Father and sons just getting started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7DeadlySins

Reaction score
Hi all. As my sons are starting to get a bit older the oldest one expressed interest in model rockets after he saw some during a trip to the hobby store awhile ago. After convincing my wife (was a hard sell....engines have to stay outside in the BBQ) we went down to the LHS and picked up an Estes Alpha III launch kit. Watched a couple vids on YT that helped me get an idea of how to build it (the ones by X-Rocs were especially helpful) and got to building it with my son. Was what I would consider an easy build and we had it done in about an hour or two and put it aside to dry/cure. Last weekend my son was anxious to launch it so we went out and picked up a pack of A8-3 motors and went to a large field in our area. It launched, but had a few hiccups along the way. The included launch controller in the Estes kit takes a 9V battery, and I had thought I brought along 2 fresh ones (turns out one of them wasn't fresh). Ended up breaking two of the igniters trying to figure out why it wasn't working until I used the 3rd on to test the battery and see if it would ignite, switched batteries and it ignited so I put the 4th and final igniter in to the rocket and off she went. Kids had a blast watching it go up, although sad that they could only do one flight....needless to say that I think there will be many more launches in our future.

As I am new I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to install the included wadding. I had crumpled up 3 pieces of wadding and stuff them in loosely, but the parachute still managed to get singed...in fact I am not entirely sure how it singed where it did. I folded up the parachute length ways a few times and then folded it in have so the center was touching the base of the shroud lines, yet it singed/melted right in the center of the parachute...luckily enough that was the only place and I have now cut it out so it has a center vent hole. Perhaps someone can help explain why it would singe/melt where it did? I have read about using alternative wadding such as the cellulose insulation colloquially known as "dog-barf", but really have no idea how much to use, also hoping someone can help me out with that as well.

My other sons each want there own rocket as well so we have picked up an Estes Firehawk for my youngest son, and a Phoenix Bird for the other one. I also picked myself up a Photon Disruptor ($10 was too good of a price to pass up). I am looking for mini motors for the Firehawk but the LHS doesn't seem to carry the 1/4A3-3T ones that are recommended by Estes for the first flight. Would it be a bad idea to instead use the 1/2A3-2T for the first flight instead? The Phoenix and Photon are slowly being assembled while I read up on finishing tips and techniques. Doesn't seem to be a rocketry club in my area and I know of no-one who is model rocketry hobbyist, so right now you folks are my best repository of information :D. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Perhaps you crumbled the wadding too tightly; it should be loose. You're just trying to create a barrier across the width of the tube. When the ejection charge blows, there are many bits of burning powder as well as very hot gasses. It's likely one of the bits of power singed your parachute.

I just launched a Phoenix Bird this past weekend. Depending on the age of your son, he may need some help. The Phoenix Bird is a little more challenging than your normal skill level 1 (for a first time modeler).

Don't worry too much about the first flight recommendations. Especially at such a low (low low) power. 1/2 A will be fine. (However, if the recommended first flight is an A, it's probably best not to put a C in there.)

I'll also suggest Apogee Rockets as a place with some good instructional videos.

Estes instructions these days are not so great with respect to wadding. They lead most beginners to make tiny little balls from individual squares of wadding. These small balls do not form a gas tight seal inside the rocket, so the flaming fireball of the ejection charge can just bounce between the little balls and hit the parachute and shock cord.

Here is what you want: you want to fill a length of body tube equal to two or three times the diameter with wadding and you shold be able to blow it down to the bottom like a blow-gun. When it is blown down, it will stop when it hits th tof the motor mount area and you will hear or feel a "THUNK" and then there will be resistance to your blowing into the top of the tube. If you can still blow into the top easily, then there is no good gas seal and you need to add more wadding.

The wadding starts out semi-loose (but not tiny little balls!!!) and when it is blown in, it bunches up a bit to form a nice piston that is still easy to move so that when the ejection charge goes off, the hot stuff stays on the bottom side and there is nothing but cool ari on the top and the piston of wadding can easily move upward to force out the recovery system.

As I am new I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to install the included wadding. I had crumpled up 3 pieces of wadding and stuff them in loosely, but the parachute still managed to get singed...in fact I am not entirely sure how it singed where it did. I folded up the parachute length ways a few times and then folded it in have so the center was touching the base of the shroud lines, yet it singed/melted right in the center of the parachute...luckily enough that was the only place and I have now cut it out so it has a center vent hole. Perhaps someone can help explain why it would singe/melt where it did? I have read about using alternative wadding such as the cellulose insulation colloquially known as "dog-barf", but really have no idea how much to use, also hoping someone can help me out with that as well.

