Mythbusters... Kari, Tory, and Grant are out :(

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has to be "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"! All the networks have to feed the shareholders. So we are gonna do "MYTHBUSTERS LITE"? I will miss the team.

Hopefully, they start their own show.

That is my thought - it is entirely possible that Disc network is offering them their own series given how popular they've been both on Mythbsters an their hosting of LDRS (Kari) and Punkin Chunkin (Tori). Other speculation I've heard is that Tori and Grant may be heading back to ILM to work on the new Star Wars. Given the lack of animosity and the praise they've gotten, I personally feel that they have something else going on - time will tell.

Given that the show is popular I am sure the two 'stars' (or their agents) demanded more money in the new contract. Means the 'supporting cast' had to go.

Even if they don't have anything else lined up--or perhaps I should say especially if--they are behaving with class. Makes me like them even more.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Given that the show is popular I am sure the two 'stars' (or their agents) demanded more money in the new contract. Means the 'supporting cast' had to go.

I'm sure it had nothing to due to financing the CEO's, CFO's, COO's or Board Chair's Golden Parachute Retirement Fund. Only 'stars' (and their agents) are ever greedy, demanding more money in a contract.

Sorry to see them go...but let's give them credit: 10 years is a wildly successful run for TV! And it's not the first time a show's producers tried to save a show by cutting cast payroll...Anyone remember the last season of 7th Heaven?

And remember that it isn't "just" three people. It's three people that are in *front* of the cameras. Usually, those three did things entirely separated from the other two and sometimes apart from one another. Their termination likely represents the reduction of one or two entire camera and production crews. Altogether, not a small chunk of change. $$$

Also what people forget is that M5 is STILL an active studio. There is a good chance that they are only being cut from onscreen but still with the studio in another role. Also IIRC Scottie Chapman (One of the original 3 before Grant came in,) is still with M5. And while she is no on screen, she has been involved in some builds.

It is the end of an era :( sad to see them go.

Maybe this is an indication that the show itself is starting to wind down? I hope not but it would end eventually.

It has to be "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"! All the networks have to feed the shareholders. So we are gonna do "MYTHBUSTERS LITE"? I will miss the team.
Yeah, I think their ratings are significantly down. Lower ratings = less money from ads. A TV ratings site claims their ratings are way down, but then doesn't provide any easy way to confirm that since their site is very poorly designed.

And remember that it isn't "just" three people. It's three people that are in *front* of the cameras. Usually, those three did things entirely separated from the other two and sometimes apart from one another. Their termination likely represents the reduction of one or two entire camera and production crews. Altogether, not a small chunk of change. $$$

I had the same thought; maybe 10-12 people or more.

I quit watching the year after they were brought in. It was like watching Gleek and the WonderTwins instead of Batman and Superman...

Last edited:
I thought about this some more; it might have been the lawyers and/or the insurance company. After all, it was these three that shot a cannonball into someone's house.

I thought about this some more; it might have been the lawyers and/or the insurance company. After all, it was these three that shot a cannonball into someone's house.

That was in my town. It was awhile back now, so I doubt that had anything to do with it.

That was in my town. It was awhile back now, so I doubt that had anything to do with it.

+1. Although it is possible that insurance costs were becoming a burden. Let's flip the question: why are they continuing with a scaled-down cast and crew? Answer: this isn't a sitcom where a cast change can change the whole character. The shows reruns do well, they have strong merchandising, and it would cost to buy out Jamie and Adam ' contracts so there's still money to be made if you can scale down the enterprise. And frankly I think even Kari, Tory and Grant benefit if the Mythbusters franchise continues...their roles on the show live on in the minds of the public and they have enough celebrity to last a while.

+1. Although it is possible that insurance costs were becoming a burden. Let's flip the question: why are they continuing with a scaled-down cast and crew? Answer: this isn't a sitcom where a cast change can change the whole character. The shows reruns do well, they have strong merchandising, and it would cost to buy out Jamie and Adam ' contracts so there's still money to be made if you can scale down the enterprise. And frankly I think even Kari, Tory and Grant benefit if the Mythbusters franchise continues...their roles on the show live on in the minds of the public and they have enough celebrity to last a while.

Now that you mention this, I wonder if this has anything to do with Adam and Jamie's Behind the Myths tours. Maybe they are incorporating the tour somehow into the shows?

True, but each MB episode takes a lot of work (e.g.; building stuff). Who's going to do it? Will the episodes be shorter?

True, but each MB episode takes a lot of work (e.g.; building stuff). Who's going to do it? Will the episodes be shorter?

My guess is that they will be the same length (either 30 or 60 min.) but will be produced less frequently, or the "season" will contain fewer episodes (say, 13 instead of 26), but that's just a guess.

Back