Motors-what brand?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of motor?

• Cesaroni

• Rousetech/aerotech

• Homemade

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Would "other" be the same as "ALL"? I don't mix any more, and even tho' I'm heavily into AT, I find myself moving more and more into Cez. So is the right answer "right now, for this rocket on this day in these conditions, I'm flying Cesaroni-but next week it's all about Aerotech?"

AT/RT for me. I have all the hardware I need, I can buy the motors at a discount from the onsite vendor, and I'm familiar with the assembly of said motors.

I like the idea of the Cesaroni reload system, have most of the hardware I need but must pay full boat to for the reloads and have had mostly mixed luck in getting the reloads to fit into the cases on the first try. Maybe I'm holding my mouth wrong.

In the end, I personally can assemble an Aerotech motor quicker and with a whole lot less "words of power" being needed. YMMV.

I'm all about cesaroni, mainly, because they are cheaper in terms of hardware.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

I fly Cesaroni as I find they are extremely reliable and the hardware is reasonably cheap. (Plus they're Canadian made:))

I'm all about cesaroni, mainly, because they are cheaper in terms of hardware.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

True but the reloads are much more expensive .

I fly mostly aerotech and some Loki. I just like making the motor:)

I fly AT/Dr Rocket because that is what I started collecting a while back. I have the hardware I need. If I graduate to 54mm, maybe I will try Cesaroni, though I do have a 54/1280 DR case already. Wont know until I get there. My onsite vender sells both.
I fly mostly 24mm & 29mm. It is nice to be able to order online during sales without the Hazmat cost.

What brands what? Which brands have the best website? Get you the most girls? Can read you mind? Have the best support? Makes the best motors? Do you prefer? Well that would be Loki of course.

AMW is the only vendor to come to MD regularly, so it's CTI for me. No shipping, no hazmat.

Hmmm, tough one to answer on the poll as it is, so I clicked on "other".
I don't believe the "title says it all" actually - What do I prefer, or is my favorite? What do I ACTUALLY fly the most of? "Most" meaning purely how many motors, or "choose most often", or in terms time spent flying, etc? Most dollars spent?

Example: I have a 12 motor cluster rocket that flies on Estes BP motors. If I fly it twice, I've flown 24 Estes/BP motors. But for the vast majority of my flying days, I'm flying AP motors made by AT, CTI, and Loki. On a given day on those days I might launch only 2 to 6 flights. So, in say 4 or 5 days of flying (which might be spread out over 6 or 8 months), I might fly CTI motors only 10 or 15 times. But does this mean I fly Estes/BP "most" of the time? I don't think so.

Given that, here's how I think of it:

I fly AP motors, 29-38mm, impulses G/H/I "most of the time". I guess I fly Aerotech a bit more often than CTI or Loki, but that's somewhat incidental rather than a stated preference.
* Aerotech motors are more readily available, I'm able to buy them at a discount MUCH more often, and I really like White Lightning propellant. Also the HobbyLine offerings are outstanding and economical.
* CTI motors are excellent, ignite fast and reliably, are super easy to assemble and disassemble/clean, have a great range of propellants. Jeroen from CTI spends a decent amount of time here on the forum, and is very helpful & attentive to customer's needs/preferences/concerns - this counts for a lot in my book. If I HAD to choose just one, it would likely be CTI
* Loki is awesome. Super high quality hardware and propellants, a great company to deal with, a dedication to excellence, etc. Scott is a valuable presence here on TRF as well and is very tuned in to his customers - again, this counts for a lot to me. He's also much more of a "one man show" than a big corporation, and I like dealing with folks like this. If Loki was "around" as much as AT, and/or had more propellant choices, I'd fly a LOT more.

I should say that all three of these manufacturers are great, and I'm happy to fly any or all of them. They are each "my favorite" for different reasons.

Beyond "most", I also fly BP motors from Estes in 18/24mm, A/B/C/D impulse. And I fly a fair bit of Aerotech 18/24/29mm, D/E/F/G impulse, but I'm starting to fly some CTI in this range as well. On the other end of the scale I fly 38/54mm J/K/L motors, mostly CTI and Loki.

It's all good.
s6

Last edited:
Like if everyone have to limit is choice to only 1; I choose the altitude I want and the weight of my rocket , if I want effect ( smoke, sparks, slow lift off ) and then I look witch brand have the motor I need.

Last edited:
I bought all my AT hardware before CTI got to market. With the lower price on 38mm and smaller reloads, I've stuck with AT. I do have a Pro54 6GXL case but don't' fly that much.

True but the reloads are much more expensive .

I fly mostly aerotech and some Loki. I just like making the motor:)

No, only the smaller 24mm to 38mm CTI reloads cost more. The 54mm and up CTI reloads are comparable to AT. Even the 38mm reloads are not much more in the larger sizes and the lower priced hardware makes them competitive. In 24 and 29 it is hard to beat Aerotech in terms of cost and access.

The poll doesn't really work for me because I use a variety of motors depending on what I want.

I don['t really fit into any of the above categories. I have AT 24/40 and 29/40-120 cases I use fairly regularly. I also have a CTI 29 3 grain and 54 3 grain case. If I'm flying MPR it's almost exclusively AT. I have used the 29mm CTI once. If I'm flying HPR it's CTI. I've got two kids that fly too. Right ow they only use the AT cases.

I'm an Aerotech guy but I eagerly await the day that I start using Loki too.

I'm an "other" guy I guess... I probably fly 1/2 Loki and 1/2 Aerotech, well and maybe a Kosdon/AMW in there from time to time.

I really like the white lightening and I can get a lot of discounts for the AT reloads.

Back