Looking for Tables

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I need help in finding a good table to cut carbon/glass/kevlar on. To me it is the best method to cut the cloth in and along with having everything else i.e. epoxy, mandrel, etc. on the table. I'm looking for more or less a 5' x 8' table.

Most appreciate it.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

The size height and shape are up to you, I sacrifice some Black garbage bags.

Epoxy won't even stick to black garbage bags! Tape them onto your table. Cover the table with them!

Cover the bags with a layer of cardboard.

That's what I use.

The size height and shape are up to you, I sacrifice some Black garbage bags.

Epoxy won't even stick to black garbage bags! Tape them onto your table. Cover the table with them!

Cover the bags with a layer of cardboard.

That's what I use.

I will consider that. Right now I am looking for the actual table for me to buy. I dont have one and I am asking for help in finding one that is 5' x 8' at least.

Alexander Solis

Costco has those plastic fold in half tables. Mine is 24"x60" I think. I would guess there are bigger ones (not a Costco member, so don't know).

Adrian

Do you have a Sam's club membership? We are having a sale

I dont, my mom does, however, I think it needs to be renewed. What size tables do you have for sale?

Alexander Solis

Costco has those plastic fold in half tables. Mine is 24"x60" I think. I would guess there are bigger ones (not a Costco member, so don't know).

Adrian

I went to their website and the only largest they have is 6' x 3'. Thats not bad, but not large enough for when I want to do 4" diameter tubes. Using 75" of cloth is really a lot.

Alexander Solis

2 saw horses, 2 2x4s, a sheet of plywood and a sheet of the shiny white board, makes an awesome work table that can be taken down and stored. The Whiteboard allows you to write on the table and wipe it off later, and half the time epoxy will pop right off. I have 2 setups like this that I set up in the garage to do bigger projects with epoxy and carbon fiber. I also have a 4 foot attic fan to suck out the vapors, a respirator and good quality nitrile gloves. Do not ignore the safety stuff with epoxy, I developed an allergy after 2 years of working with it and that is no fun at all. Thought I was going to have to quit epoxy work completely.

I went to their website and the only largest they have is 6' x 3'. Thats not bad, but not large enough for when I want to do 4" diameter tubes. Using 75" of cloth is really a lot.

Alexander Solis

I work tomorrow I'll check for you... Can it be folding? Wood or plastic?

2 saw horses, 2 2x4s, a sheet of plywood and a sheet of the shiny white board, makes an awesome work table that can be taken down and stored. The Whiteboard allows you to write on the table and wipe it off later, and half the time epoxy will pop right off. I have 2 setups like this that I set up in the garage to do bigger projects with epoxy and carbon fiber. I also have a 4 foot attic fan to suck out the vapors, a respirator and good quality nitrile gloves. Do not ignore the safety stuff with epoxy, I developed an allergy after 2 years of working with it and that is no fun at all. Thought I was going to have to quit epoxy work completely.

This sounds like a really neat and cheap set up. Writing on it would be great to allow for marking where to cut. I have been working with carbon lately and having a table set up would make things a lot easier.

I have had 4 years working with epoxy and have yet to get an allergic reaction from it. However, getting it on you really becomes a pain. That is why I still wear nitrile gloves all the time.

Alexander Solis

I work tomorrow I'll check for you... Can it be folding? Wood or plastic?

I guess plastic is better since it will allow epoxy to pop right off it. I prefer no folding as it can create problems when cutting with a rotary cutter.

Alexander Solis

I would build one. A few bucks worth of 2X4s and some particle board with shiny top and you have a bullet proof table any size you like

For cheap and dirty but for a very flat and stable bench go to your local Mom and Pop hardware/lumber place.

Ask them if they have any damaged doors. Just the doors not the pre-hung kind. They occasionally have doors with shipping damage.

I really like the bi-fold closet doors. Take all the knobs off but on the bi-fold doors leave the hinges. This makes it easy to fold it in half for storage.
Very light and very stable!

Just lay it on two cheap plastic saw horses (Harbor Freight cheap ones $9.95 a pair!)

Instant table!

Just add more doors and saw horses to make it bigger.

And everything folds up and stands in a corner when not in use.
Also makes a great table to use at a launch. Easy to transport if you have an SUV, station wagon, (are there still station wagons???) or pick up truck. They lay flat so they don't take up a lot of room.

BTW, you want the cheap hollow doors.:eyeroll:

Last edited:
The table itself isn't a big issue, it's just a way to hold up your work surface. I have a workbench with an MDF top. every couple of years I throw it out and get a new one. MDF is cheap and it's nice and flat.

