Rocket Building Toolbox

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lentamental

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been out of the hobby for a while and living out of crates for the last 4 years (you learn how to move efficiently as a college student). As such, I'm trying to rebuild my rocket building toolbox from pretty much nothing, so I'd love some advice.

What can you absolutely not live without? What toolbox do you use? Mine keeps popping open on me spilling the contents all over the floor. Do you have a favorite style of CA?

Right now I've got the requisite exacto knife, wood glue, some small screw drivers and wire, and that's about it.

Hi everyone,

I've been out of the hobby for a while and living out of crates for the last 4 years (you learn how to move efficiently as a college student). As such, I'm trying to rebuild my rocket building toolbox from pretty much nothing, so I'd love some advice.

What can you absolutely not live without? What toolbox do you use? Mine keeps popping open on me spilling the contents all over the floor. Do you have a favorite style of CA?

Right now I've got the requisite exacto knife, wood glue, some small screw drivers and wire, and that's about it.

My Rolling build box has just about everything one would have on the Home bench. it's gotten a little on the heavy side but generally if I have it with me I can assemble just about any model:)

Rolling Build Box_12-25-05.JPG

Portable building kit-c-sm_2-pic pg_06-98.jpg

Mine has sandpaper, xacto knife, masking tape, xacto knife, masking tape, xacto knife, masking tape... Did I mention the xacto knife and masking tape? :p It also has CA, 5 minute epoxy, and random bits and pieces of other rockets.

Generally I get thin (pink) and medium (green) CA from Hobby Lobby. Lately I have been using Gorilla CA from Lowes, just because Lowes is more convenient. Knife, tape, Sandpaper in grits from 60-320, Titebond II. um...uh... I don't have a box, I bought a folding plastic table, I guess its around 3'x6'... Everything just lives on the table. I have a couple re-purposed cardboard boxes and prescription vials for my stash of small parts (rail buttons, screws, kevlar, nosecones, etc).

Pencil, pencil sharpener, estes tube marking discs, a 2 foot aluminum angle (for when a door jamb isn't available). CA, Titebond (in a syringe), extra CA tips. A cutting mat, sand paper, sticky label paper for laminating balsa, scissors, xacto and blades, etc etc etc

Something I started to use recently are foam sanding blocks. Very handy. They run about $4 each at Home Depot/Lowes for the name brand or about $5 for a brick of them at Harbor Freight. I keep one in the range box and building area. I really like them for sanding CWF off body tube spirals.

Jerome :)

Let's see ...
Ca thin ,med ,thick
Epoxy 5,15min
Laminating resin
Full set of exacto knives extra blades
Gorilla glue (moisture activated )
Gorilla wood glue
Tight bond 2
Elmers wood glue
Tape measure
Diameter tape measure
Masking tape 1/8-1"
Bondo
Wood filler
Bondo rasp
Wood file (4way)
Spreaders
Puddy knives
Razor knives lots of extra blades
Sand paper 60-220 350,600,1000
Hole saws for 24mm-54mm and for airframs 2.25,3.0,4.0,4.25
And know I'm missing stuff .
Squares . Speed ,tee
Rulers 36" 12" both standard and metric

While I can still kind of remember what I threw in my build bin (a Sterilite bin with the locking ears) for NARAM

CA thin, medium, and plasti-zap
Titebond
5-min Z-poxy
Razor saw
Dremel tool with saw, sanding drum, diamond 1/8" cutter, random other ones
Cordless drill, full set of numbered and fractional bits
Masking tape 3/8 and 3/4"
Mylar tape
Fin alignment fixture
CMR tube cutter (angle stock based)
razor blades and X-acto knife assortment
Bag o various grades of sandpaper
Aluminum tee sanding block
Small screwdrivers and hex key set
A couple lengths of 3/8 dowel
Fat tip permanent markers (coloring poly chutes)
Assorted kevlar and dacron line
6 and 12" steel rules
6" digital calipers
random avbay hardware
plastic rivets and shear pins
cardstock
1/32 and 1/64 plywood
toothpicks and wood coffee stirrers
small 0-1000 gram scale (0.1 resolution)
2 pairs scissors, one utility, the other pristine and sharp
a couple of pairs of pliers - cutters and needlenose
cutting mat and Olfa rotary cutter
bulk cleaner bag poly and 1 mil mylar

That's most of it I think.

I forgot all the dremel stuff and rubber bands ( the key to building nose cones from air frames
Then all the big stuff Sanders ,drill press, scroll Saw

Dremel tool, can't live without it. And all the sanding drums & cutting wheels you can get.

Just how crazy do you want to be?

Model Building Tools *required

*Basics
An understanding wife
A place to work
A place to store all of this stuff
Patience

Safety
*Brain
A box fan at the end of the workbench, set on low, with a cheap 20x20 in. furnace filter on the inlet side of the fan.
*Small first aid kit or at least a few Band-aids
Box of nitrile gloves (usually colored blue or purple).
A pack of dust masks.
*At least one pair of eye guards.
A quality respirator.