My other sons each want there own rocket as well so we have picked up an Estes Firehawk for my youngest son, and a Phoenix Bird for the other one. I also picked myself up a Photon Disruptor ($10 was too good of a price to pass up). I am looking for mini motors for the Firehawk but the LHS doesn't seem to carry the 1/4A3-3T ones that are recommended by Estes for the first flight. Would it be a bad idea to instead use the 1/2A3-2T for the first flight instead? The Phoenix and Photon are slowly being assembled while I read up on finishing tips and techniques. Doesn't seem to be a rocketry club in my area and I know of no-one who is model rocketry hobbyist, so right now you folks are my best repository of information :D. Thanks for reading.

Dog Barf works and is very cheap.
But, because it is made of many small pieces you can get "blow-by".
After packing some wadding in the tube, try wrapping one piece of wadding around the rolled parachute.

Wadding Burrito.jpg

This is one last protective layer and should help with any hot bits that get past the regular wadding.

Here's two blog posts about wadding and a tool to help get a better seal.
Don't pack the wadding in too tight with a "Tamper" like the one shown.
Use it to get a better seal inside the tube sides.

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2012/01/wadding-tamp-tool-part-1.html
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2012/01/wadding-tamp-tool-part-2.html

You should stay with recommended engines until you know how the models perform.
It's no fun to have a rocket nose in, dig itself into the ground then eject the parachute.
Selecting the right delay is important.

Last edited:
I love the idea of wrapping the parachute in wadding. Can't believe I never thought of that.

hcmbanjo brings up an excellent point about delay times. Just to clarify my earlier statement, the recommended engines are recommended for a reason, and you should stick to those recommended for the rocket until you're more familiar with selecting engines. I merely meant to say, don't be too hung up on using the first launch recommendation first. It's probably going to be okay use the 2nd one on the list for the first launch.

Firehawk with 1/2A3-2T is fine and it will go about 225 feet. The 1/4A3-3T will only go about 88 feet.

Cellulose insulation ("dog barf") is fine. Use one small pice of regular wadding and insert it into the tube to form a cup shape. Then insert loose cellulose wadding to fill a lenght of body tube equal to 2 or 3 times the diameter. Then blow it down to the bottom.

obviously you would not install the motor until after you install the wadding or else you could not blow it down to the bottom.

For altitude predictions for Estes models, use the free Estes app.

Welcome to the forum. In addition to the LHS, check out the craft stores - Michaels, Hobby Lobby - and Frys, if you have them in your area. If your kids continue to show some interest you may consider a family outing to a club launch some time. You'll see some cool stuff and meet some cooler people I'll bet. And practice that pucker and blow method. It's fun and it works !

Welcome to the forum. I'm just getting back into rocketry since I left at the age of 16. My son is 8 and my daughter is 5. They've both just finished their first Estes kits, and my son is looking at his first mid power now... It's a great hobby! Where are you located?

...... After convincing my wife (was a hard sell....engines have to stay outside in the BBQ) we went down to the LHS and.......

Model rocket motors are quite safely stored indoors. Note that at your local store they are indoors, hanging right there on the shelf hooks, and no retail buildings have ever burned down because of model rocket motors.

It is actually counter-productive to store them in a BBQ grill. Such a dirty environment can cause contaminents to get into the nozzle and may cause ignition problems. High temperatures outside can cause thermal cycling and separate the core propellants from the inner lining of the case, causing incorrect motor burn and very high risk of motor failure inflight.

You can store motors safely indoors with absolutely no precautions, but if it makes you feel better, you can fill a plastic trash bag with dry sand, lay the motors (sealed in another bag) on top, and lay another plastic bag of sand on top. That will certainly stifle any flame that the motors might emit. But you are worrying about nothing.

That can of lawnmower gasoline is faaaaar more dangerous.

Thank you all for the replies. It has provided me with a much clearer understanding of how wadding works and how to properly install it. I am hoping that the weather stays nice for the weekend and if it does we will be hoping to launch that Alpha III and the Firehawk multiple times; so I will report back how that goes. I picked up a pack of Estes wadding when I bought the motors so I have quite a bit for now, but when that is almost gone I will take a look at the "dog-barf". Wrapping a piece of wadding around the parachute is a brilliant idea...Estes should put something like that in their instructions.

