Liquid electrical tape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a jar of something similar in my service truck. Worked OK, but you had to let it dry, and I don't usually have that sort of time when you bill customers by the hour (well, minute, really).

Adrian

I have something similar i Use to waterproof outdoor splices. ie., invisible fence splices

I use it all the time instead of electrical tape in rc & train decoders as well as layout wiring, and now maybe in av bays.

I glob it on the solder joints of switches to keep them from accidently shorting.

I glob it on the solder joints of switches to keep them from accidently shorting.

That's my favorite rocketry use for liquid electrical tape. After I solder wires to my dual deployment switches, I put on a coat of this to make sure there's almost no way any wires could short and cause a recovery failure. I agree with GDJ that I'm not sure it has great adhesive properties. I'd never use it to hold a connection that isn't soldered or in any situation where the adhesive properties of electrical tape would be needed.

I use heat shrink tubing on solder joints, that or hot melt glue. I would like to know what brand of electrical tape has really good adhesive properties, the last 2 rolls I bought are good for crap.

I use heat shrink tubing on solder joints, that or hot melt glue. I would like to know what brand of electrical tape has really good adhesive properties, the last 2 rolls I bought are good for crap.

3M 33+ is the best black electrical tape. Period.

Adrian

3M 33+ is the best black electrical tape. Period.

Adrian
Ditto.

EDIT: For a much more expensive option where the much greater thickness of the tape isn't an issue, the self-bonding ("self-fusing," "self-amalgamating, etc.) silicone rubber tape is fantastic. Many different brands, colors, and sources. The ones listed below aren't necessarily the best sources, but I list them as examples:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=COjzm_rZqcACFUNgMgodmHAAtA

https://www.harborfreight.com/house...in-x-10-ft-self-bonding-super-tape-68401.html

Last edited:
I've used it, but it's not my favourite way to seal a electrical connection. The adhering qualities is somewhat suspicious.
I bought a bottle of it, but haven't used it yet having only learned of it via that recent video. I use heat shrink tubing on switch/connector/etc. leads, but this will be useful for insulating where heat shrink wouldn't be useful. As long as it sticks well enough to not fall off on it's own, I'd actually prefer relatively low adhesion to allow easy and clean access to the treated surface if that is necessary for repair or mods.

Back