MissileWorks RRC3 Suggestion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

Always willing to learn!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First let me say I really like my RRC3 sytem and all of Jim's hard work.
For how I and few others in my NAR section fly, if it would be possible, to be able to set the on time for the Aux channel. Either a couple values 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds or in one second increments for a landing locator beacon.
Any one else think that this might be useful?
Thanks again Jim for the great products and the amazing give away donations.:eek:

It's already set up to do this. Look under Comparator..... Timer....in the manual. You can set it to switch on and off for any of the values you mention or have it switch on & stay on. Use it for rocket corn screamer, cut chute line on landing... turn on LED's etc.

Landing Locator Beacon
This example allows you to operate a loud piezo or horn with a “pulsed” beep once the rocket has touched down to assist
you in location and recovery operations. The Aux Output will activate the horn for 1 second, pause 5 seconds, and then
repeat. Recall that the repeat interval of the Aux Output is the Aux Output Control Value ‐ 1, so for a 5 second repeat, we
use a value of 6.
Aux Output Control Sequence (OCS) Event Only
Auxiliary Trigger Event Landing
Auxiliary Comparator Operation n/a
Auxiliary Comparator Value (ACV) n/a
Auxiliary Timer Interval n/a
Auxiliary Output Control Value 6 (Repeat 5 seconds)

Page 22 of manual.....I believe this may be what you are looking for. The aux channel is great. I use it for a secondary main charge on all my rockets with a single altimeter.

Last edited:
Ken, your original post said you wanted a programmable "on time"... as blackjack and titan point out, you can program an "off" time, however the "on" time is a fixed 1 second interval at the moment.

I'll take this suggestion into consideration when I start on the v2.0 firmware revisions. I'm using a new IDE vs. the TI CCS "freebie", and the tighter libraries and optimizations have netted extra code space since the initial release of the RRC3. There will be special emphasis to expanding the Aux Channel programmability.

Maybe my post was not clear enough.
First I have read the manual several times, particularly the section about the comparator and all I see is a choice to latch on continuously or for a 1 second on time.
I want to set the latch on time, to a longer value: 5, 10, 15 seconds.
As an example: turn horn on for 10 seconds than off for 10 seconds etc., than repeat.
A longer on time would make it easier for me to locate the rocket.
Titan II and Blackjack2564:

What I come away with from your manual quotes is that, currently you have only two choices for the comparator on time: continuously or 1 second!
Landing Locator Beacon
This example allows you to operate a loud piezo or horn with a “pulsed” beep once the rocket has touched down to assist
you in location and recovery operations. The Aux Output will activate the horn for 1 second, pause 5 seconds, and then
repeat. Recall that the repeat interval of the Aux Output is the Aux Output Control Value ‐ 1, so for a 5 second repeat, we
use a value of 6.
Aux Output Control Sequence (OCS) Event Only
Auxiliary Trigger Event Landing
Auxiliary Comparator Operation n/a
Auxiliary Comparator Value (ACV) n/a
Auxiliary Timer Interval n/a
Auxiliary Output Control Value 6 (Repeat 5 seconds)

Blackjack2564
Page 22 of manual.....I believe this may be what you are looking for. The aux channel is great. I use it for a secondary main charge on all my rockets with a single altimeter.
I am looking to to "activate the horn" ie the "one shot output" for a longer period of time: maybe 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds
I do not see how to do that.

Jim just confirmed my understanding of the manual.
Thanks Jim for your repsonse and great the products and service.
Keep up the great work!
It is much appreciated.

Turn it on twice in 10 seconds and making it really loud probably saves power and is more effective than keeping it on for 10 seconds.

I already do that and it is not long enough for my devices.
I understand the power issues.
The 10 seconds was an example.
The reasoning for a longer on time is for a dual tone or warbling unit, which in the location I fly, would make it eaiser to locate a rocket and also widen the choice of sounding units.
A setting option of 3 or 5 seconds would probably be sufficent and probably the example I should have used.
According to my calculations if they are correct. Correct me if I am incorrect in my thinking.
A 9 volt alkaline, NiMH or Lithium type battery have a capacity range of 300mAh to 1200mAh.
Worst case scenario of a on time of ~ 10 seconds, off ten seconds is woud be on on time of 30 minutes per hour at worst case draw of ~ 150mAh, would result in a two hour find window.
More than enough time for me to locate my rocket.

As a wrap to this subject, each activation of an output event results in a fixed 1-second duration.
Your suggestion is duly noted, Ken.

Latest posts

Back