What a rocketeer means...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
When he says the word "some".

Oh yeah, I put some thermite in that motor (watches as the igniter doubles the impulse of the motor)...

No, I just spent some money at Wildman's (wife watches as they have to take out a second mortgage)...

I have only spent some time on TRF today (logs off after an 8 hour period)...

But this one takes the cake:

Rwjr said to me "I'll grab you some stuff off of Sather's "Free Table"...

Yeah right... :p

After a 2 month shipping ordeal (due to minor complications with shipping confusing Matt Fletcher and Fletcher industries...) I get this box at my house today... Inside....

Sure. There was some stuff from Sather's table... An Avionics bay and some black elastic shock cord. That is awesome.

What really made me laugh is what else was inside:

1- a 38mm 3 grain case
2- a used 36 inch chute
3- a new 36 inch chute
4- a roll of frog tape.
5- a roll of electrical tape.
6- some new syringes for use in injecting fillets.
7- some 1/2 tubular nylon shock cord
8- some 9/16 tubular nylon shock cord
9- some 1 inch nylon shock cord
10- some foam ear plugs- (for av-bay charge cups)
11- a 9 volt battery holder with soldered wired from Dog house Rocketry.

7-9 is what impressed me... I pulled out 30+ feet of just the 1/2 inch shock cord... Haven't yet pulled out the others...

So yeah... if ever a rocketeer tells you he has some stuff for you... Time to rip out the XXL u-Haul truck... :p

When he says the word "some".

Oh yeah, I put some thermite in that motor (watches as the igniter doubles the impulse of the motor)...

No, I just spent some money at Wildman's (wife watches as they have to take out a second mortgage)...

I have only spent some time on TRF today (logs off after an 8 hour period)...

But this one takes the cake:

Rwjr said to me "I'll grab you some stuff off of Sather's "Free Table"...

Yeah right... :p

After a 2 month shipping ordeal (due to minor complications with shipping confusing Matt Fletcher and Fletcher industries...) I get this box at my house today... Inside....

Sure. There was some stuff from Sather's table... An Avionics bay and some black elastic shock cord. That is awesome.

What really made me laugh is what else was inside:

1- a 38mm 3 grain case
2- a used 36 inch chute
3- a new 36 inch chute
4- a roll of frog tape.
5- a roll of electrical tape.
6- some new syringes for use in injecting fillets.
7- some 1/2 tubular nylon shock cord
8- some 9/16 tubular nylon shock cord
9- some 1 inch nylon shock cord
10- some foam ear plugs- (for av-bay charge cups)
11- a 9 volt battery holder with soldered wired from Dog house Rocketry.

7-9 is what impressed me... I pulled out 30+ feet of just the 1/2 inch shock cord... Haven't yet pulled out the others...

So yeah... if ever a rocketeer tells you he has some stuff for you... Time to rip out the XXL u-Haul truck... :p

Cool:):):):):)

As a rocketeer and in general, heres 3 words I like to use and live by..."Pay It Forward" :cheers:

There is a bit more to this story, I certainly appreciate the kind words from Matt but here is the story.

Our club Woosh had a swap meet going back a few months ago and I usually try to post something in the events section about what we have going on.

I got a e-mail from Matt asking if it was ok if he sent me some things he wanted to donate to our swap meet. I gave him address and quite honestly, I really didn't expect anything. Well low and behold a few days later a package shows up and it is some items from Matt. I was impressed with his gesture. This was a time where I can say I saw Matt truly showing signs of growth. I like others, have had a lack of patience with Matt at times and have let him know it.

Well the day of the Swap meet came and I was busy at the time still doing set-up of the range and really missed most of the freebies and deals. Sather had saved a few items for Matt as he mentioned and I decided I would take a few items I had from my own home stash and "pay it forward". I have had many members in our club "pay it forward" to me and it was nice to be able to now do the same thing.

Then as what happens to all of us at one time or another life really got in my way of rocketry, family illness and other trials and tribulations pulled me away from the hobby I love for 2 months. Instead of hearing someone complain, Matt showed compassion and never pressured me to hurry and get the package in the mail.

