My parents would KILL me if I used epoxy any where other then my work bench.

-Connor

My grandparents and mother hate it too. Thats why I mostly have to do this in my room. By the way I am still missing the answer to this, but did you get your mandrel from texas towers?

Alexander Solis

Oh I forgot to say that I am subscribed. Looking forward to that pretty carbon/kevlar hybrid. I can't wait to try it one day.

Alexander Solis

My grandparents and mother hate it too. Thats why I mostly have to do this in my room. By the way I am still missing the answer to this, but did you get your mandrel from texas towers?

Alexander Solis

Oh ok. No I got my mandrel from a store called speedy metals. It was 23$ total for a 36" length.

Back