Rocket City Rednecks...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysmith

Reaction score
So... for those of you who have seen the show Rocket City Rednecks, you know they do some crazy things with rockets. I know it's a T.V show and they are engineers, but how is it legal to do something like building a 800 lb. rocket and setting it off in the middle of a friends cotton field. From what I see on the show, they have an awfully hard time getting these things to work properly. Sorry for the rant, but they really do some stupid stuff with these things. (sorry for the rant):bangpan::bangpan:

Yeah, we went off on them last year. Search here and I think you'll find a thread or two... I think shreadvector is their biggest not fan.
They're idiots IMHO.

Adrian

Last edited:
Yeah, we went off on them last year. Search here and I think you'll find a thread or two... I think shreadvector is there biggest not fan.
They're idiots IMHO.

Adrian

They are idiots... It amuses me watching what they play our hobby to be like.

They aren't true rednecks and I'm sure as a reality show they have all the legal stuff handled.... Honestly they are getting money if I was paid to do that I too would do it...

They aren't true rednecks and I'm sure as a reality show they have all the legal stuff handled.... Honestly they are getting money if I was paid to do that I too would do it...

Yeah, I know what you mean, but still... Oh well. Since ya can't change it, roll with it. Safety Third!!! Not!!!

Adrian

Yeah, I know what you mean, but still... Oh well. Since ya can't change it, roll with it. Safety Third!!! Not!!!

Adrian

Yeah... Maybe PML helps them out I know they do special effects and what not for filming...

Yeah, this ground has been covered before... gets a lot of people's blood pressure up, including mine, and other folks like George Gassaway immediately springs to mind...

Those guys are total idiots and "media attention-wh0res"... They're willing to make all of rocketry look like a bunch of idiot careless bombtossers for their 15 minutes of fame... Lowest of the low if you ask me. Of course, these idiots couldn't get their 15 minutes of fame if there weren't gobs of low-talent Hollywood types looking for ANYTHING to splash on TV capable of being spun at an angle stupid enough or weird enough to draw some attention (like a car crash, basically) just to grab some ratings and make some quick dough on advertising... scum begets scum IMHO... they're co-dependent. They don't care how badly they represent the rocketry hobby, so long as they can splash some "sensational garbage" on the telly and make a few quick bucks before people tire of it and move on, by which point they're looking for the next 'angle' to exploit... These bottom feeders seek out the most idiotic or desperate-for-attention types and feed their ego with 15 minutes of fame, in order to film a lot of stupidity for a quick buck. We have some of my wife's family up in southern Indiana who live on "Porter Ridge Road" where the flash-in-the-pan series "Porter Ridge" was filmed... they rounded up the village idiots and attention-wh00res and put them in front of the camera to do various @$$-grabbery and @$$-clown stunts... Once they 'pump the well dry' they move on. I guess they just weren't "redneck" enough for them, because "Porter Ridge" is gone, and now I see some new crapola series coming out with a couple yahoos turning an outhouse into a rowboat or something equally stupid... Geez... there's no end to it...

In the same way, the Discovery Channel coverage of LDRS wasn't "exciting" enough on its own, so after the first few times, they started "spicing it up" with a lot of stupid stuff... What's most aggravating of all is when people IN CHARGE, *WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER*, go along with whatever @$$-grabbery they suggest next, instead of pulling the plug on it. That's how you go from flying outhouses to basically any kind of oddroc that can possibly pinwheel to destruction being acceptable, culminating in some idiots thinking somehow flying a snowmobile is okay... Geez...

In the same way, as soon as ANY of these @$$clowns get ANY measure of attention or "success" (ratings), someone pops up to clone it and "capitalize on the popularity" of it... hence we get "Master Blasters" and other such stuff, with each idiotic Hollywood type finding some @$$clown willing to "go further" than the last ones, culminating in pure garbage like "Rocket City Rednecks"...

Oh well... least common denominator... seems like that's all this country is capable of anymore... Too bad...

Later! OL JR :)

They aren't true rednecks and I'm sure as a reality show they have all the legal stuff handled....

