Earthquake last night

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
We had a pretty good sized earthquake last night. I live around 50 miles from the epicenter, and we had a good long shake here --- a long rattling shake that was enough to wake us up and rattle all the loose items in the room. It never felt vere threatening here, we had no damage, and we went right back to sleep afterward.

This morning there were several news stories about damage, fires, and injuries in Napa and Sonoma. The quake was a 6.1, centered in American Canyon, CA. That's a pretty big quake! They are saying it's the largest to hit the area in 25 years. The Govenor has declared a state of emergency.

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=f51e4839b4bb397d&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

https://www.cnn.com/2014/08/24/us/california-earthquake/index.html

https://m.kcra.com/news/usgs-60-earthquake-shakes-northern-california/27703718

Glad you're OK.

Prayers for those who are hurt and have losses from this.

God Bless!
Jim

We were awakened as well but nothing started dancing around the house.

We are also about 50 miles from the epicenter but there's a small mountain range between us and the earthquake area so perhaps it acted as a buffer.

We're about 100 miles away and didn't feel a thing. I'm glad you both are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

OK here is Santa Rosa. Just some movin and shakin. My two sons, both were on duty last night (firefighters) and got deployed over to Napa. I've been get some Txt's from them.

Tony

I'm about 35 miles away, it was not very sharp but lasted an awful long time. Got up, went to closet, put on clothes, stood in the doorway. Then I was thinking Okay this could stop now.

The early alert system broadcast a 10 second warning at a time everyone was sleeping, but at least it works.

I'm about 35 miles away, it was not very sharp but lasted an awful long time. Got up, went to closet, put on clothes, stood in the doorway. Then I was thinking Okay this could stop now.

Yeah, it seemed to go on a long time. There weren't any sharp jolts here, and we did not get that rolling sensation that you sometimes get --- just a long grinding rattle that went on and on.

We live in American Canyon - our home is about 4 miles from the epicenter. It was a good shaker. Been spending the morning cleaning up, and there's still more to do. I'm really glad our bookcases were bolted to the walls - books and stuff all over the floor, and a lot of broken glass in the kitchen. No apparent structural damage to the house, as it's only about 14 years old, and it was engineered to endure earthquakes. Our family is fine, but some of the nearby older buildings in Napa and Vallejo didn't fare so well.

We live in American Canyon - our home is about 4 miles from the epicenter. It was a good shaker. Been spending the morning cleaning up, and there's still more to do. I'm really glad our bookcases were bolted to the walls - books and stuff all over the floor, and a lot of broken glass in the kitchen. No apparent structural damage to the house, as it's only about 14 years old, and it was engineered to endure earthquakes. Our family is fine, but some of the nearby older buildings in Napa and Vallejo didn't fare so well.

Glad to hear you are ok! Good luck with your cleanup. Take care.

Rumor has it that the quake was caused by Chris Brown and his wild birthday party shoot-em-up just 90 minutes before....

The Governor has declared a state of emergency? For California? You've got to be shidding me Ralph!

The Governor has declared a state of emergency? For California? You've got to be shidding me Ralph!

The state of emergency is only for southern Napa county, and it makes available state personnel and equipment to respond to the local disaster.

When Pete Wilson was Governor of California there was a natural disaster every 60 days or so...kinda like nature was rebelling against his governorship.

It's been pretty quite since Brown was re-elected with only the occasional wildfire and such.

Wow, you were in it Bill. We are about 65 miles from it. Felt it pretty good, no damage. Supposedly some wine bottle damage up there. Remember the 1989 Loma Prieta quake well.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I went through a 5.1 earthquake with the center near my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Scary, but didn't last too long. Friends in Los Gatos spoke of the '89 quake--glad I wasn't there at that time.

Having lived in California for forty years I’ve experience so many earthquakes it has become a “Put another quarter in” event. I even managed to be vacationing in Eureka during the ’92 Cape Mendocino quake.

I can be this blasé about earthquakes because I have been fortunate enough to have never been anywhere there has been severe damage or any loss of life.

