• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Assorted Igniters/Starters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkoenn

Retired NASA Shuttle Engineer
Reaction score
As the cleanup continues I found an assortment of igniters. The best are one Quik Burst medium size igniter, 6 electric matches, a couple of low powered igniters, and a load of old FSI wick and a couple of smaller BP igniters. I am asking $12 and again, delivery arrangements would have to be discussed. PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

I found another electric match and low power igniter so there are even more included now.
Igniters.JPG

Last edited:
No, he is saying that they are not called ign|ters... They are "starters"... :p

For starting motors, I use a key. For lighting motors, I use an igniter...

For starting motors, I use a key. For lighting motors, I use an igniter...

An igniter is a legal term that can bring ATF involvement depending on the formulation. Now we have to be a chemist and a lawyer to know the difference. I can tell you there's potential trouble from the FSI wicks, they are Thermite, a controlled explosives component and you're supposed to have a LEUP in theory.

I'm not sure of the legality of shipping the other "igniters" either. Some types there's no problems with shipping and others on their
"list" could land both the seller and buyer in trouble and it's hard to know which is which. It's like some of the electric matches are legal and some are not and it's up to you to know.

So some of them are legal to own and ship without problems.

Some are legal to own but require a HAZMAT to ship

And some are legal to own with a LEUP and a HAZMAT to ship.

Pain in the butt to figure out :p

Last edited:
Wait a sec... THermite igniters? Maybe I do want these...

Thermalite, not thermite. Very different.

Either way, not something you should be messing with, nor something you need.

If, at your age, you're involved in a project that would benefit from either, there should be a knowledgeable adult involved in the handling of said materials.

-Kevin

I used these FSI igniters back in the day and they were great. They are basically some slightly flexible pyrogen, similar to black powder, molded around a soft copper wire and entwined in nichrome wires. They create quite a bit of heat and FSI included them with all the BP engines they sold such as their D's up to their F7s and F100s. They always worked great and basically all you had to do was attach clips onto the igniter without letting the clips short to each other. The nichrome windings made contact at almost any point around the igniter. I never heard of anyone ever having anything bad happen with these igniters either.

Back