TLP TAN-SAM Type 81 Launch Pics' And Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score

[video=youtube;SO6ylhJma9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6ylhJma9U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice rocket, TR. I love your launch site with all the greenery. You have a few more trees than what we have in Utah.

Thanks.

Yeah, definitely have to fly low and slow in these parts, and only on Windless Days.

Love the shadow and fire in that first picture. Clusters are the coolest !

Nice flight video TR!
Kind of got dizzy on the way down!:surprised:

JP

>Looks like lots of TLP fun!
:point::point::point::point::point::point::point:
What he said!

Clustering....
As HPR motors grew and became as cost effective as clustering, clustering has been on the wane. Witness most of the LOC clustered rockets are OOP.

A successful LPR, MPR, or HPR flight, whether parallel or delayed, is a joy to behold and very rewarding!

I built a clone of the TLP Nike Ajax with parts I won at a club raffle. It turned out too heavy to fly with BP motors so I flew it with with 3 24 mm reload cases (3 F24W or 3 F39T). The challenge is getting enough chute into the upper body tube for recovery without damage. Nike Hercules are neat for clustering also. I had a lot of fun with a small Nike Herc that flew on 4 A10 T engines and really scoots.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_4_Kits/Nike_Hercules_Plan_Set

Nike-Ajax.jpg

Nike-Hercs.jpg

Last edited:
I just hope that this Thread goes to show that Folks should not be afraid of TLP Kits.
Build them.
If they Crash and Burn, explain your Mistakes.
If they Fly well, share your Success!
Sims cannot make TLP Kits Fly perfectly, but you can!!!

In one of your videos, at the end, someone hollers out for your attention; exactly what did they say?
It sounded like the person was being pushy with their opinion...

JP

I have the Nike Ajax and I love the looks of it. It flies well on three D12-3's even if only 2 out of 3 ignite. Somehow I think the TLP Nike Hercules does not live up to the TLP standards. I like the Nike Hercules from Sandman much better.

In one of your videos, at the end, someone hollers out for your attention; exactly what did they say?
It sounded like the person was being pushy with their opinion...

JP

That was the Video for the "Meow Mixer". It was a Girl about 150yds. away who thaught I was launching Fireworks and that they would scare her Horse that was walking around in the Corral at the Park.

I see.

Keep up the Great work!

One of these days I'll figure out what's going on with our Smart Phone videos!
I've tried many things to no avail! Last thing I tried it ended up damaging the video
files and now I don't have them any longer.

JP

She's 17.2oz. without Motors, and she comes down faster than I'de like, so I made her a new, larger Parasheet last night.

The new Chute'+Swivel puts her at 18.4oz, but that's ok because her next Flight should be on 2 D21 Composites.

Last edited:
This added weight puts my CG far enough forward to comfortably use Estes Black Powder E 12 Motors.:)

Here she goes on D12-5s with 2 808 Cams mounted on Booms.

[video=youtube;QTItiJrt8U0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTItiJrt8U0[/video]

[video=youtube;VwLYp0sNXoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwLYp0sNXoM[/video]

There was slight Damage right above the rear Fins, so since I have her opened up to fix, I'm cutting away the Motor Hooks so I can use Black Powder E Motors and the longer Composites.

DAMAGEREPORT 004.jpg

CouplerFix 003.jpg

Attachments

• DAMAGEREPORT 004.jpg
    DAMAGEREPORT 004.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 12
All fixed up and ready to attack the Sky again.

Oh, and forgot to mention, I decided to stay with the Stock Motor Mount Configuration.

MARTEL OLIVE PAINT 018.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.
I just whipped those off to see if I'de like them on there and I do, so later I'm going to make them again but nicer, and do the rest of the Fins. I have plenty of Red Vinyl.

Here she is in her final Paint. I had to mask off the "Face" to match the Paint in that Area, and I made nicer red Circles out of Vinyl than were there in that last Pic'.

Final TAN SAM Livery 001.jpg

Not really, but it was pretty straightforward. I sliced it in two, cut away the damaged pieces, then made a Coupler to fit. I joined the Coupler into the lower portion with the rear Fins with a bunch of JB Weld. I set that into the forward Section to Dry with my Aluminum Angles mounted up to ensure that it all set up in-line. After a day I removed it and prepped the forward section for the JB Weld Epoxying, then did it all again with the Aluminum Angles clipped back on while it cured.
After it was all cured up I took it outside and filled in the little bit of Seam with Bondo Putty and sanded it smooth. After that it was just Paint and Vinyl Band to complete.

I might have a Pic'.

Here's one. I hung it, rather than set it on the Bench Stand so that Gravity would not influence the straightness while it cured.

CouplerFix 004.jpg

Back