Tracking Powder: Best color choice?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been a tracker at the recent NARAM when we had mostly abominable sky conditions (and for point of reference I've tracked at 8 or 10 NARAMs), I can vouch that when you have non-uniform overcast with layers of ragged clouds, black (tracking) powder is by far the best. You cannot see delay trails against the overcast and you have to give the trackers something they can pick up rapidly at ejection. The fluorescent orange or red are great against a blue sky ONLY; in messy overcast they are pretty tough to see.

Has anyone tried glitter? I bought some red glitter a while back but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Hey,, That's a great idea.....
I've got to try that one...
Very course glitter I would think....

Teddy

Glitter: All Glitters are much heavier then either straight colored powders (Chalk or Tempra color) or cut 50/50 Color/Talc baby powder. If your not concerned with achieved altitude glitter may work. I loaded almost 8oz of multi-color glitter in my 65th 4-D12 powered model. it only had an estimated 650foot flight. but NONE of the flight observers observed a bit of glitter.

IMHO I strongly suggest sticking with colored powders for tracking clouds.

I have been thinking about popping glitter with my ejection charges. I took a charge well and loaded it with a BP charge and a couple table spoons of glitter. I could hardly see any glitter when I popped the charge. The sun was shining and I was only 50 feet away.

I'm not sure if tracking powder is needed for flights that aren't competition flights. You'll eventually see the parachute for tracking purposes.

It's used in competition because, ideally, the ejection happens near apogee and that's when the competitor wants the rocket to be seen. The parachute will come out shortly thereafter and provide a nice visible target, but that's not preferable for competition. Seems like a hassle for typical sport flying because it is indeed messy. I still have some shoes with orange stains from epoxy powder from a few NARAMs ago.

Bought "Baby Powder" cheap from a local salvage food store that was labelled Beibi Poedur or like that. Still have some of that somewhere. The nice thing with talc is it's also a dry lubricant so nose cones slide out easier.

Would add a Tbsp of red or fluorescent orange chalk dust to make the model easier to spot during demo launches.

Has anyone tried glitter? I bought some red glitter a while back but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Glitter is metallic and a contamination hazard following ejection... Anyone looking up in the wrong spot when the cloud lands and gets it in their eyes... Plus it will persist in the environment for awhile... I know as a landowner I'd frown on it on my property... And I don't see how it would be very visible, especially compared to chalk....

Later... OL JR

In terms of visibility, red for clear blue skies is most visible, for cloudy skies black has the most contrast.

Back