As for recommended motors. I was mostly inquiring about skipping the first launch recommended motor and moving on to the next one in the list for a specific rocket. With the Firehawk it seems that I can skip the 1/4A and move to the 1/2A (which is second on the list for recommended motors) without any ill repercussions. On the same note I would assume that for the Phoenix Bird I can skip the first launch recommendation of a B4-4 and start with the second recommendation of a B6-4? It seems that the local motor supply is not extensive so only the most common LPR engines are kept in stock (although I can order in anything from my LHS). Motors such as the A8-3, B6-4, C6-5 are all readily stocked at my LHS as well as TheSource. There was a second LHS in the area but it recently went under, hoping that another one returns in its place in the near future and carries more extensive model rocketry supplies.

I just launched a Phoenix Bird this past weekend. Depending on the age of your son, he may need some help. The Phoenix Bird is a little more challenging than your normal skill level 1 (for a first time modeler).

I'll also suggest Apogee Rockets as a place with some good instructional videos.

Unfortunately my middle son who is 7 is quite impatient and clutzy so the building has mostly been done by myself. I have the rocket fully assembled as per the instructions and am working on the finishing activities right now. When you say challenging are you referring to the building procedures or is it different to launch that most other E2X and Skill 1 rockets?

One thing that I was thinking of doing is putting a second parachute in the payload bay area and attaching that to the nose cone in case it slips out. My son wants to keep it as a payload area instead of just gluing the nose in permanently.

I will be sure to check out Apogee for some videos :D

For altitude predictions for Estes models, use the free Estes app.

Is that app (or a similar app) available for Windows Phones?

Welcome to the forum. I'm just getting back into rocketry since I left at the age of 16. My son is 8 and my daughter is 5. They've both just finished their first Estes kits, and my son is looking at his first mid power now... It's a great hobby! Where are you located?

Thank you. I am in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada :)

Welcome to the forum. In addition to the LHS, check out the craft stores - Michaels, Hobby Lobby - and Frys, if you have them in your area. If your kids continue to show some interest you may consider a family outing to a club launch some time. You'll see some cool stuff and meet some cooler people I'll bet. And practice that pucker and blow method. It's fun and it works !

I am in Canada and it doesn't seem like we have any Hobby Lobby's or Frys, and the Michaels here carries model planes and cars but nothing for model rockets :(

Can't seem to find any information regarding a local club in the area. Are there any online resources that might indicate if there is one, or the website of one?

Model rocket motors are quite safely stored indoors. Note that at your local store they are indoors, hanging right there on the shelf hooks, and no retail buildings have ever burned down because of model rocket motors.

It is actually counter-productive to store them in a BBQ grill. Such a dirty environment can cause contaminents to get into the nozzle and may cause ignition problems. High temperatures outside can cause thermal cycling and separate the core propellants from the inner lining of the case, causing incorrect motor burn and very high risk of motor failure inflight.

You can store motors safely indoors with absolutely no precautions, but if it makes you feel better, you can fill a plastic trash bag with dry sand, lay the motors (sealed in another bag) on top, and lay another plastic bag of sand on top. That will certainly stifle any flame that the motors might emit. But you are worrying about nothing.

That can of lawnmower gasoline is faaaaar more dangerous.

Thank you for the reassurance of the safety of stored rocket motors. Unfortunately I don't think it would help in changing my wife's illogical fear of model rocket engines in the house. She had a dream years ago of a model rocket engine setting the house on fire so since then it has been a hard stance of no model rockets in the house; it took a lot of convincing and bit of do first and ask forgiveness later to get to where we are now. So for now any motors are stored outside in a container until I can find a better place, happy wife = happy life lol. I was unaware of the damages fluctuating temperatures could cause to a motor. I store much more dangerous items in the house, such as LiPO RC batteries and she doesn't seem to have an issue with that. I think for now the best course may be to only purchase the motors on or a day before launch day and use them all at the field to limit what needs to be stored at home.

I am in Canada and it doesn't seem like we have any Hobby Lobby's or Frys, and the Michaels here carries model planes and cars but nothing for model rockets :(

Can't seem to find any information regarding a local club in the area. Are there any online resources that might indicate if there is one, or the website of one?

Well I think announcing your location here will bring more replies from other folks "up north". The Canadian Association of Rocketry may have some useful info for you as well: https://www.canadianrocketry.org/car_clubs.php

Unfortunately my middle son who is 7 is quite impatient and clutzy so the building has mostly been done by myself. I have the rocket fully assembled as per the instructions and am working on the finishing activities right now. When you say challenging are you referring to the building procedures or is it different to launch that most other E2X and Skill 1 rockets?

