Estes Aim-9 Sidewinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Came in the mail today.
Got it unpacked and a pic posted.
I used to have one,but sh1t happens when ya move many times.
Thats all for tonight.
P.S. I'm thinking going 24mm, Rocket Reviews says it flys good on D12-3. Any input?
P.S.Thanks LW Bercini

Sidewinder.jpg

Last edited:
You should check the stability of that rocket after you add that extra weight in the tail. I had to add a bunch of nose weight to make mine fly straight with C6's

Mike

It would require a slight deviation from the kit, but if you build the fore fins so they are free to pivot it would apparently help with stability significantly. I haven't tried it, but there have been a few nice threads on the topic recently.

I always say built it 24mm, there are just so many cool motors that size. Think of an F12 in that thing. Even with a slug of depleted uranium in the nose to keep it stable it would be a beautiful flight.

In any event, build it. To keep rockets as collectable in the box is just punishing the rocket...they must fly.

Mine is built for 24mm motors and it flies great on a D12-5.

John

DIE-CUT FINS!

Oh-well,I can remember when all ya got was a template and a blank sheet of balsa.
Heck,I think some of Fliskits still do it that way.
All the other parts/tubes are in great shape.
This kit org came from K-Mart, something like $7.98.
LW Bercini is the man that hooked me up with the kit.

sidewinder 002.jpg

sidewinder 003.jpg

sidewinder 004.jpg

sidewinder 005.jpg

sidewinder 006.jpg

I remember building mine and yes I used a 24mm motor mount with additional weight in the nose.

The fins in my kit were in really bad shape, which is why I got it cheap, and I wound up using Bass Wood instead of balsa.

When I first looked over the parts I noticed that the fin slots in the body tube weren’t perpendicular to the line of flight and I began to wonder if I was going to have to slot my own body tube.

There is but one mention of the fact that those slots are supposed to be canted and it is lost amongst the many notes, diagrams etc found on the instructions. Personally I would have noted that item in BIG BOLD LETTERS on the first page and possibly on every following page thereafter.

In my experience this rocket doesn’t particularly like high thrust motors. I tried an E 20-W and it didn’t so much spin but shake, rattled and rolled all over as it soared into the heavens. An E 9 was a much better choice and I look forward to trying an E 12.

Excelsior sells a set of waterslide decals for this kit and are well worth the investment.

Out of all the rockets I've built that side winder had to be one of the coolest of them all. I had two flights on the 24/40 case before it kicked the motor. This is whats so cool about it. It cork screws when it flies. I wish I could find one. So I could build it with a 29mm mount and fly it on the G-25. Have fun Scotty.

It's interesting that they chose to have the Grain of the Wood go across the Leading Edge of the Fin.
That explains a Picture I saw in a different Estes Sidewinder Thread here. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...t-Estes-Sidewinder&highlight=Estes+Sidewinder

Not sure what your concern is. :confused: The grain direction is fine. You just don't want to have un-reinforced balsa grain going parallel to the tube. This cross direction can vary, usually based on the width of the balsa sheet.

-------

I really want to add this kit to my built collection. Everytime I see one on ebay, it goes a little higher than I want to pay. :mad:

Jerome :)

I built mine stock, but I wish I had the foresight to use 24mm. It's a cool rocket, low and slow flight. It's just on the knife edge of stability. One flight will be nice and slow and straight. The next might corkscrew, turn or waggle for the last quarter of ascent. I guess maybe there's a slight wind aloft that puts it over the edge or something.

OK,I got some done. Tubes and Fins FnF and sanded. Cut about 1/8 off main fins cuz I went with 24mm MMT. Also I'm going with friction fit. Not big into hooks hanging out the rear. I know its easier to change out motors,but it aint like I need to be speed loading motors either.Got one fin glued in.Kind of a PITA to use me eye alinement guide with them fins not running parallel with the body tube.

sidewinder 007.jpg

sidewinder 009.jpg

sidewinder 008.jpg

I built mine stock 13 years ago, and it flew great to about 900 feet on an AT D13 last weekend. 24mm should give a lot of cool options.

Rolling along..

