WildMan Sport build instructions thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!:y:

OK....I promise I will not use the can foam.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Ed

I use Aeropack retainers on all my high power rockets. But I no longer buy the whole thing. It's less expensive to just get the part that goes on the rocket and reuse the screw on part. And I also sprung for the extra cost of having my name and Tripoli number engraved.

Joe

What do you use to attach the retainer to fiberglass? Can we just use regular epoxy, or does it have to be JB Weld?

To be perfectly honest with you, on a small project like this, I have used 5-10-15 minute epoxy to install motor retainers.

There isn't enough heat sink in small motors to really effect the strength of the bond. When you get into bigger sizes, yes it becomes a factor.

If you plan on building larger rockets as times goes on, it would be worth your while to get some.

Every where has it for 4-5 bucks & it will last a loooooong time.

Others opinion may vary.....just mine based on personal experience .

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.52.57 PM.jpg

I attached the shock-cord to the loop in nose cone with a bow-line [knot] and another bow-line to the Y-harness loop in the fin can.

You could use quick links or any knot of your choice.

The nomex protector is also tied on with a bowline, once again you can use a quick link or knot/tape of choice.

Same for chute. The important part is keeping it fairly close to nose cone, so it doesn't bang into the fin can and chip your paint.

There are some detailed close ups of my build,in the sticky at the top of high power. " How to build a Darkstar"

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-quot-Stock-quot-3IN-DARKSTAR-CJ-Step-By-Step

Click on # 62 and start there. Bigger rocket...dual deploy... but methods of attachment the same. Much simplified for the sport, but based on same principals.

Good luck with your build!

Another question... Is there any need to add weight in the nosecone to balance the Wildman Sport?

You can jam a 5g 29mm CTI H160 skid in on of these Sport rockets and still be under model rocket rules if there is no waiver in place.

Kenny

Just an F.Y.I., if I am not mistaken all sparkies are now consider high power by both NAR and NFPA 1127 even if it is only a "F", or "G"
Is not an H by definition Hi-Powered?

Just an F.Y.I., if I am not mistaken all sparkies are now consider high power by both NAR and NFPA 1127 even if it is only a "F", or "G"

Under 1500 grams and 125g of propellant, and no need for a waiver. HPR is irrelevant.

David,
Thanks for pointing out the change(December 2008 Duh!), on the high power definition and " Class 1 rockets".
I asked the question for clarification and enlightenment which I find this forum very useful for.
Thanks again!
This has come up at our launches a couple of times lately in regard to "F" and "G" sparkies, which is a different question from an FAA waiver.
14 CFR 101.22(a):
Class 1 Model Rocket means an amateur rocket that:

1. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
  2. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
  3. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
  4. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
  5. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
Thanks again!

That only comes in to play when buying or flying them...... For those who are not already certified.

JD

what size nomex chute protector do you recommend for this?

Setting the nose cone loop was my first experience with 2 part foam. It floated the washer more than half way up the cone.

So I ripped it all out while the foam was a little soft and re-set the nut end of the loop with epoxy. Repoured the next morning. Belt and suspenders seemed to work okay.

Setting the nose cone loop was my first experience with 2 part foam. It floated the washer more than half way up the cone.

So I ripped it all out while the foam was a little soft and re-set the nut end of the loop with epoxy. Repoured the next morning. Belt and suspenders seemed to work okay.

Mine floated a little bit as well, but nothing too bad.

Did you drop the loop in first.....,spread the loop...then pour the foam in between?

Or the other way around? Just pouring first and dropping loop on top.

If you wait too long to pour the foam,it begins to rise almost immediately & that will cause issues.

Foam is easy to use, but there can be a bit of a learning curve, as with any new adhesive used for the first time.

I've never had any issue with stuff "floating"...wonder what happened in your cases.

It was my first time for foam. My boy's 2nd time. He built a Wildchild up at MTU with Bill B. He says they tacked down the end of the shock cord with epoxy before foaming over.

I put the loop/nut in first and poured over. I think the main problem was that we had too much foam. As it crawled out the top, it seemed to drag the cord with it. And a lot come out the top that we wiped away. (Alex said they did the same wipe-away- the-excess with the ViltKinder builds.) Even pulling off to the side, with each sweep, the cord rose up.

So now we know. Less foam. Pour quicker. Tack things down if in doubt.

I dropped mine in and poured over it. Barely any lift.
Now, as I'm tying on the shock cord, I've got my bowline knot, BUT, how do I keep the Kevlar from flaying at the end?

One last question. Maybe. Is any surface prep of the fiberglass needed before primer

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410356400.204019.jpg

Worked better this time. Next build I do like this, I'll probably do the external fillets first - some foam wept out of the leading edge of the fin slot.

Last edited:
One last question. Maybe. Is any surface prep of the fiberglass needed before primer

Sand lightly with fine paper. Lay it under a pyramid during the full moon. Run around the pyramid showing your full moon.

OK, maybe the last two aren't really necessary, but do you want to chance it? :dark:

Adrian

Sand lightly with fine paper. Lay it under a pyramid during the full moon. Run around the pyramid showing your full moon.

OK, maybe the last two aren't really necessary, but do you want to chance it? :dark:

Adrian

I was running around my house with a bare rump before I read the rest of your post. My wife didn't mind, but the neighbors were crying. Huh.
;-)

Back