HVLP gravity spray gun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I use the same gun for painting all of my hp rockets. It works awesome. I use duplicolor automotive paints that can be bought off amazon.com or almost any paint shop. They are 20$ for 1 quart which is much cheaper in the Long run when compared to spray cans. I highly record it:)

I've got the exact same gun that I use for painting trailers and farm machinery-- works great... the HVLP produces a LOT less overspray than the older type non-HLVP guns...

I highly recommend you get the Harbor Freight air filter/dryer and pressure regulator all-in-one that they sell for around $20 bucks, too... you want to regulate your air pressure as close to the gun as you can (typically install the regulator and filter/drier inline with you last leadout hose-- you don't want the weight or cumbersomeness of it on the gun, but you don't want to run 50 feet of air hose downstream of it, either-- the longer the hose, the more pressure drop. I dial in about 25-30 pounds of air pressure for most painting jobs. The gun itself has an air VOLUME control dial that you can set-- the more you open it up, the wider the pattern (the wider the pattern, the smaller the atomized paint droplets, but the more overspray you get too). Then you adjust another knob on back to control how far the liquid paint needle valve opens when you hit the trigger, and control the volume of paint coming out the needle into the airstream and getting atomized. Play around a bit with the controls and you'll soon have it dialed in exactly how you like it. The more you open the needle, the more quickly paint comes out, but you have to be careful you don't overapply and get runs, sags, and drips... I dial the volume back since I like to spray with a 50% overlap between passes, and farm equipment has a lot of "nooks and crannies" that require multiple strokes from different directions get get full coverage of, which means you're putting a lot of paint on from different directions. You can up the volume and cover a lot of "flat ground" a lot faster when painting cars and rockets, though (well, except the fin can, which has more "nooks and crannies"... Experiment a bit, set it how you like, and run with it...

I also highly recommend the little $1.99 air filter cans they show in the sidebar beside that listing you linked to... those will catch any remaining water that might condense out in your air line or hose and which, if blown onto the paint job, can cause a major screw-up that you'll have to go back and fix later... they're cheap insurance... There's always SOME water condensing out in air hoses and stuff, especially bad with high airflow tools, which a paint gun is. Screw the filter directly onto the base of the gun, and attach the air hose to it. For this gun, I highly recommend their little "stand" to hold it... unlike my old siphon-feed gun, these don't stand up on their own for refills and laying them down while repositioning the work or getting more supplies can make a BAD spill if the cup lid leaks around the breather/air inlet... (which they do, obviously).

Be sure you've got a bucket and some mineral spirits (or whatever thinner/reducer your paint calls for) to clean up afterwards. I usually wash the gun off and out, run some through the gun until it runs clear, take the cap off and wash it thoroughly with solvent using a toothbrush, submerge the needle and gun in the bucket with solvent and make sure it gets through/into everything, after unscrewing the cup from the top, and then wash the cup thoroughly in the solvent when I'm done, dry everything off with a clean rag, and put the gun back in the box to store it. It's usually best to store your gun on its side, so that if anything DOES remain in the gun and doesn't get cleaned out, it won't settle down against the needles or valves or anything and dry there and block the passages...

Works great and well worth the money... For smaller projects, their detail gun is probably more than adequate...

Good luck! OL JR :)

I've gone through 3 Harbor Freight HVLP guns. Their patterns aren't that great and one of them was impossible to disassemble for cleaning. The paint job is head and shoulders better than rattle can, but the HF guns were high in the aggravation factor.

Hence my advice is to spend a bit more money on a DeVilbiss or something. It ends up being the same $ spent overall and it works right from the beginning.

All the best, James

I use this one as well - great value and easy to use. As said before, just make sure to get your pressure right and use a moisture filter. I use a cheap, disposable in-line filter (https://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html) and mount it right at the base of the gun. It doesn't weigh anything. I change it out after a few projects. My Autozone also has a two pack for $5 if the HF filters aren't on sale.

Kobalt makes a small touch up gun that sprays decent and is fairly cheap, as far as the paint instead of buying quarts of duplicolor that's not that great, a paint store that sells automotive paint can usually mix amounts down to 4 to 5 ounces

20$ a quart, dabbit I am paying around 50 from NAPA, and that does not include reducer or catalyst. Bit I am using automotive metallics. Does Amazon hit you with massive shipping??

20$ a quart, dabbit I am paying around 50 from NAPA, and that does not include reducer or catalyst. Bit I am using automotive metallics. Does Amazon hit you with massive shipping??

Nope if you have amazon prime you get free 2 day shipping.

Back