Don't be too sure. A lot of reality -teevee producer idiots think they. can get away with anything, no matter how stupid, because They're Making A Teevee Show!!!!

Problem is, at some point, somebody, probably an innocent bystander, will get killed by their idiocy, there will be huge public outrage and demands for new rules and regulations to crack down on non-military rocketry.

And that's why those of us with brains involved in the sport/hobby need to stomp down on these MFing fools whenever and however we can.

Don't be too sure. A lot of reality -teevee producer idiots think they. can get away with anything, no matter how stupid, because They're Making A Teevee Show!!!!

Problem is, at some point, somebody, probably an innocent bystander, will get killed by their idiocy, there will be huge public outrage and demands for new rules and regulations to crack down on non-military rocketry.

And that's why those of us with brains involved in the sport/hobby need to stomp down on these MFing fools whenever and however we can.

I see what you're saying but all the rednecks I know are pretty smart... I will be pretty mad if they become the reason for more regulations but nothing I can do about it I'm too busy to worry.... Maybe their studio is in the desert with a fake cotton field?

I see what you're saying but all the rednecks I know are pretty smart... I will be pretty mad if they become the reason for more regulations but nothing I can do about it I'm too busy to worry.... Maybe their studio is in the desert with a fake cotton field?

Right next to the fake moon landing set?? LOL:)

No, it's more like Jstarstar said... they think they can get away with ANYTHING because "they're making and epic teevee show..." Morons...

I agree with Jstarstar... we need to distance ourselves from these @$$clowns as much as possible and do NOTHING to support them...

Someone posted on YORF some letter they got from some twit Hollyweird type garbage producer sent to their rocket club looking for someone to be their "rocket expert" @$$clown for some new POS show...

Complete morons...

Later! OL JR :)

PS... it'd be nice if the national orgs actually enforced their own rules and kicked anybody stupid enough to flout all the safety codes, rules, and regulations completely out of the organization on their ear... after all, if *you or I* did HALF the ILLEGAL and UNSAFE crap they do on our own *in isolation* (or with a small group) and they caught wind of it, we'd find ourselves in hot water... why should these @$$clowns be any different "just because they're on teevee"?? Rocketry is built upon the premise of our organizations being "self-governing" and "self-enforcement" to comply with the regulations agreed to with FAA, BATFE, NFPA, USDOT, etc... if we cannot even enforce our own regulations that we agreed to with these agencies, then someone else is going to enforce them for us... usually some jackbooted regulator with a gubmint badge... and we don't need more of THAT!

Last edited:
Here is my two cents worth, on the problems that the show caused for me.
1. At the fire station, a couple of the Chiefs began quizing me me about my rocketry hobby and the dangers of launching rockets. They had watched the show, but never had they attended any of my launches, even tho they had been invited. They couldn't believe that a Fire Captain would do such dangerous things. Well, it took me a few minutes to print out the NAR Safety Codes and show them. I also, showed them the NAR insurance page printout. I told them that the show violated all the Safety Rules and that I follow all these rules, including fire protection, motor size restrictions, field sizing and that I will only fly my rockets when weather and fire standards allow. They said, OK, and that was it. They still have not attended any of my launches.

2. My former boss and landowner, where I launch, ask about the show and I said it violated all the safety rules and you will not see me doing any of that. And, it is hard enough for us (rocket types) to find good fields to launch from and I will not anything to loose your fields.

I hope that this stupid shows can be removed from the air or reformed to comply with all the safety codes.

Moonshine hybrid , tested a motor with a fuse . Set a charge off putting in the av bay . Wow all I can say

Moonshine hybrid , tested a motor with a fuse . Set a charge off putting in the av bay . Wow all I can say

Exactly, never mind the fact that they didn't even bother fixing the problem with the charge...

As bad as that was, the episode that bothered me most, was when the launched an 800lb rocket made out of PVC and a chemical container is stupidly launched. They weren't being careful at all about what they were doing.

