Couple of Quick Question on Quest Launch controllers.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanarin

Reaction score
Hello, I had a couple of questions about the Quest launch controller.

A) How long is the cord on the controller? I have not seen any info on it, but I am assuming it is 15 feet. Any definitive word though would be nice.

B) I was reading in this thread on YORF that the quest controller can support a 12 volt battery, but any info I have seen online says it only takes a 6 volt lantern battery. Can it actually support a 12v battery? I want to use it for lighting 18MM composites with first fires or Sonic iginiters if I actually can put a 12 volt on the end of the the external battery connector.

Yes, 15 feet or so (there's a little margin). The external clips adapter will connect to whatever you want. The question is how much higher a voltage the LED/beeper continuity indication circuit can handle.

Estes Sonic igniters will fire fine from the 9V internal battery or an external 6V lantern battery. Firstfilre Jrs might be a challenge.

Yes, 15 feet or so (there's a little margin). The external clips adapter will connect to whatever you want. The question is how much higher a voltage the LED/beeper continuity indication circuit can handle.

Estes Sonic igniters will fire fine from the 9V internal battery or an external 6V lantern battery. Firstfilre Jrs might be a challenge.

I've fired crapperheads with a 3S 11.1V 2200mAh Lithium Polymer hooked up, so FirstFire Jr. igniters shouldn't be a problem.

Hello, I had a couple of questions about the Quest launch controller.

A) How long is the cord on the controller? I have not seen any info on it, but I am assuming it is 15 feet. Any definitive word though would be nice.

B) I was reading in this thread on YORF that the quest controller can support a 12 volt battery, but any info I have seen online says it only takes a 6 volt lantern battery. Can it actually support a 12v battery? I want to use it for lighting 18MM composites with first fires or Sonic iginiters if I actually can put a 12 volt on the end of the the external battery connector.

Yes the clip leads are 15feet of 18/2 wire.

Yes Quests Pistol Grip Controller can Handle 12V batteries by adding or buying an External battery connecting cable with clips. This External drop cable is attached to the 9volt Battery connector clip inside the handle. No other alterations are required. I've used this system and several other Quest controllers directly with 12v Gel-Cells for many years. NO Ill effects noticed. Here are a couple photos of the conversion..hope they help.

Quest Pistol Grip controller-a-sm_& 12v cable_10-04-08.JPG

Quest Pistol Grip Controller-b-sm_Open bat box_10-04-08.JPG

Quest Pistol Grip controller-c-sm_On 12V battery_10-04-08.JPG

Ah, good to know it handles a 12V gel battery. It should also then handle a 3 cell LiPoly battery which has a very similar voltage at full charge.

Back