I would build one. A few bucks worth of 2X4s and some particle board with shiny top and you have a bullet proof table any size you like

I have a workbench with an MDF top. every couple of years I throw it out and get a new one. MDF is cheap and it's nice and flat.

I you have a permanent space for it, building a solid worksurface with a removable MDF top is the best bet. In my shop, the most-used tool is a 5' x 6' island. I built a tool chest into one end, cabinets along one side and the other long side holds composite fabrics.

If you build your own solid table, you will be able to hammer on it and clamp to it without having to worry about it flexing and moving.

shop_reinforcement.jpg
shop_toolchest.jpg

That's a really nice work table and located in the right place in your workshop. You can't reach more than 30" over a table so unless it's accessible from all 4 side any extra depth is a just a storage area or trash collector....

Bob

Looked today and I don't think we have one big enough in store but go to the website and select your closest club/s and check stock there.

If you are looking for ideas check fibreglast.com. They have several layup stations. They are expensive but will give you some ideas if you build your own.

Looked today and I don't think we have one big enough in store but go to the website and select your closest club/s and check stock there.

I appreciate you looking Alethins, but it looks like I will scratch build one. All at the same time make a build thread.

Alexander Solis

If you are looking for ideas check fibreglast.com. They have several layup stations. They are expensive but will give you some ideas if you build your own.

I have checked that table of theirs before. It aint bad, but not that suited for my needs. Gave me a few ideas, however.

Alexander Solis

I you have a permanent space for it, building a solid worksurface with a removable MDF top is the best bet. In my shop, the most-used tool is a 5' x 6' island. I built a tool chest into one end, cabinets along one side and the other long side holds composite fabrics.

If you build your own solid table, you will be able to hammer on it and clamp to it without having to worry about it flexing and moving.

View attachment 182014
View attachment 182015

John, when I saw your video on how to cut fiberglass. I knew I had to have a table of my own to cut the fabric with a rotary cutter. I have one and grandma doesnt like me slicing up her table lol.

Your table set up is magnificent.

Alexander Solis

If anyone is interested, I took pictures when building the latest of these tables (for my ShopBot).

First, the base cabinets and a tool chest are leveled and the bottom sheet of ¾" plywood is mounted:

shop_table1.jpg

Next, the top sheet of ¾" plywood is applied, and the final shape of the top is cut through both sheets.

shop_table2.jpg

Then, I attach hardwood edging the same thickness as both sheets:

shop_table3.jpg

Finally, the MDF top is tacked down with brads and routed to match the top:

shop_table4.jpg

These tables are rock solid and great for working on. Of course, you can cut fabric, but you can also clamp to the edges and nail in T-nuts on the surface without them flexing.

Last edited:
Just get a cheap plastic folding table from Sam's and one of these rotary cutting mats: https://www.joann.com/36x59-cutting-mat/2622033.html. Believe me, quilters know a heck of a lot more than we do about cutting fabric, and this is what my wife uses. Total cost ~$100.

If by folding tables you mean the ones that fold in half or something? They can cause problems when cutting with the rotary cutter. Trust me I know this, because my grandma's table is a three piece table. It was not fun when you had some fibers still attached.

Alexander Solis

If by folding tables you mean the ones that fold in half or something? They can cause problems when cutting with the rotary cutter. Trust me I know this, because my grandma's table is a three piece table. It was not fun when you had some fibers still attached.

Alexander Solis

No they don't. Get a quality one from Sam's. They are sturdy, heavy, stable and aligned near perfect. Slap the rotary cutting mat down and go at it. Do it all the time. Look, you are only cutting inches at a time. Save money and buy more rockets or motors or CF or something.

No they don't. Get a quality one from Sam's. They are sturdy, heavy, stable and aligned near perfect. Slap the rotary cutting mat down and go at it. Do it all the time. Look, you are only cutting inches at a time. Save money and buy more rockets or motors or CF or something.

I'm actually cutting feets at a time. It takes almost 3 feet to make a 38mm tube. Then you got 6 feet for a 98mm tube. Thats the other problem is how big are the tables? I may end up having two together to accomodate for the length of the fabric.

Alexander Solis

Consider using melamine as well. Nice flat smooth surface. It might be on lumber core, medex, or particle board.

A 5' x 8' table sounds more like a dinning room table. I would check the local Goodwill or other Flea market type resellers and see if I could pick one up there.

Back