I was living in Sunnyvale CA during the ’89 Loma Prieta quake but all I felt was a good shake rattle and roll. San Francisco and Oakland got whacked pretty good with over 60 deaths and many injuries. The cost in property damage was around $6 billion.

Now the above was bad enough but the serious damage and resulting fires was limited to a relatively few locals, but thanks to the ever helpful and informative news services my mother living in Oklahoma thought the entire Bay Area had been flattened and consumed in a roaring inferno.

Having lived in California for forty years I’ve experience so many earthquakes it has become a “Put another quarter in” event. I even managed to be vacationing in Eureka during the ’92 Cape Mendocino quake.

I can be this blasé about earthquakes because I have been fortunate enough to have never been anywhere there has been severe damage or any loss of life.

I was living in Sunnyvale CA during the ’89 Loma Prieta quake but all I felt was a good shake rattle and roll. San Francisco and Oakland got whacked pretty good with over 60 deaths and many injuries. The cost in property damage was around $6 billion.

Now the above was bad enough but the serious damage and resulting fires was limited to a relatively few locals, but thanks to the ever helpful and informative news services my mother living in Oklahoma thought the entire Bay Area had been flattened and consumed in a roaring inferno.

I lived in Arcata in '92, and that was the first time I remember being afraid in an earthquake. When the first quake hit, I remember being pretty casual about it. Even though it was one of the strongest quakes I had ever been in, I still thought it was kind of fun and just rode it out with no worries. Then we turned on the news and started to realize it had caused some damage in other nearby towns. When the next aftershock hit, I was a lot more worried, and we turned on the news immediately afterward to see fires burning in Scotia. When the next one hit, I spent the whole time braced in the doorway hoping it would stop.

My cousin reported getting the shakes in Alameda ("... where the nuclear wessels are."). No damage thankfully. Can't imagine livin' on the fault line.

My cousin reported getting the shakes in Alameda ("... where the nuclear wessels are."). No damage thankfully. Can't imagine livin' on the fault line.
Even living near the fault line differs. Our home is built on solid bedrock, whereas homes 1/2 mile away (closer to the river) built on sediment had structural damage.

My in laws have a business up there-lots of broken bottles-about 15-20k of damage. Happy to report nobody hurt.

Every earthquake emergency kit should include a supply of straws for sucking spilled wine off the floor.

The newest brand is "Chamois Varietal Non-Sparkling" (fruity notes with a hint of Pledge). Available in 5 gallon totes.
( I hope they don't see this....)

Good News: Price on "Two-Buck Chuck" has dropped to one buck.

Bad News: May contain dust bunnies and Spic 'n' Span.

We're about 50 miles away too and I felt nothing. We did feel the Mag 5 one in Lassen about a year ago, and that one was over 100 miles away....

I see what you did there...
Wasn't that an album title?
Possible the Doobie Brothers?
Or was it someone else?

When I lived in the Bay Area, I went through a 5.1 earthquake with the center near my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Scary, but didn't last too long. Friends in Los Gatos spoke of the '89 quake--glad I wasn't there at that time.

I lived in Huntington Beach from summer of 1988 to fall of 1989. I was unnerved by the frequent small shakes.
SHORTLY after we relocated to Athens, Ohio for my wife to attend grad school on a scholarship, the Candlestick Park World Series earthquake struck. I heard about it via an AM radio station that I was working for at the time. I feel a bit guilty now, but
My first thought was "I made it off the west coast just in time..."

Last edited:
I lived in Huntington Beach from summer of 1988 to fall of 1989. I was unnerved by the frequent small shakes.
SHORTLY after we relocated to Athens, Ohio for my wife to attend grad school on a scholarship, the Candlestick Park World Series earthquake struck. I heard about it via an AM radio station that I was working for at the time. I feel a bit guilty now, but
My first thought was "I made it off the west coast just in time..."

You know what we call people who panic during an earthquake? Tourists

Back