For me this was another sign of maturity from Matt and I felt it deserved some recognition. So for me it was easy to find a few more items to add in.

So in actuality it was Matt who IMO looked first to "pay it forward" and then also demonstrated that he paid attention in his Boy Scout meetings and actually used those skills in real life. Well done Matt and you earned every item from my perspective.

and now Matt should have a long enough shock cord to 'Fly the Bong' :).
Rex

There is a bit more to this story, I certainly appreciate the kind words from Matt but here is the story.

Our club Woosh had a swap meet going back a few months ago and I usually try to post something in the events section about what we have going on.

I got a e-mail from Matt asking if it was ok if he sent me some things he wanted to donate to our swap meet. I gave him address and quite honestly, I really didn't expect anything. Well low and behold a few days later a package shows up and it is some items from Matt. I was impressed with his gesture. This was a time where I can say I saw Matt truly showing signs of growth. I like others, have had a lack of patience with Matt at times and have let him know it.

Well the day of the Swap meet came and I was busy at the time still doing set-up of the range and really missed most of the freebies and deals. Sather had saved a few items for Matt as he mentioned and I decided I would take a few items I had from my own home stash and "pay it forward". I have had many members in our club "pay it forward" to me and it was nice to be able to now do the same thing.

Then as what happens to all of us at one time or another life really got in my way of rocketry, family illness and other trials and tribulations pulled me away from the hobby I love for 2 months. Instead of hearing someone complain, Matt showed compassion and never pressured me to hurry and get the package in the mail.

For me this was another sign of maturity from Matt and I felt it deserved some recognition. So for me it was easy to find a few more items to add in.

So in actuality it was Matt who IMO looked first to "pay it forward" and then also demonstrated that he paid attention in his Boy Scout meetings and actually used those skills in real life. Well done Matt and you earned every item from my perspective.

Oh,such a heart warming story,I'm touched.

Yes we have to take care of the kids . Not saying there kids but face it I'm twice his age . I think they as a group have grown and do great thing s

Ok, I really have a bad memory. What was the Boy Scout thing?

For what it's worth, the kid also got a box from the Dog awhile back.
So if anyone has an issue with me saying "Pay It Forward". You have no clue!

I think paying it forward is the foundation of this hobby . I give stuff to different people ,I have gotten stuff from people . From tfish I got a huge stack of extreme rocketry . So if anyone is looking for a article let me know. I may have it and can scan it for you and send you the file

Matt,

Think of the "Scout Law". I can think of at least 3 if not 4 points that you might have touched on.

Not on here but I've given away a couple pro series 2 kits as well as some 29mm motors. Really got some people interested in rocketry.

When a rocketeer says "it was underpowered on XXmm motors" it means "I've now got to make at least four more of it again, this time with YYmm motors, and at least two high power upscales (just to get it right)."

When a rocketeer says "I need to buy decals for my build" it means "Oh H**L, Gord/Mark just cleared out my paycheck again...", 'cause ya know, you can't only just buy one.

Last edited:
What a rocketeer means when he says “Some”

“My last rocket launch had SOME problems”; while referring to a rocket that vaporized shortly after liftoff.

“I had SOME difficulty finding the launch site”; having racked up 500 miles driving to a launch site located in the next county.*

“I had Some trouble with my new paint gun” as his purple and green dog walks by.

*Yes I am aware that this might be possible without actually having gotten lost if you happen to live in certain Southern California counties, San Bernardino and Inyo come to mind readily enough

Whenever I use the word "Some" with my wife, she always rolls her eyes. And it doesn't matter what the "Some" is in reference to. Always the same response.

I would like to acknowledge Robert DeHate for paying it forward to me. At various launches he has 1) soldered a switch for me, 2) let me use his outdoor motor home shower, 3) given me a free igniter when mine burned, and while he was packing up to boot!, and 4) offered free ice cream to my kids (well, that was Gloria). So they have my business for life!

Back