Lev 3 or Hybrid

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Area66

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my winter off season, at first I was supposed to prepare a rocket to make my Lev 4, but I'm considering to get Hybrid equipment instead. A Lev 3 will be only for the title as I don't really have a need for it or the waiver to launch M and N rockets.

In your position I would go hybrid . But if you come down for one of the big regional launches . But it would be few and far between .

I will for sure make static test with different formulation of grain fuel, this is very easy to do as you don't need to design the static motor with a reservoir in mind, you use the tank directly to feed the static motor. But for launch, I plan to use Contrail motors, and I still have to check if it's legal in Canada, Contrail are certified by Tripoli, but the Explosive division of Resource Canada may have a word on it, all true I don't see how it's their concern, but we never know. I have only good words and collaboration from our Government official with regards to rocketry so thing should not be impossible to do. ( I can't say that to other government related issue )

Yes you could be in some parts of Europe and nothing is legal . Except a few hybrids . No black powder ,ap nothing .

Gerard,

l´hybride c´est le pied, ca passe au travers de toutes les legislations, ici ou ailleurs... et en plus...tu peux voler M hybrid en faisant un pied de nez aux fonctionnaires mal-pensant en toute tranquilité...et en plus..tu peux faire toi même tes reloads... Je te conseille vivement Contrail...(voir "propulsion").

Short version in Frenglish: Go Hybrid Gerard!!
:eek::kill::grin::grin:

Yes you could be in some parts of Europe and nothing is legal . Except a few hybrids . No black powder ,ap nothing .

Thats right, nothing is legal here but the beer is better ;-)
Joke apart, you need to light an hybrid and for that you will need ...something? ;-)

I didnt know there was a level 4. Z motor? Lol I am only kidding.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Gerard,

l´hybride c´est le pied, ca passe au travers de toutes les legislations, ici ou ailleurs... et en plus...tu peux voler M hybrid en faisant un pied de nez aux fonctionnaires mal-pensant en toute tranquilité...et en plus..tu peux faire toi même tes reloads... Je te conseille vivement Contrail...(voir "propulsion").

Short version in Frenglish: Go Hybrid Gerard!!
:eek::kill::grin::grin:

Merci, André, avec des gens comme toi pour supporter l’hybride, ça ne peut que donner le gout.

I will fly only with contrail motors and reloads, I already contact them, their is no problem to ship it here and I can get locally the Pyrodex pellets, they even ship it to me by ground courier and it's not Hazmat. Black Poweder is easy to get too from the same source, but I have to go get it in person, it's too expensive on shiping ( 125$ Hazmat ) The EX will be only static in the sand pit. But what I like most is the fact that it's relatively simple to build an hybrid motor if ever I Contrail stop to manufacture it, But I want to give priority to manufacturers, it's important to keep them.

Agree Gerard,

good choice and good speech, we shall support the few remaining hybrid manufacturers with lots of respect and enthusiasm!!

You shall have a look at the Hogdon Pyrodex pellets in Canada, if they sell. Here it is illegal unfortunately... so we light the contrails with... lots of beer ;-))

André , here my basket, witch one I should add more than 1 and witch one I should remove ?

hog_zps2ae011ba.jpg

Gégé, moi c´est Denis et pas André *lol*....well I have got no idea, as I said we cannot get the gut stuff here...I just know that Tom & Thomas Sander @ contrail recommended it to me so many times. I even got contact with the founder of Hogdon directly..but we cannot get it... Just pass a call/email to thomas at contrail, he would know immediately I think...
Here my recommendation: it works well with 4gramms of pyrodex...per fill lines of course (one in the 54mm monotubes, 2 only out of 4 in the 75mm hardware)
WP_20140703_007.jpg

A few questions; What size motor ot motors are looking at purchasing from Contrail? What will you build to fly the hybrid in? Or do you have a rocket in your fleet that will work with a hybrid already?

A few questions; What size motor ot motors are looking at purchasing from Contrail? What will you build to fly the hybrid in? Or do you have a rocket in your fleet that will work with a hybrid already?

Don't worry I know the special need of Hybrid motors.

There is a misunderstanding here: I was not questioning the hybrid needs... I was asking what size motor you intended to buy and what rocket you planned to fly it in... So what do you plan to build?

Not sure yet, but look like I will may try a PML ION, it give me a lot of good choice with 38mm Contrail motors ( 36" and less ) , I will even be able to launch a G300 without waiver since it's under 160N/s . But honestly it will be probably a fiberglass one with the altimeter in the nose cone.

ion_zpsc35397e2.jpg

Last edited:
GéGé,

my experience and recommendation: you shall choose any existing modern kit from Wildman or Madcow or Proline... with a FW NC. The trick is simply to order an ADDITIONAL coupler or avbay tube (as coupler).

you will simply position the ebay inside the payload tube and not at the edge. SO you use the additional coupler, touching eventually the avbay (easy to position in operational conditions). Now your avbay has moved forward but you still have plenty of space inside the nose cone with the remaining space of the payload tube to accomodate your main & harness. Just anchor the nc directly at bottom with bit more lead.

Got the picture? Now you can order nearly any kind of existing kit and push your long contrails inside... even longer than the booster! Add cost: just one coupler....I did it many time , e.g. my hybrid eagle claw with no other modifications runs now a 48" K-contrail motor and flies @ 2200ft !!

Denis

[No problems with hybrid motors up here. I fly them lots! You should as well! :)

Jason

oQUOTE=Area66;748143]I will for sure make static test with different formulation of grain fuel, this is very easy to do as you don't need to design the static motor with a reservoir in mind, you use the tank directly to feed the static motor. But for launch, I plan to use Contrail motors, and I still have to check if it's legal in Canada, Contrail are certified by Tripoli, but the Explosive division of Resource Canada may have a word on it, all true I don't see how it's their concern, but we never know. I have only good words and collaboration from our Government official with regards to rocketry so thing should not be impossible to do. ( I can't say that to other government related issue )[/QUOTE]

Go with the third one from the top. That is what I us and it works great.

Jason

QUOTE=Area66;748214]André , here my basket, witch one I should add more than 1 and witch one I should remove ?

hog_zps2ae011ba.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back