I meant the build. It has through the tube fins which requires the centering rings on the motor mount to be place fairly precisely. When you mentioned your kids were going to build it I looked up the kit and was a little surprised it was skill level 1.

One thing that I was thinking of doing is putting a second parachute in the payload bay area and attaching that to the nose cone in case it slips out. My son wants to keep it as a payload area instead of just gluing the nose in permanently.

If the fit is snug, then you shouldn't have to worry about it falling out. I left mine as a payload to hold my altimeter. If it's loose, then it's probably best to glue it or at least tether it. Otherwise it's more parts to hunt down and/or lose.

Is that app (or a similar app) available for Windows Phones?

No, unfortunately. I use a Windows Phone too. I'm working on an app for rocketry (mostly launch record keeping) that will run on Windows Phone (and other platforms). Another option is to download OpenRocket which is free. That will allow you to run simulations with various motors.

I used to live in Seattle. Loved visiting BC.

Last edited:
Well I think announcing your location here will bring more replies from other folks "up north". The Canadian Association of Rocketry may have some useful info for you as well: https://www.canadianrocketry.org/car_clubs.php

Thanks for the link. Seems to be one club in the province although it doesn't operate near my location. Unfortunately it seems the website link is no longer active.

I meant the build. It has through the tube fins which requires the centering rings on the motor mount to be place fairly precisely. When you mentioned your kids were going to build it I looked up the kit and was a little surprised it was skill level 1.

No, unfortunately. I use a Windows Phone too. I'm working on an app for rocketry (mostly launch record keeping) that will run on Windows Phone (and other platforms). Another option is to download OpenRocket which is free. That will allow you to run simulations with various motors.

I used to live in Seattle. Loved visiting BC.

Honestly I purchased the Phoenix Bird because of its through the tube fins. Figured it would be easier to assemble than one that need them glued on the outside lol. It was a longer build than the other ones so far but I found the instructions to be helpful.

Any new apps for Windows Phone are appreciated. It is too bad we do not have an Estes one with launch approximate launch heights relative to motor used. My wife has an android phone, maybe if I get some spare time I will look at making a port of that app for Windows Phone.

Thanks for the link. Seems to be one club in the province although it doesn't operate near my location. Unfortunately it seems the website link is no longer active.

Yeah I noticed that as well. No worries, just another data point that may be useful in the future.

Congratulations, and welcome!

I would not use a B4 on the Phoenix Bird. We have an Estes version and I don't think it's had anything other than a C6-5 since gitgo. It's my daughter's favorite! She has more flights on it than I'd attempt to count --more than forty. We recently upscaled it to a 4" version.

Anyways, the Estes kit, even on a C6, it doesn't go all that high --but that's ours... yours may be lighter... best with this to check the weight prior to launch--actually, that's best practice with any rocket...

Later!

--Coop

Congratulations, and welcome!

I would not use a B4 on the Phoenix Bird. We have an Estes version and I don't think it's had anything other than a C6-5 since gitgo. It's my daughter's favorite! She has more flights on it than I'd attempt to count --more than forty. We recently upscaled it to a 4" version.

Anyways, the Estes kit, even on a C6, it doesn't go all that high --but that's ours... yours may be lighter... best with this to check the weight prior to launch--actually, that's best practice with any rocket...

Later!

--Coop

Thanks :D Wonder why the recommended first flight is a B4-4 then. After the other posts regarding the subject matter I think I will definitely start with a pack of B6-4's and then move on to the C6-5

I am a Born Again Rocketeer thanks to my son. He is 8 and is about to start his first rocket built entirely on his own, either a Quest Astra or an Estes Fletcher. I taught him to glue fins on larger kits like the Estes Monarch and Der Red Max, the tube marking guide from Estes has been a great help to him for this. By using bigger kits to teach him, it has been easier to show him what I am doing and watch what he is doing as well. Now that he is doing one by himself, I figured that a smaller diameter will be easier for him to handle. Just work with each boy on a kit and let them do as much as they are able. The benefit of this is that you get to build some of the larger kits with them as "teaching aids". As their skills improve, do side by side builds, working on the same step together.

