L2 Build Terminated

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used Acorn Nuts for one side.

Using Wing Nuts for the other side - I AM QUESTIONING MYSELF IF THIS IS A GOOD IDEA.
Picked up some "Thread Lock" from the local auto parts store. Used it on all the u-bolts, and the acorn nuts.

I think the wing nuts are a very good idea. I've used them on all my av-bays. One thing I did learn, although this is too late here, after the first couple bays I built, with my 11 lb L2 rocket, I use 3/16" threaded rod instead of 1/4". They were plenty strong and lighter.

Nice job on the build and nice detailed descriptions. Personally I don't think you should have a problem with wing nuts. I use them on my AV Bays and have not experienced any problems with them loosening.

Thanks for the input on the wing nuts. My fears is / was that they may back out easier.

Also, thanks for the kind words on the build. I am far from an expert in any of this. But, I personally learned a lot from other's build threads that have helped me along the way. My hope is that other will learn from this, and the those with greater experience will chime in with options to improve this build, or my future builds. Thereby making it a learning experience for all.
You learn from every build . Sometimes the hard way . A crash is not really a fail , it a learning experience when you are rebuilding .

On the mini eagle claw, the directions tell you to partially install the mmt, then dry fit the BT to the boattail over the CR. Then spin/rub them together until they're flush. I'm not sure it the method would scale up, or be effective. But it was pretty slick on the mini.

At any rate, I'd get them even.

Aeropack, not Aerotech. There's a significant difference...

Last Post for tonight...

I was warned earlier in the post to ensure the MMT was sufficiently long. Mocked up the MMT with centering rings and retainer. It shows about 2 1/2" of MMT beyond the front centering ring. The tube also measure exactly 36" long.
View attachment 184460

Now, I need to decide how much of the motor retainer I want to leave hanging out the back...
View attachment 184461

Willie

Interesting, I wonder if my main fin slots just got cut a little too high on the tube. Mine came with the green tubing btw. I took about 5/8" or so off the lower bt to get roughly a 1/4" of MMT beyond the top CR if I remember correctly.

Going to MWP VII? Should be fun to compare war stories on how ours got put together. No destructions makes it kinda fun.
\m/,

Back