CTI K300 flight at Mudroc2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason328K

Reaction score
I'm a little late in getting this posted, but this was my one and only flight out at Mudroc. I had planned on flying on some smaller motors first, but the first day was extremely windy. My goal for the trip was to fly the K300, so on day two with the winds calm I decided to just go for it. The rocket was my LOC Precision Hyperloc 300 which had four flights on it from last year, including my L2 flight. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the flight. I was expecting around 14k feet with the slim chance of hitting three miles. When I found the rocket I listened to the beeps from the Raven and was quite happy to hear 16,211ft. I think my favorite part of the video is listening to the long burn of the motor. Thanks, Jereon, for a cool product. I have also include a before flight photo with my daughter and a recovery photo.
[YOUTUBE][video=youtube_share;Szn-jsSzLEg]https://youtu.be/Szn-jsSzLEg[/video][/YOUTUBE]

DSC_6011.jpg

DSC_6037.jpg

Good work Jason, love the rocket and love the flight.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Nice flight Jason. Nice camping next to you and your brother (I think it was your brother). We are both from UCLA. Go Bruins! We both launched K300's. Both awesome flights. Glad you got yours back. Hope to see you guys out there again.

Jason the aerospace engineer/ dentist! I remember you from last year. (I set up next to you). Saw your flight this year too. Very nice. It seemed to vanish and your brother told me you didn't have GPS on it. Very bold move to go to 16k feet with no tracking. Glad you got it back. How long did it take you to find it? Hope to see you at XPRS in Sept.
Greg

Great video of a great flight. Gotta love those long burn motors, but it was a K300 that took my 54mm MD "Energizer Bunny" into warp speed and never was seen again. I will have to try again with my new Blackhawk 54....
I'm also interested in how long your recovery was

Sweet flight. I flew my first K300 back in April. Just love that long burn. The way the sound echoes as it gets higher and higher has me wanting to fly one again. I was happy with 12,313 feet on my Competitor 3 kit but you really got some distance at over 3 miles. I'm looking forward to flying one again at MWP.

The bike worked out great. It's amazing how a solid day and a half of riding improved her skills. She also met another girl with a bike who she spent a lot of time with. Hopefully we'll meet up with them next year. Looking forward to trying out some 75mm motors next year. I'm aiming for a minimum diameter rocket using the L1115. Thanks, again for some great motors!
Jason,

You are welcome. Great flight and fun to watch the video and see these motors in action. What a great idea to bring your daughter's bike!

Jeroen

Nice flight Jason. Nice camping next to you and your brother (I think it was your brother). We are both from UCLA. Go Bruins! We both launched K300's. Both awesome flights. Glad you got yours back. Hope to see you guys out there again.

Hey Chris,

It was good camping next to you and meeting you. It was great to see your rocket fly and I was really pulling for you that you would get it back. I still hold out hope that somebody will find it out there and that you will eventually get it back. That Nike of yours was also a lot of fun to watch fly! Hope to see you next year at Mudroc.

Jason

Jason the aerospace engineer/ dentist! I remember you from last year. (I set up next to you). Saw your flight this year too. Very nice. It seemed to vanish and your brother told me you didn't have GPS on it. Very bold move to go to 16k feet with no tracking. Glad you got it back. How long did it take you to find it? Hope to see you at XPRS in Sept.
Greg
Last year I flew the same rocket on a J570 to about 6300ft and was able to visually track it the entire flight. Was also able to track some slightly larger rockets to over 2 miles. My thinking was that if it hit 13-14k ft I might loose sight of it for a little bit, but as long as it didn't go off at a funny angle I should be able to reaquire it. Well, that theory got proven wrong. It just kept going up and once the smoke stopped I never saw it airborne again.

The good news was that it was recovered. My brother brother and I headed off in the direction other rockets seemed to be landing. He had a GPS unit with him so once we got past the flight line our plan was to drive for 1.5-2 miles, turn 90 degrees, drive .5 miles, turn another 90 deg. and keep repeating in a big grid-like pattern, all the while stopping and scanning with my binoculars. Amazingly, as we were completing the first leg my brother said he thought he saw something and as we got closer we could see that it was my rocket. It had a successful recovery 1.8 miles from the launch site. Needless to say, one of my goals for next year it to get a GPS unit.

Unfortunately, won't make it to XPRS. With family commitments, a once a year trip out to Mudroc will be it for a while. See you next year.

Great video of a great flight. Gotta love those long burn motors, but it was a K300 that took my 54mm MD "Energizer Bunny" into warp speed and never was seen again. I will have to try again with my new Blackhawk 54....
I'm also interested in how long your recovery was

So my Raven file says 30 sec to apogee and another 305 sec to landing for a total flight time to 335 sec. It just dawned on me that I was coming down at about 56ft/sec on an 18" drogue. I might use a smaller drogue to keep it in closer next time.

I also have a Blackhawk 54 which I hope to get built for next year. Would love to see it fly on a K300 and an L935. Good luck with yours. Should be a fun rocket.

Hi Jason,

Cute daughter that you have too. I have a daughter about that age. Another cool thing we have in common. What was the weight of your rocket offhand? With or without motor. I am rebuilding for Mudroc one way or another. Will see if I can actually get there.

Congrats on a very nice flight! Did you do anything to modify the kit, or did you manage to send cardboard and plywood to over 3 miles high? :fly:

No, it wasn't stock. I wanted to get some experience fiberglassing so, with the help of Tony Alcocer's excellent video I placed two layers of 5.9oz fiberglass on the body tubes. Also, the plywood fins that came the kit were warped, so, instead of cutting new plywood ones, I figured I get some more experience with fiberglass and cut new ones out of G10 sheet. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's proven to be durable and was much easier to finish - I'm not a big fan of dealing with the grooves in paper tubing.DSC_8142.jpgDSC_7505.jpg

Hi Jason,

Cute daughter that you have too. I have a daughter about that age. Another cool thing we have in common. What was the weight of your rocket offhand? With or without motor. I am rebuilding for Mudroc one way or another. Will see if I can actually get there.
I thought I had the weight written down, but can't find it. I believe the empty weight was around 6 lbs.

Back