This is a great hobby in so many ways. I get to spend time with my son building, we get outside and play with fire together, we dream of the next kit and we build memories. Our best are from failures, like the Star Trooper that went from a sudden gust at launch and powered into the sidewalk and the Flutter-By launched on a B6-4 (it is now known as the Flutter-Bye-Bye). We are also starting to dabble in electronics so that we can build our own launch box. You have started down the rabbit hole now my friend, so hold on and have fun with your sons, it is not a decision that you will ever regret.

Great tip! My son is going to be building an Arreaux, and I'll be building a Wildman Sport... Side by side build will be fun!

We have done a couple this way, building the same kit so that I could demonstrate the step without doing anything on his build that wasn't absolutely necessary. We did a Mini HJ this way. When he does the next one, I'll be building one of the same skill level but a different kit. Kind of got that good feeling of being a Daddy instead of just being a father. This hobby is full of such moments for me. With the way my schedule seems to go these days, those moments are very precious.

To 7DeadlySins- You have chosen a great hobby to get involved in with your boys. There are not many that promote the same level of individual interaction. In my book, none other offers as many other avenues to explore together either.

If you ever have any questions, just come to TRF and they will be answered. Remember that there are no stupid questions; though some are oft repeated. Your questions will be answered or references will be offered.

I am a Born Again Rocketeer thanks to my son. He is 8 and is about to start his first rocket built entirely on his own, either a Quest Astra or an Estes Fletcher. I taught him to glue fins on larger kits like the Estes Monarch and Der Red Max, the tube marking guide from Estes has been a great help to him for this. By using bigger kits to teach him, it has been easier to show him what I am doing and watch what he is doing as well. Now that he is doing one by himself, I figured that a smaller diameter will be easier for him to handle. Just work with each boy on a kit and let them do as much as they are able. The benefit of this is that you get to build some of the larger kits with them as "teaching aids". As their skills improve, do side by side builds, working on the same step together.

This is a great hobby in so many ways. I get to spend time with my son building, we get outside and play with fire together, we dream of the next kit and we build memories. Our best are from failures, like the Star Trooper that went from a sudden gust at launch and powered into the sidewalk and the Flutter-By launched on a B6-4 (it is now known as the Flutter-Bye-Bye). We are also starting to dabble in electronics so that we can build our own launch box. You have started down the rabbit hole now my friend, so hold on and have fun with your sons, it is not a decision that you will ever regret.

I can already see this rabbit hole getting deeper :)...already dreaming of a Dr. Zooch Saturn V kit lol.

Also have looked at making my own launch contoller, and have a couple of designs I would like to mimic..but have no idea how to do it yet; especially one of them that uses an arduino.

To 7DeadlySins- You have chosen a great hobby to get involved in with your boys. There are not many that promote the same level of individual interaction. In my book, none other offers as many other avenues to explore together either.

If you ever have any questions, just come to TRF and they will be answered. Remember that there are no stupid questions; though some are oft repeated. Your questions will be answered or references will be offered.

Thank you :) I will try not to often repeat questions and use the search function when I can, but it is nice to know that the community here is welcoming to newcomers.

I do have a question that I can't readily find the answer for. What is the benefit of Kevlar shock cord over elastic shock cord? Is it pointless to use in LPR? There is a Canadian retailer that sells 10' of it for $2.50, seems like a good price to me.

Last edited:
Welcome to the hobby and TRF!

Don 't worry about asking questions, even if they are repeated often. We are a mostly friendly bunch here and enjoy helping others out. :)

The benefit of Kevlar is that it is very fire resistant. Estes kits commonly use sewing elastic or rubber band (useless) materials, companies like Quest uses a bit of Kevlar as a leader tied to a peice of tubular elastic. The leader is anchored at the motor mount and is subject to the flaming bits of ejection charge. The Estes type of shock cord attachment (tri-fold) is much higher up and does not need this fire resistance when your wadding is used correctly. Both methods of attachment work fine, though I'm sure we will hear a lot of opinions on this subject. Some folks feel the motor mount (MT) anchor method is better because it is stronger... some folks just use a very long piece of Kevlar and no elastic.... Try the different methods out and see which one you like. Done correctly, they are all tried and true.

Personally, I usually go with what the kit method is, switching out the rubber bands for elastic and usually going with a longer length to avoid the nosecone from springing back and damaging the rocket at ejection. The rule-of-thumb is 2-3 times the length of the rocket, more being better as long as it fits well in the tube.

Jerome :)

Welcome to the hobby and TRF!

