Rustoleum 2X Primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I really like the 2X white primer and grey primer, not much luck with the other 2X paints. My question is do I need to use a Automotive lacquer based primer first or can I start and finish with 2X primer? Also since I have not had much luck with the other 2X gloss paints how is the Rust Stop Rustoleum Spray paints?

You can use the 2x start to finish. If your going to use auto lacquer lay it down first. I've not had any problems with the 2x paints --might want to check your spray technique. As far as the rust stop goes. Never used it--no need to on paper/fiber/wood rockets.

I am a fan of the 2X line. I just started using the Rusto 2-in-1 Primer. Seems to sand pretty well, but is has quite an odor for the first 24 hours or so. I was using Plasti-Kote Spot Filler & Primer but it is harder to find and more expensive.

The real issue with 2X is not the paint, it's the nozzle. Have an extra two or three known good nozzles around from old cans to switch out and you are fine.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I was using Rusto 2X but had some great results then some poor results from the quality of paint itself. I did online research and discovered this is a problem with the Rusto. Here is an example of Rusto 2X gone bad for me and this happened a couple of times. I do like the primer though.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59327-Vintage-Estes-Astron-Sprint-Build

I typically use Duplicolor high build primer and have had good results with the 2X colors over that. Oddly, the only time I've had trouble with the 2X, it was over the 2X primer.

I thought the same thing and Rustoleum was great about sending out a lifetime of nozzles, but that was not the issue. There is something in the can that causes the paint to clump up and the problem is you don't know about it until it starts spatting out on the rocket. The paint starts nice and smooth then Kaboom, have fun sanding. Right now my favorite paint is Testors Model Masters, but expensive even with 50 percent coupon and Wal Mart Color Place at .99 can. The problem with Wal Mart is very limited colors and takes 7 days to dry.

I thought the same thing and Rustoleum was great about sending out a lifetime of nozzles, but that was not the issue. There is something in the can that causes the paint to clump up and the problem is you don't know about it until it starts spatting out on the rocket. The paint starts nice and smooth then Kaboom, have fun sanding. Right now my favorite paint is Testors Model Masters, but expensive even with 50 percent coupon and Wal Mart Color Place at .99 can. The problem with Wal Mart is very limited colors and takes 7 days to dry.

It helps to shake the can...

Seriously, usually these sorts of issues are a result of insufficient shaking. Also, setting the can so its half-submerged in hot water for a half-hour before painting also thins out the paint and raises the propellant pressure in the can. THEN shake the can, and once you think you've shaken it enough, shake it the same length of time AGAIN...

Test the spray pattern before you start... if there's a nozzle problem or something, now's the time to find it. Shake the can every minute or two while painting... seriously you simply CANNOT shake the can too much...

That said, one will STILL OCCASIONALLY find a can that the paint has 'skinned over' inside of the can or something or the pigments clump or something that messes it up. Best to just toss those cans... BUT, that's pretty rare...

I'm wondering where you're getting your paint... how it's stored, and how it's been stored before you got it. If it's been out in a sub-freezing garage all winter or in a con-ex box in a Minnesota winter or something, that COULD be the cause of your problems...

Later and best of luck! OL JR :)

Back