Space X Lander Explodes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was awesome!!!:y:
I would have loved to have been there to see that.

From the video it looks like it had an engine shut down, then pitched over. My guess is that a self-destruct event was triggered.

John

Yes, I don't recall if I saw it here, or on one of the news site, but they had an engine shutdown due to an anomaly, which resulted in an auto-destruct.

"Ummm... like, is that SUPPOSED to happen??" Geez Louise...

I was hoping for SpaceX video, not some confused dumb blonde... LOL:)

I've been to a launch not far from their MacGregor test site... at the time (probably about ten years ago) nobody outside the "nu-space" crowd had ever heard of SpaceX, and they were just starting to test Merlin rocket engines. It was funny and I remember it well because of the bad luck this guy had in the porta-crappers...

This guy in the pop up next to us went to the portajohn and while he was in there, a big rocket separated and came in for a core sample, ricocheting off the door of the portajohn he was in at the time... WHUMP! He came out rather ruffled but none the worse for wear...

SO, later in the day, he returns to the portajohn while we continue watching the launch... the countdown is given and a rocket goes up, about this time, a LLLOOOONNNNGGGG, loud, crackling rumble that is felt as much as heard rolls across the Texas prairie from behind us... we turn to look half expecting to see a mushroom cloud in the distance or the fireball of a crashed airliner or something... a pillar of smoke is going up, but it doesn't look particularly bad... about this time as folks start murmuring, word passes through the crowd that "SpaceX is testing another rocket engine"... okay... cool... of course everything is rattling pretty good by this point and the rumble continues, getting louder, until it FINALLY plays out after a few seconds... The fellow in the porta-john comes out, eyes big as saucers... LOL:)

Later Betty and I had a laugh in the truck going back to Waco to spend the night... "Yeah, that's where I want to be when WWIII starts... in a porta-crapper!" LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Shame but DARS no longer has the MacGregor field IIRC...

"Ummm... like, is that SUPPOSED to happen??" Geez Louise...

I was hoping for SpaceX video, not some confused dumb blonde... LOL:)

I've been to a launch not far from their MacGregor test site... at the time (probably about ten years ago) nobody outside the "nu-space" crowd had ever heard of SpaceX, and they were just starting to test Merlin rocket engines. It was funny and I remember it well because of the bad luck this guy had in the porta-crappers...

This guy in the pop up next to us went to the portajohn and while he was in there, a big rocket separated and came in for a core sample, ricocheting off the door of the portajohn he was in at the time... WHUMP! He came out rather ruffled but none the worse for wear...

SO, later in the day, he returns to the portajohn while we continue watching the launch... the countdown is given and a rocket goes up, about this time, a LLLOOOONNNNGGGG, loud, crackling rumble that is felt as much as heard rolls across the Texas prairie from behind us... we turn to look half expecting to see a mushroom cloud in the distance or the fireball of a crashed airliner or something... a pillar of smoke is going up, but it doesn't look particularly bad... about this time as folks start murmuring, word passes through the crowd that "SpaceX is testing another rocket engine"... okay... cool... of course everything is rattling pretty good by this point and the rumble continues, getting louder, until it FINALLY plays out after a few seconds... The fellow in the porta-john comes out, eyes big as saucers... LOL:)

Later Betty and I had a laugh in the truck going back to Waco to spend the night... "Yeah, that's where I want to be when WWIII starts... in a porta-crapper!" LOL:)

There really is no better place if you're gonna have the crap scared out of ya.

Back