Cutting tools
*More than one X-Acto #1 knife with a sharp blade
*A spare pack (or two) of #11 blades.
#2 X-acto knife (like the #1, but bigger and with a thicker handle) and a pack of #24 blades (Like the #11 blades, but larger and stronger).
Single-edge razor blades.
*Strop and honing stone for knives.
X-acto #5 or #6 handle with razor saw.
X-acto miter box.
Scissors, good ones for paper and cardstock.
Scalpels for really intricate work.
Band saw
Dremel

Work surface
*A set of disposable kitchen cutting mats.
A self-healing cutting mat.
*Wax paper.
*Parchment paper, not even CA sticks to it.
*Paper towels.

Measuring / drawing
*A 12" steel ruler, cork backed, inch & mm markings, for measuring and making straight cuts.
Another lighter duty steel ruler.
Architectural and Engineering rules.
Triangle squareMini-square
Protractor
Compasses
*Various tip pencils and pens.
Machinist blocks. Two inch square is good, and three is better.
*Aluminum and brass angles of various sizes (for drawing fin and launch lug lines).

Adhesives
Thin, medium and thick CA glue. Accelerator and debonder.
*Small bottles of yellow glue.
A large bottle of yellow glue (to refill the small bottles).
3M adhesive spray , for paper laminating balsa sheet
Ambroid pro weld- for plastic joining.
Various epoxies.
Contact cement.
A box of popsicle sticks, wooden cuticle sticks, bamboo skewers and a box of flat and round toothpicks, indispensable for applying glue.

Finishing
A "T-Bar" or other sanding block.
*An assortment of sanding papers, with extra 220-grit.
A pack of sanding twigs
*3-M sanding sponges, various grits.
Nail sanding sticks, various grits.
*Fill and Finish, Carpenter’s Wood Filler, Bondo Spot Putty.
*Old credit cards.
*Tack rags.
3 oz paper bathroom cups to mix Fill and Finish and epoxy
Orbital palm sander for smoothing balsa sheets and sizing fin stacks
A bench top disk/belt sander.

Painting
Assorted artists brushes.
Craft level brushes, many uses, also essential for lifting , turning, unfolding and pushing decals into position.
A good air compressor, 5-6 HP, with a good regulator.
Several inexpensive airbrushes for colors, and at least one or two larger detail guns for spraying primer and base whites. Don't use any gun with multiple types of paint; only use one type of paint with any one gun or airbrush to avoid gumming internally.
Two or three dozen fresh 1 oz jars to fit the airbrushes, and several jar adapters...
Paint thinners by the gallon. It's much cheaper...
Plastic squeeze bottles, premix Fill n Finish and always have a bottle ready.
Lazy susan for painting
Decal film, decal solvent, and decal set .
Glad press n seal, great for masking for painting. It really sticks but is not sticky so no taping off necessary. It can even be used as a mask when rubbed down and trimmed. Use it to seal bottles of paint, glue, epoxy cans ..etc (also reusable).

Designing
A computer with a good graphics program (Corel Draw, Photoshop, The GIMP) to create patterns.
#110 cardstock, to create templates and patterns made with your computer.
A decent color printer.
A notebook to sketch ideas.
EMRR
RockSim

Misc
A scrap bin, to catch bits and pieces of discarded balsa and tubing.
*Trash can.
An office "cubbyhole" shelf unit for holding your cardstock, decal sheets, etc.
Hobby mini vise
At least one dowel of every diameter that you can find.
*Spent black powder engine casings - at least a half dozen of each diameter and each length.
A quart of acetone for cleaning up CA and a bottle or three of 91% isopropyl alcohol - dissolves and helps clean up uncured epoxy.
*Estes marking guide and fin marking guide.
Swingarm lamp, preferably with magnifier.
Building cradles - a few different sizes.
Plastic totes- shoebox size , for keeping all those unfinished projects in.
Numerous holding stands; wooden base with a dowel and an expended motor casing on one end, or some empty CD/DVD spindles.
A roll of DR. SHRINK heat shrink tape is great for making nose cones fit tighter.
T-Pins.
*Wooden clothespin clamps. Some with the wood pieces turned upside down.
Rubber band clamps.
Small one-hand "pressure/tension" bar clamps.
Lots of rubber bands and/or cheap plastic spring clamps.
Hemostats
*1/4,1/2, 3/4 widths of masking tape.
Electrical tape
Scotch tape
Packing tape
Fin guide fixtures.

Multiple boxes for LPR, HPR, recovery, avionics, efc.

Last edited:
Mind you... As a lot of people will tell you here... Wives are optional equipment, and NOT required. :wink:

spin_prod_951618312

https://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3-drawer-plastic-metal-portable-chest-red-black/p-00965628000P

Hi everyone,

I would only buy tools as they become neccessary...

Everyone here does not have the same building styles or techniques...

My tool box is made of cardboard...

If you are kit building, look at the required materials/tools and start there...

I can't tell one CA brand from the next and only use thin and medium...

Back