Skipping my rocketry club meeting again out of guilt.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichhcirm

Reaction score
I have been working my tail off lately at work. I've worked at home because I couldn't spare the time it would take to drive to the office. Then I'd work late into the night. Tonight is my rocket club meeting and I'm staying home...drive time would be nearly an hour and a half round trip, and frankly I feel guilty about ignoring my family lately.

Does that make me feel silly? No. Silly was skipping last weekend's monthly club launch because I needed to find time to fix things around the house.

Does anyone else feel like you're not holding your end up as a member of your club? or guilty that all you want is to indulge in your hobby as a reward for working like a dog?

Do what you can, when you can. Some days you just don't have the time. Some days you do. As long as you're not always skipping setups and tear downs, people get it.

I get to fly maybe 2 or 3 times a year with my club. I miss meetings, flights and parties. That's just the way it is for some of us. Keeping priorities straight is what allows me to go to those 2 or 3 launches a year.

I've been to one club launch this year, that was Red Glare, I got the time but not the money to do so. I hope 2015 will be a better year for rocketry.

I'm going to our sor the first time in about a year. The whole family took off in different directions for the day and left me home alone. Shucks. I guess I'll just ahve to go do something fun...

Our club is like most; the same small group of guys set up, tear down, do the community education events, etc. I try to support as many of these as I can, but sometimes I can't make it and I do feel a little guilty about it.

My advice is do something to help when you do attend a meeting, launch or whatever the event is. The people who only show up to launch and never lift a finger to help are the ones that should feel guilty.

Last edited:
I'm lucky,my wife and grand daughter enjoy the launches as much as I do. It is some of our best family time, if they didn't enjoy it I'd go less often.

I pay to be a member of my club so I attend whenever I feel like it and whenever I can... I'm actually looking to be more active in my club though...

Something I learned from Fritz Perls while in grad school: "Guilt feelings are really repressed anger." Figure out who you're angry at and fix the situation if you can. If the anger is from the past--something that's very likely--act out your aggression in private. Imaginatively relive and reject the imposed obligation.

You will soon receive my counseling bill.:wink:

Something I learned from Fritz Perls while in grad school: "Guilt feelings are really repressed anger." Figure out who you're angry at and fix the situation if you can. If the anger is from the past--something that's very likely--act out your aggression in private. Imaginatively relive and reject the imposed obligation.

You will soon receive my counseling bill.:wink:

Wow...that's probably the most useful advice I've gotten all week! I went to the meeting, enjoyed the company and feel a lot better. And the family is no worse off...in fact I think everyone is better off if I can release some stress once in a while. Now I just gotta launch something...a whiff of black powder should pick me right up .

Cecil, you ought to run a hot line for rocketeers in crisis:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back