Marsa54L

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues installing the Connect Software on windows 7 home 64 bit? Installed fine on my old laptop I take to the field running XP.

Has anyone had any issues installing the Connect Software on windows 7 home 64 bit? Installed fine on my old laptop I take to the field running XP.

I'm running Win 7 / 6, though mine is Enterprise instead of Home.

I've never had any problems with it.

-Kevin

Not at all!
I have the MARSA 54
I'm running Win 7 64 bit ultimate on both laptop and desktop.

JD

Does anyone know if it runs and connects to the altimeter with Wine in Linux?

I did have some connection issues with other altimeters...

IF you have a USB printer: disconnect it, while trying to connect or use the software.
For some reason, it gets a little screwy when playing with serial to USB drivers.

JD

Does anyone know if it runs and connects to the altimeter with Wine in Linux?

I tried once and it didn't work. I haven't tried lately since I came up with updated instructions for Burnsim in Linux below. It' s real PITA. Here's the helpfile but
I warn you, it's difficult. Rocksim 9 will work except it can't make a sprite of the rocket to run in the simulation. Beeline program software, Perfect Flite software
and Arts 2 setup software works. Kurt

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR BURNSIM BUT ROCKSIM 9 WILL WORK. ONE GETS WINE CONFIGURED LIKE MENTIONED AND THEN INSTALL ROCKSIM. ONE STILL
HAS TO HAVE A REGISTRATION FILE TO GET THE PROGRAM TO WORK. IT WILL NOT ALLOW ONE TO PIRATE SOFTWARE.

The original document composed previously is located here:

https://burnsim.com/linux.asp (THIS LINK DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE JUST CHINESE CHARACTERS BUT THIS IS THE SAME DOCUMENT)

I have worked with a different version of linux (Kali 1.0.6) along with Slackware 14.0 and have discovered a different method for installation using
Wine versions 1.7.XX.

The first step is to download Wine into your user directory:

https://www.winehq.org/download/

The original instructions above worked with Slackware 13.1 and Wine 1.2.13. The versions of WINE and Slackware after that wouldn't work properly
until I was able to get this method together.

Install Wine 1.7.XX by going to the unpacked directory and doing a ./tools/wineinstall. It will take time to build so go watch a movie or something. :)

When that's done, go to https://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks and download winetricks like instructed. Change the permission on winetricks so you can excute it
by doing ./winetricks.

Winetricks now has a GUI or one can enter the command direct like ./winetricks fontfix. Oh, one needs to be connected to the internet for this to work.

You might notice when wine installs it will download and install Gecko and Mono. This is normal. I then go to ./winetricks and with the gui hit ok with "Select the default
wine prefix. Then go to install a font and select corefonts and when done I still select fontfix though this might not be needed anymore.
In the original installation at the address burnsim.com/linux.asp above a ./winetricks corefonts gave an error code described in that document. The fix is located there but I
suspect the "corefonts" command will go smoothly.

I had some problems with Burnsim and I downloaded Mono for WINDOWS from here:

https://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

I used the WINDOWS versions. I tried both version 2 and 3. I downloaded the executable and used wine mono-x.xx.x-gtksharp.(etc) command
Actually Firefox told me it could open the file with wine so I just had it do that directly and install the WINDOWS version of Mono using WINE to do it.
I have no idea why I had to use WINE to install the WINDOWS version but I couldn't get Burnsim3 to run without doing this.

Next step is to ./winetricks dotnet20 and go through that installation cycle. That is followed by ./winetricks dotnet40. Now the installer will say that dotnet40 doesn't
work. Install it anyways, it will complete the installation cycle. When I had used Mono version 3.2.6, netframework dumped it as it installed netframework 4
(with dotnet40) No big deal, don't worry about it as Burnsim will work.

O.k., ./winetricks msscript and get that in. It doesn't take long. Next do ./winetricks vcrun2005 followed by wsh57. (Actually the order isn't too important)

The long one is going to be ./winetricks gdiplus. If you have a highspeed connection it will still take a long time to get installed. Without gdiplus, the graphs won't be
drawn.

That's it for the installation. Next step would be to do a wine setup.exe of the Burnsim3 setup files and then run the installed Burnsim executable with WINE.
You might get the WINE mediated executable placed in a menu item automatically or have to go dig for it and run it manually. It will depend upon the version of linux
one uses.

Now if one wants to have access to the com ports for serial connections you can follow add this to the above instructions. I'm copying it out of the old file:

Now we'll do some housework so the /dev/ttyUSB(x) ports will be redirected to com ports. One simply goes to the /.wine/dosedevices directory and does this command:
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1 and additional commands ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 com2 and so on if one wants more ports. Just do the linking commands and leave 'em in.
They'll be there when you connect a device

This next step might not be needed for Burnsim but it's addition to the setup allowed me to run the APRS tracking program APRSIS32 program under
WINE in my Slack environment. It's pretty easy to do.

The ~/.wine/system.reg needs to be modified by cutting one of the choices out below and pasting it in like described:

Scroll down to Serial Com Port and you will see these three choices:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\devicemap\serialcomm]
"COM2"="COM2"
"COM1"="COM1"
[HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM] 1131331688
"COM1"="COM1"
"COM2"="COM2"
[Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 1231984861 @=""
"Serial0"="COM1"
"Serial1"="COM2"
"Serial2"="COM3"
"Serial3"="COM4"
"Serial4"="COM5"
"Serial5"="COM6"
"Serial6"="COM7"
"Serial7"="COM8"
"Serial8"="COM9"
I've tried #2 and #3 successfully. Didn't try #1 but it might work too. What I did was cut the statement of choice out and used a text editor to paste it into the /.wine/system.reg
file. Beginning or end I don't think it matters Again, this might not be necessary for Burnsim but made the difference with APRSIS32. It also might have made it
possible for me to run the MCP-4A programming software for the Kenwood D72A radio as long as the D72A was connected to com1 (/dev/ttyUSB0)
Many altimeter programs will run and also Rocksim 9 can be installed and will run. It won't make a sprite of your particular rocket for visual animation but everything else
will work. NOTE: One still has to use registered software. This will not allow one to pirate and run any software.
Oh, with some linux systems, once you plug in a serial item say like /dev/ttyUSB0 you might have to do a sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 in order to get access to the
device.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like I said, it's pretty involved to pull off.

Last edited:
Back