Bull Pup color scheme

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morlock

Reaction score
I will be painting my Estes Bull Pup soon and I was looking for alternate paint schemes but pretty much 99% are painted all white. I found two exceptions: one with the very tip and part of the tail cone red and another one which is a modification without the canards and has the whole nose cone painted red. Here is a photo:

The-Fifth-Element-5th-Mangalore-Missile-1.jpg

You may recognize this little guy. It is the rocket used by the Mangalore warriors in one of my favourite movies: The Fifth Element. Here are some more pictures of it in action.

Painting the rocket all white seems like the best way to loose it while tracking it, as I have learned from painting a Quest Novia White with some blue. So, I want to go different.

Is there any other color scheme that has been used on the actual missile, for example while in its test phase? I searched online but could not find anything but white versions.

If you know of another paint scheme for the real thing or for a model, I'd like to see it. :)

I love it! My first kit was a Bull Pup, only recently lost. Then, I modified one to shove a D12 in the tailpipe (flies like a dream), and I recently completed one, super nice with the standard paint/decal scheme. Wish I had waited to see this thread! I never knew about the Fifth Element connection... Maybe I'll have to repaint.
Very cool, thanks for the thread...
Oh, as far as alternate paint schemes, I painted the body of the modified (D12 Bull Pup) all Black and the fins in a metallic silver. a little tricky on masking the canards, but I thought it looked pretty sweet. They didn't glitter in the sunlight as much as I had hoped, but it did help me watch it all the way up and back down.

Well, Bond's Z8 BMW sports car in the film "The World is Not Enough" (with the gorgeous Sophie Marceau) was equipped with a pair of "flip out" Bullpups launched off side rails... they even had flip-out fins for storage in the car... here's some photos...
BullpupTWINE.JPGBullpupTWINE2.JPGBullpupTWINE3.JPG

I thought that they used Bullpups to outfit Chuck Norris's motorcycle with missiles in "The Delta Force" movie, but when I looked it up, they're actually Estes Honest Johns... you can tell by the distinctive nosecone shape... Still, a motorcycle launched HoJo is STILL cool, but he's not the 15 feet minimum safe launch distance away as required by the safety code... course, Chuck Norris is exempt from the safety code... if there was a problem with the rocket, he could just get out of it with a roundhouse kick, because Chuck Norris can do ANYTHING... LOL:) Here's some pics of his ride and missiles...
HoJoDeltaForce.JPGHoJoDeltaForce2.JPG
good luck! OL JR :)

Since Estes Bull pup isn't even close to being a Scale model you can paint the thing any color you want.
I've seem them in all red, Yellow and black, and even Pink. Personally I'd do it all white as the Real missile is or maybe Blue/white for inert rounds. See Scale data page below:)

Do you know the Bull pup actually as two nozzles and their tail shroud IS NOT A Cone?

BullPup-AGM-12a-d_Data&pic Pg_79.jpg

MM 276b-sm_Bullpups 2pic side-by-side_06-05-06.jpg

Last edited:
I am so stealing that mangalore warrior paint scheme... I have 3 of these kits that I've never built. (2 were gifts, the 3rd I won in a raffle.) I'm just not that into the scale missile thing, but this I might do.

I love it! My first kit was a Bull Pup, only recently lost. Then, I modified one to shove a D12 in the tailpipe (flies like a dream), and I recently completed one, super nice with the standard paint/decal scheme. Wish I had waited to see this thread! I never knew about the Fifth Element connection... Maybe I'll have to repaint.
Very cool, thanks for the thread...
Oh, as far as alternate paint schemes, I painted the body of the modified (D12 Bull Pup) all Black and the fins in a metallic silver. a little tricky on masking the canards, but I thought it looked pretty sweet. They didn't glitter in the sunlight as much as I had hoped, but it did help me watch it all the way up and back down.
Interesting idea, the black and silver on a 24mm version! I'm throwing around a few ideas for my first kitmod to stretch the body tube a bit to make a 24mm version with a bit less static nose weight, and already getting paint job ideas. :p Thinking black gloss and scanning/reprinting the decals in white, possibly a tiny white tip on the nose cone and maybe fins. That black will help me see her on a roughly 1200ft apogee on a D12!!! What do you think?

Went with my own paint idea.Used a small pill bottle for the red tip on the nose cone.Painted the boat tail red also.Estes BullPup 001.jpgEstes BullPup 002.jpg

@cjp Great looking rocket!! What paint did you use for the red?

Thank you for the kind words,I used Rustolium Apple red.

Here is the color scheme I finally used:

IMG_20141004_185112.jpg

In the end, I was too lazy to add the tail cone red. There are just not that many good painting days here and I had other projects to move forward.

I'm pretty pleased by the look! Plus, it's close to the one in The Fifth Element :)

Last edited:
Back