Don 't worry about asking questions, even if they are repeated often. We are a mostly friendly bunch here and enjoy helping others out. :)

The benefit of Kevlar is that it is very fire resistant. Estes kits commonly use sewing elastic or rubber band (useless) materials, companies like Quest uses a bit of Kevlar as a leader tied to a peice of tubular elastic. The leader is anchored at the motor mount and is subject to the flaming bits of ejection charge. The Estes type of shock cord attachment (tri-fold) is much higher up and does not need this fire resistance when your wadding is used correctly. Both methods of attachment work fine, though I'm sure we will hear a lot of opinions on this subject. Some folks feel the motor mount (MT) anchor method is better because it is stronger... some folks just use a very long piece of Kevlar and no elastic.... Try the different methods out and see which one you like. Done correctly, they are all tried and true.

Personally, I usually go with what the kit method is, switching out the rubber bands for elastic and usually going with a longer length to avoid the nosecone from springing back and damaging the rocket at ejection. The rule-of-thumb is 2-3 times the length of the rocket, more being better as long as it fits well in the tube.

Jerome :)

Thanks for that info :). When you say switching out the rubber bands for elastic what do you mean? I am just using the rubber elastic shock cord lengths that are coming in the Estes kits..if there is an alternative like cotton covered elastic or what not that is commonly used for sewing I would definitely check that out. The elastic that comes with the kits seems like it would get brittle and/or tear easily after too many launches. Lots to learn with this hobby it seems.

I get my sewing elastic from wal-mart. one of the good things about the Estes 'rubber bands' is, in general they only last 3 days in the sun so, if you hang a rocket in a tree they come down fairly quick :).
Rex

Took my 3 boys up to a field today to launch some rockets and we had a great time. Ended up launching 7 times. The Alpha III went up twice on A8-3's and once on a B6-4. The wadding techniques you guys gave me really helped, and it felt like it was properly done. The Firehawk went up twice on 1/2A3-2T's. We cut holes in the parachutes and that helped bring them down a bit quicker and closer to the launch pad.

Yesterday I picked up a cheap launch kit that included a Skydart and a Farside. Took the Skydart with us to the field today and got two launches out it on the 1/2A3-2T's. It has a streamer recovery system so that was new/different. The first launch ended up singing a bit of the streamer (it's just that plastic roadwork ribbon) but we decided it was still intact enough to launch again. Second launch ended in a bit of a failure. The Skydart's elastic shock cord slips through the body and is held down by a launch lug retainer ring. On the second launch the shock cord snapped/sheared off in the body right at the tiny slit. The nose/streamer went one way as the body tube went the other. The parts are intact and good condition, but I don't think it is repairable. I glued everything on with CA. Personally I think the body tube was too skinny, and felt that the tube size of the Firehawk was a better size for a mini engine powered rocket.

Went early enough in the morning that the wind wasn't becoming and issue until we were almost done, and it wasn't too hot out. The boys already want to go again next weekend :D

...The boys already want to go again next weekend :D

:grin: Each launch ends with anticipation of the next! I love to hear of men doing stuff with their kids and being dads instead of simply being a father. Speaking of this, our Astra and Novia arrived this week, time to get building.

:grin: Each launch ends with anticipation of the next! I love to hear of men doing stuff with their kids and being dads instead of simply being a father. Speaking of this, our Astra and Novia arrived this week, time to get building.

I can be just a bad as them sometimes lol...already eyeing up the Aerotech Initiator launch kit and how I can convince my wife that it is a suitable xmas present lol...even though I probably have nowhere near by to launch it :)

I can be just a bad as them sometimes lol...already eyeing up the Aerotech Initiator launch kit and how I can convince my wife that it is a suitable xmas present lol...even though I probably have nowhere near by to launch it :)

It is for the boys right?:wink:

I am just as bad, maybe worse. When the idea of introducing my son to playing with glue and fire crossed my mind, he was my excuse to get back to rockets, Taser launch kit for Christmas! My next ploy is to use my Scout den as the latest excuse! I will be doing a build'n'fly with them this spring and my son built the Astra on his own as a "test" to see if it would be a good choice for the den, I built a Novia at the same time to see if it was a good option :D.

I may be in need of intervention but I get to have fun with my son until they gang up on me!

Hehe, so do I :) trying to find a way to justify to my wife a multi-kit purchase from estes with the crazy labour day prices...$5 for some kits is just too hard to pass up.

I always find it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. It's not like you're buying a Wildman Sport for yourself while it's still on sale for only $49...

Okay, at least you're not buying two Wildman Sports while they're still on sale. Right?!

Back