The build details:
[video=youtube;tRYEYHZkY4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYEYHZkY4U[/video]

The Moonshine Rocket:
[video=youtube;QGsHBZtzx3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsHBZtzx3g[/video]

I had never seen the show until it showed up on Netflix. They acted like alcohol had never been used as a fuel. LOL. Seemed to me that the V2 used alcohol as a fuel. I don't really think they can be this stupid. Another thing, at a glance it looked like the altimeter used may have been an RRC2. I didn't know you had to solder the charges to it. Then they blew a what looked like the main charge hooking up the battery? Really, and then said it would be ok. I guess it is supposed to be entertainment but it does put a bad light on our hobby. I guess the Discovery Chanel's coverage's of LDRS were not all that bad after all.

I do wonder if maybe they really do legitimate hpr and got suckered into the show... I still think they operate within the law and probably have everything they need in case of emergencies... Unless someone is there and part of it we really can't say...

Exactly, never mind the fact that they didn't even bother fixing the problem with the charge...

As bad as that was, the episode that bothered me most, was when the launched an 800lb rocket made out of PVC and a chemical container is stupidly launched. They weren't being careful at all about what they were doing.

The build details:
[video=youtube;tRYEYHZkY4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYEYHZkY4U[/video]

The Moonshine Rocket:
[video=youtube;QGsHBZtzx3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsHBZtzx3g[/video]

This was the worst one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...fatal-accident&highlight=rocket+city+rednecks I did not look to long but can't find a video of it.

A now defunct cable show was filming some segments in Massachusetts a few years ago and contacted our club to look at filming at one of our launches. We never struck a deal with them so I can't say how far they would have pushed us but we wouldn't have done anything to violate the NAR code. Ultimately, they did find some place to film some model and high-power rockets and it seemed to be pretty well within the rules. What they really wanted to show was a recreation of a V-2 falling over on the pad and bursting into flames. It is said they had a full scale model that was completely hollow and would be filled with gasoline. I'm sure it was spectacular but I'm glad we weren't involved.

It took us how long to get APCP removed from the explosive list? And there are @$$clowns from @$$land doing this crap, and on teevee, this is exactly what we don't need. If any @$$clowns calls you to do a show just say no and shun the ones that do the show for the @$$clowns, or better yet revoke their membership from the hobby

It took us how long to get APCP removed from the explosive list? And there are @$$clowns from @$$land doing this crap, and on teevee, this is exactly what we don't need. If any @$$clowns calls you to do a show just say no and shun the ones that do the show for the @$$clowns, or better yet revoke their membership from the hobby

Exactly! OL JR

In case you hadn't noticed, you hit a nerve.

RCR was shamefully bad to most of us here on TRF and in the rocketry hobby. It was perfect for the kind of trash that Hollyweird loves to put out these days.

Regardless of what they do, I couldn't watch anything self-described as 'redneck'.....

In case you hadn't noticed, you hit a nerve.

RCR was shamefully bad to most of us here on TRF and in the rocketry hobby. It was perfect for the kind of trash that Hollyweird loves to put out these days.

I sensed that I hit a soft spot. Never bothered to search, didn't think it was such a big problem.

Maybe I didn't watch the whole thing or something - but I never saw anything to indicate that the 'moonshine' in their rocket was anything more than a payload.

Normaly im not in complete agreement with the Strawwalker, this time however he hit the nail on the head 100%. This is a joke and very bad programming, perfect example of the degradation of mental and moral ability of the world! Best thing to do is not suport it, NAR & TRP sould publicly denounce this and motor manufacturers refuse to supply.

TA

Maybe I didn't watch the whole thing or something - but I never saw anything to indicate that the 'moonshine' in their rocket was anything more than a payload.
They made the motor run on Moonshine. It was a moonshine rocket engine.

First class idiots in my opinion. And pretty crappy altitude for all of the "fuel" they seemed to put into it. I bet that moonshine was just water. And I also bet that ejection charge going off "accidentally" was actually staged for dramatic purposes.

Normaly im not in complete agreement with the Strawwalker, this time however he hit the nail on the head 100%. This is a joke and very bad programming, perfect example of the degradation of mental and moral ability of the world! Best thing to do is not suport it, NAR & TRP sould publicly denounce this and motor manufacturers refuse to supply.

TA

+1 to that.

Back