I did REMEMBER not to glue the NC.
I may need to add some weight.
Anywhoo...Pics are worth a 1000 words.
I think the shorty look is cool.

sidewinder 010.jpg

sidewinder 011.jpg

sidewinder 012.jpg

Very nice build Scotty.
Thanks. Was hoping to prime it today,however the weather says "NOT". Raining here in N.H.

Can an old dog learn new tricks or not?
Depends what you have in mind. If you picked up on the fact that I FnF the whole BT now,yes,I did learn that new trick from you. Its kinda an old trick now. It does make for a better looking bird. I have no issues giving credit where credit is due. Never have for that matter.

Last edited:
Working the Laser-x and Sidewinder this morning.

Used a 5055 CR and attached the kev to that.
Tacked it on to the coupler then glued it in the BT.
I have some sanding and filling to do still and the body wraps and the fin strips.
After this post I'm having some lunch and headed outside.
Ill get back at it later.

OK, I'm back. Had me lunch and went outside. Put the new mud guards on me truck.
So, I put two of the wraps on. Not impressed at all. The wraps wrinkeld. I think they are a little to thick.
Anywhoo- I had enough of the sanding and put the primer to it.
Now I can sand some more and SEE the holidays.
NC needs sanding,the bottom wrap and the lugs need to be put on.
Funny thing,the primer flashed off. Never had that happen.

LX and SW 001.jpg

LX and SW 002.jpg

LX and SW 003.jpg

LX and SW 007.jpg

Last edited:
Took a big step today.
Applied some pigment to the SW.
ACE Instant dry laquer gloss white over gray primer.
Followed rite behind with 2 coats of Minwax clear laquer.
It was a little wet after the clear coats and it "Thinned out" the pigment in some areas/edges.... Sooooo, if you look close,in spots, you can see the color of its underwear. pigment dispersion

Sure is smooth feeling.....even with the bug or two that took one for the team.
Burried them on the spot :wink:
Anywhoo--heres some pics.
I noticed that the box cover rocket and the one in the instructions are a tad different.
ya,know what I mean?????

Sidewinder pigment 001.jpg

Sidewinder pigment 002.jpg

Sidewinder pigment 003.jpg

Sidewinder pigment 004.jpg

Sidewinder pigment 005.jpg

Sidewinder pigment 007.jpg

Sidewinder pigment 006.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking rocket!

It is starting to finally cool off out here. I think I'll be able to get some building done on the parts you sent me! :)

Jerome

Sweet looking rocket!

It is starting to finally cool off out here. I think I'll be able to get some building done on the parts you sent me! :)

Jerome
Thanks...Ya,Ive been waiting to see your build thread.

Cool! Just like mine. That's the back of the box.
If you don't mend, PM with what it set you back.
I forget what I paid, I'll have to look back in my E-bay history.
It was a fair trade item. LW Bercinni let on that he had a SW. After a PM or two, he boxed it up and sent it to me. In return ,I searched the web high and low for that perfect token of appreciation, and then I found it...I sent him a rocket.. :lol:

I still look for them, and have thrown a bid or two out on Ebay.

Last edited:
@ Scotty dog i am in the process of recreating this model do you still have the nose cone set form the one you had before this build? also i need a few measurements like the distance from the body tube end to bottom of main fins and a similar measurement for the upper fin assemble also the upper body tube length for the nose cone fin section

i have the tubes added to my cart on apogee and i have the fin templets and instructions i built this kit in 1999 i belive but never flew great i want to do a 24mm this time i suppose i can build a nose cone on my lathe i want to try and find the one estes used though

i want to try and find the one estes used though
I built a clone using the reproduction resin nose cone and coupler from Sirius Rocketry's Moldin' Oldies' section:
Moldin' Oldies PNC-55/72683 [SRMO-PNC55/72683] - $10.95 : Sirius Rocketry Online Store, For the Serious Rocketeer!
Plans, templates and decals are at YORP:
est2125.pdf (rocketshoppe.com)
Tube sizes and lengths can be found from John Brohm's Estes body tube reference list:
Estes Body Tube/Kit Reference (rocketshoppe.com)
Have fun!

Back