Projects!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
I know it's early and a lot of people are trying to get their heads around where they will be in a year. My wife and I are expecting our first child in February, so I am sort of flying by the seat of my pants with regards to involvement in rocketry, but I do intend to be at this launch!

So, once we figure out where we're staying, how we're traveling, and other fun items, we need to figure out what we're going to be flying! So, let's hear about your plans as you hatch them!

My main focus is going to be a 54mm minimum diameter rocket flying an improved 2550 motor. The rocket will be thin wall FWFG tubing from Rocketry Warehouse and be as minimal as possible. My goal is to finally crack 20,000' and Mach 2 with a 54mm rocket while keeping it all under the waiver.

I have acquired a pressure transducer and a Dataq to begin down the road of collecting data from my motor static tests. I will be characterizing a propellant or two with the intent of making a killer motor for this rocket. The motor itself will be optimized as well, most likely capitalizing on a Loki research phenolic nozzle to maximize propellant loading and reduce weight.

The desired electronics for this rocket is the Telemetrum, which will require me to study for and achieve my Ham technician's license. I feel this unit gives me the best set of features for the limited amount of space I will have in the rocket's nosecone.

So, in closing, this is what I need to accomplish:

1. Receive airframe parts (currently on order, awaiting shipment)
2. Finalize fin design
3. Characterize propellant formulation
4. Pass Ham exam
5. Acquire Telemetrum
6. Build and fly!

All in under a year, challenge accepted!

Assuming I can make it, I am planning a 54mm MD rocket on a motor by one Manny B... :p

Planning on a bunch of stuff but specifically a 38mm carbon fiber md rocket on a J510 to 16,000ft at Mach 2 and a 5.5" nike smoke.

Last edited:
I'm planning on a scratch built FWFG two stage rocket. 54mm motors, 3" airframe. It will be 10ft tall and hopefully break 20k

+1 on the Ham license and getting a good tracker; then it's fly my almost finished Comp 3 two stage to over 20k.

I know for sure I wont need to worry about you breaking the waiver at LDRS with this.. Why? Because you wont wait a year to fly it and your gonna loose it first flight!:lol:

Ooh, shots fired...

No waiver breaking, the motor will be characterized and simulated to make sure that doesn't happen. The way things are shaping up, it will be too lightweight and will decelerate very quickly after burnout.

Dogpile on Dan...

I got 3:2 (based on recent history) it won't break the waiver because the motor will come unglued and incinerate the rocket at less than 5,000 feet. Either way, it's bound for the really cool reel....:headbang:

You're missing a considerable sample size flown at local launches over the past few months! I'm back on track...

I'm looking to do my L3 cert at BattlePark on a 1/2 scale Patriot by April. I'll have that along. The same 75mm M motor for that will probably go in the 4" scratch built "glass" rocket I'll also build by then. I'm hoping 17K - 20K feet on that. Grapeshot will probably make a flight on a Pro54 L935 which should push 9,500. I've got a lot of BTs and nose cones laying around, a 38mm MD might pop up too.

This should be a lot more fun then LDRS28 was, and that was a blast!

So we need to do call-ins for flights over 15K. Does anyone know what the max limit is? IIRC it was 23K at LDRS28.

Last edited:
That information is all on the website LDRS34.org.

Last edited:
psssst.... ldrs34.org/ :)

and it's 23,600 MSL (ground elevation is about 890.)

We stand at 15k or so AGL depends on what the tower has going that day... as for windows we generally have no issues getting one within a few minutes to up to 23,500 BUT you have to prove via sim at wont go over that or I keep them below 21k.

At URRF I "challenged" Tim L. to launch his ATV with a pair of O's. The challenge was accepted!
I just wanted to post this, just in case it might have slipped Tim's mind..... :wink:
A successfully launched Wildman O powered ATV would look spectacular at LDRS! :eyepop:
Greg

At URRF I "challenged" Tim L. to launch his ATV with a pair of O's. The challenge was accepted!
I just wanted to post this, just in case it might have slipped Tim's mind..... :wink:
A successfully launched Wildman O powered ATV would look spectacular at LDRS! :eyepop:
Greg

Lol that should be interesting.

A cluster of "O" motors would be COOL but..... that would make it a "P" and that would require the FAA get involved. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Bureaucrat opened that package :headbang:

There is a rocket for BALLS with 13 M motors and 200 something pounds of water ballast.
So the booster is built!!

M

My plans are...
1) Level 1 certification on my just-ordered Madcow Batray
2) Join a local TRA prefecture so I'm all kosher
3) Get to know some Northern Illinois people I can share rides with to launches and have people to talk rockets about that won't call me a nerd or roll their eyes
4) Build and fly a Level 2 certification rocket using DD by MWP 2015

My plans are...
1) Level 1 certification on my just-ordered Madcow Batray
2) Join a local TRA prefecture so I'm all kosher
3) Get to know some Northern Illinois people I can share rides with to launches and have people to talk rockets about that won't call me a nerd or roll their eyes
4) Build and fly a Level 2 certification rocket using DD by MWP 2015

#2 and #3 are a cinch--we have tons of active HPR flyers here in the Midwest.

Can the powers that be get the LDRS34.org page rated?

My FortiGuard Web Filtering will not let me hit unrated pages.

I would like to register but cannot get to the page.

Thank you

Greg

Back